Well my shovel almost disappeared into the ground in back of 1870s house! privy??

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WP_20160309_18_42_00_Pro.jpg WP_20160309_18_42_20_Pro.jpg WP_20160309_18_41_57_Pro.jpg So im out visiting relatives tonight and there showing me a recent void that opened up in back yard ohh boy looks like a possible privy or cistern, something? Let me back up about 4 years ago we dug a 18' monster privy in this yard and found tons of bottles. Now this privy was always thought as the second privy hole on property due to the fact at bottom of the one we dug all the glass was about 1860s and newer. The current house on property was built in 1870 when the original was torn down. Original house was circa 1840s and so could be older pits that were used in time of older house. So I am thinking positive that this is the original pit and full of pontil glass! Or maybe its old cistern, witch again would be a second unknown cistern because house already has one? I have no clue what this is exactly but only one way to find out. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would start off to the side, dig down and then work towards the hole. If you stand on THAT spot to dig, you are likely to take a long drop.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
If you stand on THAT spot to dig, you are likely to take a long drop.

Absolutely heed this advice! Imagine broken glass digging into your flesh as you fall - and the corresponding infections you'd endure.

Be Safe, period!!!

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes its no joke. Very good thing I'm going to look into this, my relatives are older and walk around area regularly. Neighbors had a large cistern collapse years ago and wow I heard it sucked down a 12' area. Very good advice in above comments. I will do more investigating in the morning but at very least before i leave I'll get some lumber and plywood and cover area just in case.

Last edited:

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah or it could even be an old well, and sometimes they fill them in with rocks but the rocks don't settle right away and get caught and suspend there, and under weight they can suddenly shift and drop down, and then you're in trouble. 'Hope you've got some bottles down there though, whatever it is!

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will attempt to probe for the sides, witch shouldn't be too hard. Find outside and dig down 4' or so and then into side I figure if I am on solid ground I'll be ok,,, sounds safe enough. I just want to get a better look for now. Amazing we probed all over that yard but not that area when we were looking for more privies some years ago, but missed this for some reason.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about a light attached to a go pro or other small camera and let it take a look first. Could be a killer....person killer that is. Be very cautious.

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Camera is a great idea too. Yes with all the safety aside I sure hope its a early privy with some good glass! Reason I want to post this at beginning if it does turn out good!

odancoiler

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2016
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer, Whites MXT,Eureka Gold,Garrett AT Pro,Grand Master CX3,Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get an 8 ft 3/8 inch rod,ground rods work pretty good. Sharpen a point with a grinder and probe that way. Shoveling could cause a collapse. Be safe.

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WP_20160310_09_06_20_Pro.jpg WP_20160310_09_04_57_Pro.jpg Well I found a 6' spring steel probe this morning to check out depth and size of hole. Once I found a void in between rocks and brick the probe just dropped into hole. Ok this is getting very interesting but one the other hand its got me very concerned about safety factor, bottles or not.

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WP_20160310_12_03_07_Pro.jpg View attachment 1283691 Must be an old cistern because its filled with water and is about 6' diameter. I am thinking of pumping or bail out water and take a look with camera on a end of pole. Probably not going to find any bottles but what the heck. It has a brick and mortar domed cap.

Last edited:

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will attempt to probe for the sides, witch shouldn't be too hard. Find outside and dig down 4' or so and then into side I figure if I am on solid ground I'll be ok,,, sounds safe enough. I just want to get a better look for now. Amazing we probed all over that yard but not that area when we were looking for more privies some years ago, but missed this for some reason.
==============================
IF you probe sideways be SURE that you look for the walls of it.
THIS would be deceiving to probe the side and work near the middle.

westKYdigger

Greenie
May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a cistern. 1800's. I have seen them before. Along with the brick domed top, the walls will also be mortared brick. That was to prevent contamination from outside. Depending on when it was covered up, there could be some good stuff. the walls could also be curved, so it might be bigger than 6' around. For your family's safety, uncover all of the domed top. If you take out part of the top, you will weaken the rest of it. You will have to fill in the whole thing (after you pump it out & look for goodies).

westKYdigger

Greenie
May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a cistern. 1800's. I have seen them before. Along with the brick domed top, the walls will also be mortared brick. That was to prevent contamination from outside. Depending on when it was covered up, there could be some good stuff. the walls could also be curved, so it might be bigger than 6' around. For your family's safety, uncover all of the domed top. If you take out part of the top, you will weaken the rest of it. You will have to fill in the whole thing (after you pump it out & look for goodies).

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Must be an older cistern because we already have one? Safety is number one and is main reason I am dealing with this . With the sink hole opening up the brick dome was already compromised and would prob. collapse soon. I agree if its going to be dug top needs to go. Or if we decided not to dig we could just dump sand down and figure that would fill it up, but then I will be thinking about this for the rest of my life wondering what I might of past up. Also I took a 14' pole and tried to find bottom but no luck it keeps going, seems to be full of muck. This is a bigger project then I thought. The crazy stuff us bottles diggers go through, insane I tell you. lol!

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called a local plumber who knows a lot about area. Meet tomorrow and get safety opinion and to the bottom of this. I will keep everyone posted.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I paid a septic guy once to pump out a mudded up garden pond......

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, thinking same thing. To a point. The thought of cobalt sodas and flasks being sucked up in a vacuum is horrible thought. I have seen it happen.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only suck the first one up, not all of them....those machines will get the mud off the top and a probe can tell if any glass is nearby. You'll have to start somewhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions