Local Public Auction... :) $

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Yep just like coin lots there's obviously people out there making lots of the junk they have left over. At least in person you can really check things out, not quite that easy buying online. I too create junk lots from stuff I couldn't be bothered making the time for, but the worthless stuff already went to the trash. I sort of had a good gig several years back that I was buying lots just to create lots, because no one was challenging me on the bidding side, and they were selling very well. But several things killed it so now it's just a junk lot here and there for me now.

Talking about coins at our local auction place...

People will pay crazy amounts of money for coins that are virtually worthless in the coin collecting community. Recently, I watched a guy pay $17 each for uncirculated US sets from the mid 70's. Another guy paid $45 each for badly damaged Morgan dollars, and he bought a total of 20 of them. The coin shop just a few blocks away was selling better date Morgans in nice condition for $28-$30 earlier in the day.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love auctions, here in the corn belt we have alot of farm machinary auctions through out the year and there is all kinds of stuff not just machinary. I buy alot of trees (3'-4' tall) from there for a couple bucks. Last year I bought a 300 dollar garden tiller for 10 bucks, alot of tools for a fraction of there value. I once saw a combine go for 600 bucks, that is less then scrap value. They always have boxes up front with "junk" in them but I am never there in time for them ( they sart at like7 in the morning).

clorox

Jun 1, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Other

People will pay crazy amounts of money for coins that are virtually worthless in the coin collecting community. Recently, I watched a guy pay $17 each for uncirculated US sets from the mid 70's.

He might not have been too crazy. High-grade Ikes fetch a pretty penny!

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I went to an auction a couple months ago... bought two 360 degree laser levels for $30 each, sold them for near $200 each. Bought a $800 mig welder that I plan to keep for $90. Bought a pallet of items for $5 and sold probably $150 off of it and still have a lot more to sell. Bought some lumber for next to nothing that I'm using. Bought another pallet of stuff that I haven't even begun to sell, but I think I paid $15 for the whole pallet and should make a few hundred. Bought an old John Deere garden tractor with a hitch on it for $35 or $45, can't remember. Got a 24" printer on a stand, one like you print big blueprints with, for $10. Haven't sold it yet but about to list it. At another auction I won some fancy exterior door handles and locks for $3 apiece, sold them quick at $25 each. Got a McCoy mammy cookie jar for opening bid of $50 and lost money selling it for $50. Got a working wind-up victrola with elaborate tiger oak cabinet and stand with carvings for $100. There is a lot of good stuff to find at auctions.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

He's pretty crazy.... You can pick those up all day on eBay for $8 - $10 shipped. I got 6 70's and 80's sets two weeks ago for $3 a set at a yard sale (I thought I hit the jackpot) and sold them all on CL for $50. I was surprised how cheap you can still buy these sets.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

The local coin shop has been selling those sets for $6 each, and even less than that if you buy 10 sets. A friend of mine has been buying those sets from the coin shop and takes them to the weekly auction, and has been doing this for years. It is an easy way for him to turn $50 into $100 or more.

Am I missing out on the Ikes?

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

People will pay crazy amounts of money for coins that are virtually worthless in the coin collecting community. Recently, I watched a guy pay $17 each for uncirculated US sets from the mid 70's. Another guy paid $45 each for badly damaged Morgan dollars, and he bought a total of 20 of them. The coin shop just a few blocks away was selling better date Morgans in nice condition for $28-$30 earlier in the day.

I deal with that some to, and everyone does to some degree because coins value like everything else is a matter of opinion....although there is very good guidelines if you understand them. For some reason it does seem to add a little extra sting if you feel you got beat out by someone who didn't really know what they were doing, because not only did they take the profit away you could have made, but they will take a loss when they sell. But this is the type of thing that creates the checks and balances because people learn lessons real quick when they are losing money. I can use my own example which was buying a group of old junk watches, something I know very little about when it comes to selling, and I took a loss and never did it again even though I have come across large piles of the things many times.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I love auctions, here in the corn belt we have alot of farm machinary auctions through out the year and there is all kinds of stuff not just machinary. I buy alot of trees (3'-4' tall) from there for a couple bucks. Last year I bought a 300 dollar garden tiller for 10 bucks, alot of tools for a fraction of there value. I once saw a combine go for 600 bucks, that is less then scrap value. They always have boxes up front with "junk" in them but I am never there in time for them ( they sart at like7 in the morning).

Sounds like my kind of auction!!!!!

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
TreasureHunters said:
Went to a local auction on Tuesday, it was my first time... the way they do it is they have rows and piles then an auctioneer takes bids on "choice items" so that you can pick what you want. Then they auction off the rest of the pile. I seen a lot of cool things go for cheap but it being my first time I only made one purchase. I seen a crate of books that were recovery/alcoholics anonymous related. The bid at the time was for $5.00 for choice so I raised my hand. Being in recovery myself I figured for $5.00 it would be a nice collection. Immediately after the auction an old guy asked me if Id sell the plastic crate (he said he likes them for his garage) I said sure and told him $1. So the books only cost me $4.00 When I got home I was going through them and noticed one of the Alcoholics Anonymous Big Book's were a 2nd edition 10th printing. Listed it on the bay and its currently at $51.00 with 7 watchers and 5 days left. Nice to make some $ on a minimal purchase. Cant wait for next Tuesday (they do them every week) :)

Two of my closest friends hang around with Bill W all the time, have done for years, keep up the good work, in both directions.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread