LLK & Dad back at the Ferry Crossing! More large cents, silver!!!!!!!

willpond & LLK

Mar 24, 2008
Wyalusing, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Cutless, Tesoro Toltec 100, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Cibola, Fisher F2, Fisher 1236-X2
LLK & Dad back at the Ferry Crossing! More large cents, silver!!!!!!!

Well just when you think you are having the detecting weekend of your life, it gets better! LLK and I hit our "Ferry Crossing" site again Saturday, the brush is over six feet tall now. We found a spot with some large maple and oak trees near the river and LLK started the search. I was her designated digger, after 20 minutes she wanted to give up, couple of horseshoes, square nails, etc., old junk, but still junk to her. She was walking toward me half swinging the coil and got a sharp, clear signal on her Tesoro Compadre. The first large cent appeared in the hole approx. 4" deep. Another hour and she added two more to her coin pouch. I told her about a spot 1/4 mile down river where a minor skirmish took place in 1798 between the local colonials, Iroquois Indians, and the British. She was eager to try it out, up on Dads shoulders she went, and I carried her the 1/4 mile to the site. Once again it was really overgrown, we searched for half an hour with nothing. I had spotted some rock piles inside the tree line and we moved in there to search. The fist find was a 175(?) Georgius II Rex British 2 pence (I think?) it was around the 6" mark. Next was a 180(?) Carolus IIII 2 Reale, followed by a 179(?) Carolus IIII 1 Reale both silver coins were around 5" deep! Needless to say LLK was jumping around like a nut, I had a smile so big, the 1/4 mile walk out couldn't erase (yes, she was on my shoulders looking at her coins)! I don't think any of these coins can be attributed to the battle site, but they are close to the correct time frame! LLK is asking to go detecting as I write this so it's off to the localschool for a clad fix after dinner!

Attachments

• DSCN2524.JPG
    DSCN2524.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 1,087
  • DSCN2526.JPG
    DSCN2526.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 1,094
  • DSCN2527.JPG
    DSCN2527.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 1,092
Upvote 0

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: LLK & Dad back at the Ferry Crossing! More large cents, silver!!!!!!!

Nice finds. It shows what can still be found out there.

I wish I could get my 8 year old son to go with me. He likes it for about 5 minutes and then gives up.

Good luck on the next hunt.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great post, great pics, great finds! Rare to find two reales in a single hunt...get back out there!

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

1235CE said:
Wow, I'm impressed!.........all of your clad always comes out very dirty yet somehow all of your 100-250 year old coins come out very clean, almost like they've never been in the ground at all ...........keep up the great work!

HH all!

Greg
Yeah, You should bottle the kids spit and sell it to coin shops. ::)
Chris

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Those are such awesome finds!!!! I would completely flip out if I found something that old! Y'all are my new heros!!
I have absolutely and without any doubt in my mind, or even thought of how, got to go somewhere that it's possible to find stuff like that. I can swing around all the old farms and this and that around Charlotte, N.C. that I want to, but I'm never going to find anything like that here. I'm excited, I'm stoked, I do believe, but I'm realistic. Has anyone in North Carolina ever found anything that cool? I know, we've got our share of civil war stuff. I've found "colonial" nails (square cut, hand made) that I was pretty happy about (don't laugh, I really was happy). But narry an older coin than my 1906 IH penny.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread