Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I finally met the owner of a house near me that I've wanted to gain permission to for quite some time. Just before Thanksgiving, on my way to the post office, I saw a car in the driveway and decided to stop in and say hello. I'd already been in touch with the owner's daughter-in-law by email. The owner was very nice to me and said "sure go ahead" and we spoke about local history and the house. She gave me a tour and showed me some articles on the house.

Anyway, I started in the backyard and was really disappointed with what I wasn't finding. What appeared to me to be a dream property had almost no signals (good ones or trash) as I randomly meandered to find a hot spot. The back yard finally gave up a tombac button and a musket ball. I showed these to the owner as well as what looked like an old sheet music clip from an instrument and the junk I'd dug. She told me I could come back when I wanted.

I decided to try a strip near the house in the back and the front yard the next time I was there and I literally put my coil down on a flat button at a few inches. OK, now I was on the board. Next I dug a heavy rusted iron ring that's sitting in ACV at the moment.

In the front yard where I'd found really nothing on my first visit, I decided to grid. Low and behold my first target was a Colonial Knee Buckle frame -- my first ever, I was thrilled!

I dug a couple of flat buttons during this hunt. One says "WARRANTED - ORANGE - RICH" and the other has a backmark which I cannot read, but there is a circle of little dots where the eyelet is soldered on. Any ideas?

The most salient item I dug, not far from the buckle was a silver broach missing its mounting device, which is hollow with no maker's mark or markings of any kind. It is definitely silver as it came out of the ground almost like you see it. Due to the simplicity of its handmade design, I am thinking that it too is colonial. The trip was rounded out with an 1894 Barber Quarter and three IH cents, a 1906, 1908, and the best one is an 1859 Fatty! They cleaned up well in hot peroxide and are nicer than they appear in the scans. Need a bit more cleaning and some bees wax.

Oh, I also dug a roughly made 24mm ball, which I need to ID. It's too rough to be a musket ball. Is it canister shot? Anyone know the best way to clean up lead??? I also found part of a large pewter spoon bearing some wonderful "shoulders" above the spoon area. I understand this was done in the old days and I need to do a bit more research on this spoon as well as clean it up a bit more. Any tips? Many of these finds are just a couple inches below the surface and the soil in the front of the house in nice and dark.

A couple hours yesterday didn't disappoint, with a 34mm Dandy button that someone holed twice with a square nail after the shank broke off. It has quite an ornate design on it. And a beautiful two piece button which is part silver and was gilded -- it must have been a beautiful button in its day.

I also dug another flat button marked "TREBLE . * GILT * ." A lead seal of some sort that appears to have a N.J. on it. And an ornate garter clip which is missing it center bar.

I believe the reason why the back yard is not giving up finds is because the was a road near the house on the original maps which is now in a new location. Too bad, as this house is giving up some wonderful relics and coins!

Attachments

• Knee Buckle099.jpg
    Knee Buckle099.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 278
  • Silver Brooch (front)083.jpg
    Silver Brooch (front)083.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 265
  • Barber Quarter 1894105.jpg
    Barber Quarter 1894105.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 269
  • Canister Shot102.jpg
    Canister Shot102.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 267
  • Flat Button 1092.jpg
    Flat Button 1092.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 256
  • Flat Button 1093.jpg
    Flat Button 1093.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 247
  • Flat Button 3095.jpg
    Flat Button 3095.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 239
  • Flat Buttons091.jpg
    Flat Buttons091.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 251
  • Garter Clip089.jpg
    Garter Clip089.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 240
  • IH 1906 1908104.jpg
    IH 1906 1908104.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 249
  • Silvered & Gilt Button Two-Piece (front)085.jpg
    Silvered & Gilt Button Two-Piece (front)085.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 249
  • IH 1859103.jpg
    IH 1859103.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 244
  • Lead Seal087.jpg
    Lead Seal087.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 237
  • Pewter Spoon097.jpg
    Pewter Spoon097.jpg
    417.7 KB · Views: 278
  • Dandy Button 34mm (obverse)081.jpg
    Dandy Button 34mm (obverse)081.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 261
  • Dandy Button 34mm (reverse)082.jpg
    Dandy Button 34mm (reverse)082.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 253
  • Pewter Spoon098.jpg
    Pewter Spoon098.jpg
    564.8 KB · Views: 269
  • Silver Brooch (back)084.jpg
    Silver Brooch (back)084.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 230
  • What Is It096.jpg
    What Is It096.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Upvote 20
OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just readin ur post I can tell this place is gonna hav a special meanin to u for a long time to come. I really like how ur treatin both the owners and the history. Those r sum GREAT finds u got and I bet there's sum more just waitin on u.. Keep at it bud. Also is the hot perox good on the Fatty? I just found a 62 on sat and wood luv to know if it works.. CONGRATS.. HH P.S. I like the way u spell ur name, comin from another ERIK...

Hi Erik!

Being the property is a couple miles down the road from me and it's a house that catches the eye, I'm sure you are right. The owners have been kinder to me than I could ever imagined and I'm very grateful for that. There are some very expensive houses in the area so it's been a little intimidating for me to seek permission to dig in someone's yard, but I have been three for three this fall. This house is special as it has ties back to a prominent family in the area. Once I finish the yard, I'd like to fill a display case with the finds and maybe publish a little story in the local historical society newsletter.

Re the fatty IH cent, it seems to have cleaned it well, I may give it another bath or two and then cover with a thin coating of bees wax to help it retain moisture as the peroxide seems to dry the coins out. Congrats on the fatty you found--I guess this is my third one so far as well as a Flying Eagle which is also a fatty and they are always a thrill to find, though they seem to hit in the junk range on my Explorer. I guess that's why they are not very easy to find. Thanks again for your post!

Best, Erik

Last edited:

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I hunt farm houses, 95% of my good finds come from the front yard, the back yards are almost always trashy, great finds!

I wish that were true. Seems lately the front, back and sides have all been trashy for me lately!

Erik, I hear you on the intimidation factor. Nice yards or small yards. You ask if you can metal detect and they say, OK, then realize you have to DIG up your signals! Then the mood can change. But I've been blessed so far with very kind property owners.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great variety of saves!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fan-stinkin'-tastic finds!!

All the best,

Lanny

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a wonderful post that shows what establishing a relationship with the land owner can do.
You not only made some great finds...but you also made some new friends as well... which will more than likely open up additional sites.
Great post, brother...and sweet digs too!

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some excellent coins and relics, Erik. :icon_thumright: Glad you have a good rapport going with the owners. Good luck on future hunts there. :thumbsup:

HH

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
really cool finds, Is it just me or does anyone else see the hooded figure in the last picture on the right?......Hmmmm....................HH

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a wonderful post that shows what establishing a relationship with the land owner can do.
You not only made some great finds...but you also made some new friends as well... which will more than likely open up additional sites.
Great post, brother...and sweet digs too!

Hi Bryce--thanks for your post brother! We need to catch up soon on the phone. I showed the owner that beautifully engraved coin silver spoon that I found earlier in the summer when I first introduced myself and that broke the ice. It seems that her husband is related to that prominent family from which I believe the 18th-19th century spoon comes from. Establishing the relationship with them is important to me because it's always better when you can give something back as it's a win-win situation then and being to piece together some of my local history is just icing on the cake! Best, Erik

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on some excellent coins and relics, Erik. :icon_thumright: Glad you have a good rapport going with the owners. Good luck on future hunts there. :thumbsup:

HH

Hi Anne! Been meaning to catch up with you and see how you have been doing in that bean field that you owe me a turn in :laughing7: Last week or some has just been a blur for me as I've been too busy. Thanks for your post and talk soon! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
really cool finds, Is it just me or does anyone else see the hooded figure in the last picture on the right?......Hmmmm....................HH

Not sure what that last item is. It's either lead or pewter mounted to an iron backing. There is a very pronounced circular ridge on the non-ferrous metal piece. Just thought I'd throw it in there....hooded figure?!?! :laughing7: :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just wanted to say Thank You to all of those that posted such kind words on this thread and also those that I did not have a chance to respond to personally. Your words and encouragement mean a lot to me and I appreciate it very much!

Best, Erik

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Eric,I recently moved and all of my "Relics",are still packed away.I couldnt find all my small tightners,but did find one that my daughter decided to put in Olive Oil!None the less this is the style buckle and one example of the tightner
photo-7.jpg

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well Eric,I recently moved and all of my "Relics",are still packed away.I couldnt find all my small tightners,but did find one that my daughter decided to put in Olive Oil!None the less this is the style buckle and one example of the tightner

I hear you! We moved seven years ago and I still can't find most of my finds from prior to that! :laughing7: My item resembles the darker one in your pic (is that the one that ended up in olive oil?) as I can see that the center bar is missing on mine. Were they free standing or did they attach to the buckle somehow? I don't see any clear evidence of mine breaking off of something under a 10X jeweler's loupe. Very cool ID! :notworthy: Thanks so much for the clarification and for posting--I appreciate it!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You bet bud,it kills me not being able to find things you know you have....but I have been plagued with that my whole life!!
I just recently dug this one,and had some coins soaking in some O. Oil,my daughter decided to "help",this one I guess!
On the two piece buckle/belts one end of the belt was sewn or riveted permanent,and the other end was adjustable using these tightners to takeup/let up the slack .......I have some old pictures ....some where..:laughing7: showing them in use......I will look around for them

here are the larger variety
tightners.jpg

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You bet bud,it kills me not being able to find things you know you have....but I have been plagued with that my whole life!!

Yes, my wife (and her constant "tidying") is often the cause for this frustration in my life! :laughing7: (found one of my silver dimes once under the bottom flap of a box destined for the recycling bin! :BangHead:) Thanks for posting the additional pic--you've been able to add a lot of color to this item and I appreciate it.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one sweet hunt! Must be more goodies out there, especially after a good soaking rain!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a little different type,you can see the effect
KGrHwoman60_3.jpg

strateloss

Aug 21, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, E-TRAC, ProFind25, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats again on the awesome finds brotha, truly great work and research. Most of all, well done on getting permission!! It's not easy in Jersey. Most people love their lawns here and tend to spend a fortune on landscaping. In all honesty I too am intimidated from walking up and asking permission, I can see the expressions now....you want to do what?? :)

HH buddy, look forward to seeing more finds from there!!

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a little different type,you can see the effect

Ahhh, OK, that pic shows well how the clip was used. Thanks so much kuger for the ID and the history lesson! Is there a name for this "thing?" Mine does look like it came off of a woman's belt.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats again on the awesome finds brotha, truly great work and research. Most of all, well done on getting permission!! It's not easy in Jersey. Most people love their lawns here and tend to spend a fortune on landscaping. In all honesty I too am intimidated from walking up and asking permission, I can see the expressions now....you want to do what?? :)

HH buddy, look forward to seeing more finds from there!!

Thanks strate! Yes, it is not easy asking for permission, I am still not comfortable walking up to a completely strange house yet though i have done it in my mind a 1000 times (and been rejected a 1000 different ways :laughing7:). It's getting a bit easier though. I know how much people love their lawns in Northern New Jersey! And I can clearly see the expression on their faces that you are referring too. As the cold weather encroaches, we'll compare notes on how we go about getting some more permission
for Spring. Thanks for your post!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread