Live Dig at an 1800s Farm Dump for Bottles

mrmozambique13

Sep 10, 2014
Riverside,Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites XL Pro with Black Max 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks exciting, nice video :thumbsup: Probe around a bit to see if u can locate anything.

B

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Video. @ 10:10 into the vid, I thought you had fell..lol

That place looks like it has potential...Need to have a good day of just moving rocks to see what you can unearth

Cool bottle!

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Yah another reason besides the rocks are placed so perfect that I think it is a building is because I found while metal detecting out their about 5 ft away was a piece of rusted iron that looked like a key hole.

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
How can I find the foundation without causing an avalanche?

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it docent look like a foundation ,but a wall . framers would not throw glass around there house. the bottle is a common 1900s medicine of some kind. You may what to dig around a foot or to two find whole ones .

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Look at the beginning of the video, on that particular side of the rock pile. Doesn't it look like the rocks were placed horizontally like on purpose or something or is that just my opinion?

mrmozambique13

Sep 10, 2014
Riverside,Ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there an field nearby? I see this kind of stuff here all the time, farmers cultivate the soil, and rocks get thrown into a huge pile with trash.

mrmozambique13

Sep 10, 2014
Riverside,Ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were a foundation it would more than likely have been mortared, possible root cellar?

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Yeah this property I counted 23 rock piles on 30 acres of land. (The land in the early 1800's used to have 103 acres.) however this is one of the only two that ever has garbage on it

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting area the rock piles are similiar to the ones I find here in ct. I don't think that was ever a building though its common to find glass around them. Keep looking there might be something good. Have you found the foundation to this farm yet?

Sent from my iPod touch using TreasureNet

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
It is still a house but everything is referbushed however the last owner did not care about the house so everything is gone

keith2004

Jun 16, 2012
alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
zero in on your property at this web site
NETR Online ? Historic Aerials
use the overlay tab to show roads
use the compare tab to place old topo maps on top of new google image
some areas have topos from the 1800's
a laptop and a mobile internet connection can be your best friend
#8 on bottle = 8 ounces maybe?
good luck

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to give you an idea of what you're looking at here is a stone foundation from a late 18th century dwelling that means late 17 Hundred's.
No mortar.

ForumRunner_20141019_083226.png

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detector metal detector metal detector metal detector metal detector!!!!!
Those are very old home foundations most of the stuff you're finding right on the surface probably wound up there well after the place was built and used it was probably already deteriorating when it was used for a dump at a later time.
Those rocks foundations were put there well before the farm.
There's no need to be moving all those rocks if you want to find the really old stuff ... It's going to be well below the surface by now every year the leaves fall and deteriorating they create more soil... people at that time would have burned and/or buried their trash away from the home that entire area is going to have artifacts around it..like old buttons,coins,..ect.... you should really take the time and metal detect it very well if there's a water source nearby I would definitely focus around that as well

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah this property I counted 23 rock piles on 30 acres of land. (The land in the early 1800's used to have 103 acres.) however this is one of the only two that ever has garbage on it

That's because they are all old home foundations for the most part in my opinion and only a couple someone decided to use to dump their trash in well after they were vacant.
You have metal detecting and relic hunters dream site there.
Probably colonial era stuff there

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is a left over from a building you might be able to find the foundation..The pile will go below ground? I would think that even way back they thought about freezing and thawing. I'm not sure..

They didn't make concrete foundations back then.
This is the foundation...wooden planks went on top.
Its a "cellar hole"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions