mikesand

Feb 5, 2007
SE bucks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
BH Lonestar/ BH Pinpointer
Teknetics Liberator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well if it is between the two, then go with the lone star.
purchased mine on e-bay for a little over 100 bucks. only been to two different places to hunt and found plenty of stuff. no coins yet :'(
cause i'm still learning my machine.

HH
mike

S

skydiv

I have both the lonestar and garret ace 250. I started detecting with the lonestar finding lots of clad. no silver. used it for 2 seasons, then thought I needed a better detector so I bought the ace 250. I have used it about 3 years, and only found 1 siver merc and 1 sl quarter which I probably would have found with the lonestar. I am now back to using the lonestar, I like the coin id better, it's lighter, it doesn't have depth but that don't matter because most coins are found at 4-5 inches. right now all the places i detect have dried up I used both detectors and don't find squat.

BigRon

May 22, 2007
Richmond Texas
Detector(s) used
, BH Lone Star, BH Pinpointer, Homebuilt BFO, Index finger
I just bought a Lone Star and got the 10" coil. So far I haven't found much (It's been raining like a cow peeing on a flat rock around here lately), but the table top tests seem to give more depth. I hope to know more when it dries out.

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot
I've used the B.H Lonestar for about a year now and I love it. I was getting good depth with the stock 8in coil but came across a field that had modern top soil added so I purchased the 10in coil and have found coins very deep with it. Only thing I dislike about it, no depth reading before you dig.

northerner

Oct 20, 2007
Hello-I have been detecting for 5 years and find the Tracker IV to be a very relaible and user friendly machine. I have found many great items and been in Western and Eastern best finds. I have also published two articles in Western and eastern. I think any detectorist will tell you that the better you know your machine the more you will find. I will tell you that if your coils goes over it the Tracker IV will find it.I thought that bigger was better and upgraded in the Bounty Hunter line, it now sits on a shelf and the Tracker IV with a 10 inch coil never stays home. I have dug items quarter sized at 12 inches-so save your money-learn your detector and get the tracker IV-I would suggest doing research before heading out-there is nothing more frustrating than detecting for hours and finding nothing-spend that tine researching and you will be rewarded.

Mercury dude

Mar 8, 2007
Ceres
Detector(s) used
Stold by my x bounty hunter IV & Fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tracker IV, I had mine for a couple of years now and I found coins and stuff, but now I am looking for some gold.

hope to be funm, ok it alway fun Mding

jc from ceres, ca

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I see alot of people on this thread saying they're not finding much. That usually can be attributed to one or more of these things. 1.) lack of experience practice makes perfect guys and girls. I rarely return home empty handed but then I've been at this for quite awhile. Stick with it and you'll see a marked improvement over time. 2.) Lack of research which I believe is the number one killer of enthusiasm among begginers. Like everything else in this world success-full Metal detecting requires you to actually do some work thats not in the feild but rather by hitting the books. After all you cant find silver n gold in a places where there has never been any. 3.) creativity, looking where everyone else does is a good place to start, but not a good place to end. Before you leave that site grumbling about how someone else already cleaned it out, stop and think that statement over. If you really understand how these machines work then your saying that every square 1/4 inch has been searched, that's really not possible for any team of MDers let alone one. You can either slow down your forward motion thus searching smaller increaments at a time IE: 3-4 inches or less or you can think outside the box. What I do is think where would be the most unlikely location to search at this site. Try this alone and see what happens to your find ratio. I was just today reading in todays finds of someone who had found tons of silver coins in a well known "hunted out" site. His secret, He was searching where no one else had thought to try, by the front entrance gate. Which in the light of day seems to make perfect sense my mom used to pick me up at summer day camp right at the park entrance and it wasn't just me I remember alot of other kids waiting for their moms there as well. 4.) The fourth and last thing that affects a persons ability to find the good stuff isn't their machine, I hunt alot with my $130.00 dollar BH. I've used that machine along with other MDers using tesoros, minelabs, and DFXs, they can go deeper but given matching digging techniques I'll bet I average 3-4 finds recovered to just 1 for them. Now I would like to point out that my BH is a tracker IV or actually a wally world knock off of one, and not a Lone star which I'm totally not familiar with. But if your machine can reach six inches on wet soil using the first three things I've mentioned should help you make more and better finds.
HH MD dog 8)

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
After reading these post I feel better about my BH Lone Star! I'm brand new to this and was starting to think my detector is just no good. I feel confident now that with a bit of paitence and research I will likely find better things if they are there. Thanks, Shane Baton Rouge, La.

Samuelben

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter lonestar/junior
I like the lonestar ive found a few coins and a pocket knife,its good for deep detecting and small objects ive picked up tiny scraps of aluminum.i never tried the tracker though

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
all too often it the detectorist that has "problems" rather than the machine their using -- but the machine catches the "blame" --- many new detectorist buy and sell steadily going up the detector scale trying to find the "magic" one -- slowly but surely learning as they go along --- all the while their detecting skills are getting better in the process --- by the time a few years go past they know enough to be good and amazing their "high dollar" machines are finding the good "stuff" -- they don't stop to think how much they have "improved" their skills over the past two years --- and blame the "junk" machines of their past rather than their own lack of skills for their past failure to find the good "stuff"--- Ivan

Axel

Sep 3, 2006
Australia , NSW
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
I have a Tracker IV , it is my first real detector , and i've only used it 6 times at the most and so far i've been very sucsessfull... i love it , and each time i go , the more i find.
It's been all coins so far , but i'm hitting the beach tomorrow and hoping to find some rings... if i don't well it wont bother me , i'll just put it down to another learning curve.

ohio_ken

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2008
Hi, I have had a lonestar for about 4 weeks now. It finds coins very well. The only thing I wish it had was pinpoint mode. it can be difficult to pinpoint at times with it. Other than that, it has found many many coins for me, I have also from 1 mercury dime with it. :)

Rocco

Mar 16, 2008
I just purchased the Tracker IV as my first detector..Some of these comments are making me feel better about the purchase!

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
90% of the good finds are in the top 5 inches of soil. Any detector that will detect metal will find them. That said all that's left is for a detectorist who knows his machine and has experience in MDing+the right location. Even the worst amateurs like my wife find goodies when I put her on a good location. :thumbsup:

matzilla

Greenie
May 7, 2008
Muscatine, IA
Detector(s) used
BH TrackerIV, BH Pioneer EX
If you could choose between the two, for the same price, which one would you buy and why? Is one better at some things while another is better at others?

What are the pro's and cons of each the Lone Star and Tracker IV

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the quick draw II has "rough" depth ability and is a good lil machine -- in the BH line

between the tracker IV and a lone star -- the lone star is a bit newer model --the tracker has a old style type meter -- vs the lonestars more helpful display --- for same price --the lone star hands down

matzilla

Greenie
May 7, 2008
Muscatine, IA
Detector(s) used
BH TrackerIV, BH Pioneer EX
I bought a tracker iv today and my wife already has a Pioneer EX on the way...we'll be out detecting soon!

Thanks for the help :D

jcrockster

Feb 21, 2007
Kernersville, NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
I am very satisfied with my Tracker IV. I originally planned to give it to my son when I decided to upgrade. Now I just plan on getting him a Tracker IV. I'm sure there are alot of better MD's out there, but it's a great piece of equipment for the money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread