Loaded yard gives up multible silver and indians!

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit a yard last nite with my buddy, when we knocked and asked for permission the guy told me we were welcome to detect it but he said I want to warn you my dad has detected this yard pretty hard and he has picked it clean......lol, yeah right!!!!

My first pass gave up a 7" deep indian, then a wheat, and I was thinking this guy's dad must of had a cheap machine or didn't know what he was doing at all. This yard was loaded! All in all I got the following

7 wheats, with 3 of them being 1909, one was a VDB
4 indians, 1880, 1884, 1890 and 1897
1919 buffalo nickel
2 mercs both 1936
2 barber dimes 1898 and 1913
the rosie came from a short hunt saturday as well os the token
also in this yard I got the little star that says "Best Ever Club"

My partner also scored wheats and a real nice 1929 SLQ, so this yard was a good one, makes me wonder what the dad actually dug up there?

DSC00518.jpg

DSC00519.jpg

DSC00520.jpg

DSC00522.jpg

Upvote 28

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting your cleaning methods! I learned a ton from that. Appreciate you passing the knowledge along! (Now if I can just keep from dropping down the sink!)

lol I can one up you there, I dropped an Indianhead that I got at a club hunt down the toilet. Needless to say i didnt retrieve, afterall it wasnt a key date and I had 2 others w/the same date lol

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about giving us our secret to cleaning them. I'm always hesitant to cause damage. I wasn't saying they weren't dug just wondering how they got so clean. The ground where dig is pretty acidic and most old coppers are roached.
soil in NW Ohio is super mild, and that is how coins come out after I clean them, there is no secret I posted a link for u to my methods did u check it?

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats a sweet yard

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the kind words, hope The owner will let me hunt again, I had to quit because my back was hurting so bad I couldnt dig another hole, been having trouble with my back last couple weeks

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about giving us our secret to cleaning them. I'm always hesitant to cause damage. I wasn't saying they weren't dug just wondering how they got so clean. The ground where dig is pretty acidic and most old coppers are roached.

Daryn, it sounds like the ground in your area has not been easy on your copper finds. There is not much you can do to improve a corroded copper coin. In my area the soil varies a lot from site to site, and often within the same site. I've found a toasted green Indian head only 10' away from a beautiful brown one that looked like it came from a coin collection. So keep digging, you might find yourself digging some surprisingly nice coins. If the copper coin you find is only dirty (like the ones posted above) and not corroded, you can't get any better advice than the suggestions Goes4ever provides in his link above. Just click on the red letters in post #17.

arrowhead82

Dec 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow, the earth has really been kind to those coins!
excellent finds!

lisagoesmodern

Greenie
Jul 27, 2013
Greene County
Detector(s) used
Currently borrowing one - looking to buy a good used one! Any ideas or good ones for sale out there? Also looking for good ideas of places to go detecting. Just started doing this the other day, bu
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol I can one up you there, I dropped an Indianhead that I got at a club hunt down the toilet. Needless to say i didnt retrieve, afterall it wasnt a key date and I had 2 others w/the same date lol

lol. Too funny. What are the key dates you look for?

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
hmmm not sure how to reply to a comment like that, so here ya go
Cleaning Your Finds - Saving History One Piece at a Time

thank you, there always has to be at least one guy per post who likes to say my coins are too clean to be dug......lets see, GREEN patina on the indians, red patina on the buffalo, dirt still on the wheats.......lol, thanks to the people on here who actually understand what a dug coin looks like

Thanks for the tip. Was able to get an Indian Head Cent cleaned up enough to see some details. Still roached but I couldn't be happier with the results.

image-802041682.jpg

image-758702607.jpg

Thanks again!!!

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah not a lot more you can do when you have soil that eats up copper, I am very lucky to have mild soil where I live

Bell-Two

Aug 28, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac & Ace 250
Terry's methods of cleaning have been a great help to me, I too am in Ohio and in some spots I have dug coppers & nicklel that come out so nice that a warm soapy bath is enough, others well they looked like they were rode hard and put away wet! I can attest to Terry's scrupulous actions and attitudes, I have hunted with him and he practices what he preaches so no matter what anyone thinks I KNOW HE IS ABSOLUTELY HONEST... and if you don't believe I have nothing but pity for such a mean spirit that would doubt it.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one hot yard. Congratulations! H Digs

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry's methods of cleaning have been a great help to me, I too am in Ohio and in some spots I have dug coppers & nicklel that come out so nice that a warm soapy bath is enough, others well they looked like they were rode hard and put away wet! I can attest to Terry's scrupulous actions and attitudes, I have hunted with him and he practices what he preaches so no matter what anyone thinks I KNOW HE IS ABSOLUTELY HONEST... and if you don't believe I have nothing but pity for such a mean spirit that would doubt it.
thanks for the kind Words Tony

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I wish our soil were as kind to copper coins (IH's, etc...) Great photos. Great story. And I had to chuckle at the part about how the homeowner told you it's already been hunted before. So too have I heard that response from doors I've knocked on. And I'll say something like "Can I try anyways?, ...". And just like in your case, the average joe-blow who got one for Christmas 25+ yrs. ago, didn't know what he was doing.

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say the same thing! Can I give it a try because NO ONE gets everything!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread