Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Fisher 1265x
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Local milks from a huge 40's dump in the woods

Hi all, I got out to a dump on Monday this week for a couple hours after work. The dump is huge, I'm talking bottles under foot every step you take for hundreds of yards. Unfortunately most are from the 40's-60's so I really have to work for anything good. from the amount of stuff there I'm thinking it must have been the town dump of that era but I have no idea how to check into that. There also seems to be a ton of medical/scientific stuff mixed in, like beakers and test tubes and chemical bottles... The first time I was here was a few years ago, and this was my first time back since then. I found some nice local milk bottles including a thompson's dairy, Martin's dairy and bunch of chestnut farms dairy's in cream tops, pints and half pints. I've seen the cream tops for sale online listed at $25 and I found 4! I also found about 1,000 broken tops from them :BangHead:I also found a Va license plate from 1940 that's in surpringly good shape. Nothing too exciting but I love finding local stuff!
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice milks! I like the looks of that 5th one from the left.

I have that same green Squibb bottle you've got there!

OP
OP
plugcutter84

plugcutter84

Oct 6, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Fisher 1265x
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! The fifth one in is the martins dairy and I like that the bottom says martin's dairy, near Olney. I saved the Squibb bottle for the color and the name, haven't researched it at all yet. Can you tell me anything about it?

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Edward Robinson Squibb (July 4, 1819 – October 25, 1900) was an American medicine man. He's got some waaay older bottles, some from the 1860s with applied lips.

The one you and me have is from around 1930-40. I found mine when I had just started bottle digging and kept it for the same reasons - funny name, great colour, cool shape!

OP
OP
plugcutter84

plugcutter84

Oct 6, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Fisher 1265x
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, thanks for the info!

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice milks . the problem with late dumps are that so much of the stuff is to common for even local collectors to get interested in . I have dozen's of milks from the town I lived in in n j . but thou nice , they were put out by the thousands.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions