Local Public Auction... :) $

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a local auction on Tuesday, it was my first time... the way they do it is they have rows and piles then an auctioneer takes bids on "choice items" so that you can pick what you want. Then they auction off the rest of the pile. I seen a lot of cool things go for cheap but it being my first time I only made one purchase. I seen a crate of books that were recovery/alcoholics anonymous related. The bid at the time was for $5.00 for choice so I raised my hand. Being in recovery myself I figured for $5.00 it would be a nice collection. Immediately after the auction an old guy asked me if Id sell the plastic crate (he said he likes them for his garage) I said sure and told him $1. So the books only cost me $4.00 When I got home I was going through them and noticed one of the Alcoholics Anonymous Big Book's were a 2nd edition 10th printing. Listed it on the bay and its currently at $51.00 with 7 watchers and 5 days left. Nice to make some $ on a minimal purchase. Cant wait for next Tuesday (they do them every week) :)

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's nice that you can still find some deals at local auctions because I certainly cannot.. Not in the city anyway.. All of these auction shows have gone to people's heads and they bid things up way too high to ever make a profit off of them... They just want to go home and brag about going to an auction and winning something just like they saw on TV... It's even worse in the winter time because a lot of people have nothing better to do... Before the TV shows, there were maybe 20-25 people at the police auctions and now there's well over 100+... They can have all of that stuff as far as I'm concerned... I have other outlets, other auctions to fill my treasure hunting needs.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like if you were willing to spend more you could probably make a lot more. At $5.00 it sounds like you won because no one else wanted to have to lug that out. :laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's nice that you can still find some deals at local auctions because I certainly cannot.. Not in the city anyway.. All of these auction shows have gone to people's heads and they bid things up way too high to ever make a profit off of them... They just want to go home and brag about going to an auction and winning something just like they saw on TV... It's even worse in the winter time because a lot of people have nothing better to do... Before the TV shows, there were maybe 20-25 people at the police auctions and now there's well over 100+... They can have all of that stuff as far as I'm concerned... I have other outlets, other auctions to fill my treasure hunting needs.

I hear what you're saying and believe there is some truth to it because of the shows, but I also don't think all things go for 100% of their worth all of the time. The truth is most people are only knowledgeable in a select few type of items and unless they can absolutely steal something that is out of their realm of knowledge, they lose, and lose to someone who knows more. My inexperience was my biggest disadvantage 10 years ago, but now my experience is my biggest advantage. I'd say in all the things I bid on only a few % will make my jaw hit the floor for how under-valued my estimate was, and of course how blown out my bid got. But if I'm bidding on say 95% in the correct range, not all items are going to sell for what they're worth, and when they don't, I make money. It's a pretty tough game if you haven't been around, but thankfully I have. Just like detecting, buying and selling is a total numbers game for me, and the more active I am, the better and deals happen. I've also learned it's pretty easy to psych yourself out thinking there's nothing left to buy to turn a profit on, but it has never been true.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear what you're saying and believe there is some truth to it because of the shows, but I also don't think all things go for 100% of their worth all of the time. The truth is most people are only knowledgeable in a select few type of items and unless they can absolutely steal something that is out of their realm of knowledge, they lose, and lose to someone who knows more. My inexperience was my biggest disadvantage 10 years ago, but now my experience is my biggest advantage. I'd say in all the things I bid on only a few % will make my jaw hit the floor for how under-valued my estimate was, and of course how blown out my bid got. But if I'm bidding on say 95% in the correct range, not all items are going to sell for what they're worth, and when they don't, I make money. It's a pretty tough game if you haven't been around, but thankfully I have. Just like detecting, buying and selling is a total numbers game for me, and the more active I am, the better and deals happen. I've also learned it's pretty easy to psych yourself out thinking there's nothing left to buy to turn a profit on, but it has never been true.

I buy and sell a lot of bicycles in the summer time and the auctions that I have the most "trouble" with finding anything to make a profit on is the police bike auctions that are held once a month. We have the most bike paths of anyone in the country so there's quite a surplus of stolen, recovered, unclaimed bikes up for auction. Realistically, there are 3 different buyers at these auctions. 1) the end buyer who wants the bike for personal use... these people pay top dollar and sometimes over retail because they get locked on that bike and won't back down for anything. 2) the person who's buying back their bike that they never claimed, they know exactly what it's worth and are willing to pay to get it back... they also don't want to see anyone else on their bike so.. 3) me, the buyer who wants to at the very least double their money but it's nearly impossible when bidding against 1 & 2. That's fine, I don't blame them.

The other police auctions are the general merchandise auctions and those are the ones I was referring to mainly.. I've watched the crowds grow significantly since all of the auction shows.. Bigger crowds every month and items ending at sky high prices. $50 cordless drills with no batteries selling for over $100... $100 Used, beat up RadioShack metal detector selling for $140.. the list goes on. I would hope to think that these items are being sold to bidders not so knowledgeable. I definitely go preview all of the auctions and hang out because I want to know whats going on and I guess I just the atmosphere. As far as bidding, I've been leaving that up to everyone else as of late. I get much more enjoyment out of outdoor farm auctions in the summer. I want my auctioneer wearing overalls with a toothpick in his mouth rather than wearing Armani dress pants and a bluetooth headset. :)

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Nice pick, TH!!!

I've been attending auctions for most of my life. You can find some pretty good bargains at auctions. Many years ago, we did very well on "$2 boxes". Of course, we flea market too, so dumping all those items is pretty easy.

Speaking of $2 boxes, there are a few people around here that only buy $2 boxes, irregardless of what they hold, and take them to an open air flea market and sell anything in the boxes for 50 cents or $1. When the boxes get low, they trash the remaining items, and start fresh the next week.

The last time I went to auction I bought several $2 boxes. One had a stack of leather gloves, which I sold on ebay for $12 a pair for a total of $96. Another box had a set of unmarked seed planter plates that fit a Deere planter. Those sold for $50 as a BIN in only 3 hours.

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
If by chance you should ever discover the first edition, I would be interested in purchasing it....I can get a reprint from central office but it's just not the same...thanx goat

OP
OP
TreasureHunters

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If by chance you should ever discover the first edition, I would be interested in purchasing it....I can get a reprint from central office but it's just not the same...thanx goat
Ive seen some of them go for over $10k :)

I did see some dvds, I was going to bid on, about 35 movies in a box...they went for $40 a box, not too bad but to list each on amazon would have taken time etc, I only wanted to pay $20 a box. This is def a public auction though, were gunna take some boxes of crap down there that we were planning on donating anyway. Only thing is they keep 35% commission :(

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

I did see some dvds, I was going to bid on, about 35 movies in a box...they went for $40 a box, not too bad but to list each on amazon would have taken time etc, I only wanted to pay $20 a box. This is def a public auction though, were gunna take some boxes of crap down there that we were planning on donating anyway. Only thing is they keep 35% commission :(

I have personally done well selling DVDs. I know around here, a lot of people are big into used DVD sales.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like fun and 35% is really not bad. I've heard them charge up to 50% on box lots and small stuff. Everyone complains about eBay's 9% and PP's 3%. I just don't understand.....

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like fun and 35% is really not bad. I've heard them charge up to 50% on box lots and small stuff. Everyone complains about eBay's 9% and PP's 3%. I just don't understand.....

Because many people seem to think because it's the internet it should be free. I too will never understand all the crying over ebay fees.... and it's not like you don't know they're going to happen!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

DVD's at our local auction always seem to command top prices.

If you ever delve into boxes of DVD's or CD's, be careful. I've seen boxes full of DVD cases that are empty. I've also seen tons of scratched DVD's and CD's, making them worthless on ebay.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DVD's at our local auction always seem to command top prices.

If you ever delve into boxes of DVD's or CD's, be careful. I've seen boxes full of DVD cases that are empty. I've also seen tons of scratched DVD's and CD's, making them worthless on ebay.

Yep just like coin lots there's obviously people out there making lots of the junk they have left over. At least in person you can really check things out, not quite that easy buying online. I too create junk lots from stuff I couldn't be bothered making the time for, but the worthless stuff already went to the trash. I sort of had a good gig several years back that I was buying lots just to create lots, because no one was challenging me on the bidding side, and they were selling very well. But several things killed it so now it's just a junk lot here and there for me now.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've also seen tons of scratched DVD's and CD's, making them worthless on ebay.

I sell a ton of DVD's, CD's and Video game discs and when I bought them they were often scratched or wouldn't play. I would look them up and some would sell for as much as $75 but like you said "worthless on eBay" but not so fast. I heard about disc cleaners and disc repair machines so I looked into them and decided on the Disc-Go Pod Plus. I got it used off Craigslist for $250 and it has paid for itself over and over. A lot of video games and movies go for huge money and they look brand new in 5 minutes. If you sell a lot of discs then this type machine is a must.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell a ton of DVD's, CD's and Video game discs and when I bought them they were often scratched or wouldn't play. I would look them up and some would sell for as much as $75 but like you said "worthless on eBay" but not so fast. I heard about disc cleaners and disc repair machines so I looked into them and decided on the Disc-Go Pod Plus. I got it used off Craigslist for $250 and it has paid for itself over and over. A lot of video games and movies go for huge money and they look brand new in 5 minutes. If you sell a lot of discs then this type machine is a must.

I was about to mention something along these lines but I personally wouldn't pay $250 for a DVD repair machine... I also don't deal in DVD's... what I was leaning towards is that if you only have an occasional DVD that sells good but is really scratched up, bring it to a local gaming store and they will buff it out for you. I've never been charged more than $1 and the discs always look new when they hand them back.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was about to mention something along these lines but I personally wouldn't pay $250 for a DVD repair machine... I also don't deal in DVD's... what I was leaning towards is that if you only have an occasional DVD that sells good but is really scratched up, bring it to a local gaming store and they will buff it out for you. I've never been charged more than $1 and the discs always look new when they hand them back.

That is definitely an option if you only sell an occasional game or DVD but I sell hundreds ranging anywhere from $12 - $75 so it makes sense for me to just clean my own. If it has any marks at all I just run it for a minute or two and it looks like new.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a JFJ Easy Pro +. It works great and cost me $115. It won't take many games to pay itself. Just one Zelda game I have regularly sells for around $50. Bad part was I found out it didn't include necessary attachments for Gamecube games. Those cost an extra $30 something. I wrote the company an email and they sent them to me for free.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a JFJ Easy Pro +. It works great and cost me $115. It won't take many games to pay itself. Just one Zelda game I have regularly sells for around $50. Bad part was I found out it didn't include necessary attachments for Gamecube games. Those cost an extra $30 something. I wrote the company an email and they sent them to me for free.

I've never seen a Gamecube game.. What's the difference? Smaller? Every time I've had one buffed out they just held it in their hands and didn't use any sort of attachment. The first time I watched them do it I thought WTF are you doing to my disc

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it's smaller. The machine uses a different mounting plate and thinner pads for them.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it's smaller. The machine uses a different mounting plate and thinner pads for them.

Instead of finishing spray I just use a light spray of WD40. It works great to clean up the disc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread