Lonely matron

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Well, I am very excited to have found my oldest coin yet- believe its a matron large cent. The years in our soil have not been kind- no date readable yet. Should I give her a nice warm peroxide bath, do you think? I was walking the other day along an old road when a noticed some pottery in the dirt, so thought I'd return with my detector. She was the first thing I found, and the only old item, the other finds were modern bullets. A little puzzling. Will try to broaden my search when I have time. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    730.4 KB · Views: 161
Upvote 2

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She looks to be in pretty good condition, considering the age. Do you have any close-ups? I wouldn't be surprised if you could pull a date off of this one. If the surfaces are stable, the peroxide might help you. In any event, she is a stellar find!

OP
OP
B

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Thank you so much. I had pretty low expectations, so I was shocked to find it- and thrilled!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your LC. :thumbsup:

HH
p.s. Try photographing it against a darker background. Your camera won't close down so much and the coin will be lighter.

OP
OP
B

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Thanks, michiganne, I'm not at all tech savvy, so need all the help I can get.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    664 KB · Views: 121

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
biyl,
The picture with the darker background is looking really good. Another suggestion though, try a piece of black or dark cloth that does not have any shine to it and see how the camera reacts.

The angle of the second picture is good. With the dark cloth background you might want to try a few different angles to see if any additional information shows.

Are you shooting with a flash? Do you have the camera on a tripod? Does the camera have a timed release? Does the camera have a white balance mode?

Try taking pictures with and without flash. Try pictures with sunlight coming through a white cloth (without flash). You may need to set the white balance of your camera to the type of lighting or make certain it is set for the lighting you are using. Having the camera on a tripod and then using the timed release will eliminate shake or movement from hand holding it or depressing the shutter release.

I hope some of this helps as that is a great find and I would like to help in showing it off better/helping to find the date.

Thank you for sharing......................63bkpkr

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you have the modified matron head (young head) or the braided hair variety - due to the angle of the chin line that i see.

OP
OP
B

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Thank you to bkpkr and argentium. Appreciate your input here! I actually am taking the photos with an iPad. Limiting, I know , but I used to have a very frustrating time tying to get my camera pictures to display. The iPad is relatively new, and so much easier in displaying photos here. Thanks for the tip about the make of coin.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you to bkpkr and argentium. Appreciate your input here! I actually am taking the photos with an iPad. Limiting, I know , but I used to have a very frustrating time tying to get my camera pictures to display. The iPad is relatively new, and so much easier in displaying photos here. Thanks for the tip about the make of coin.

I also use I pad the photos aren't to detailed its a pain to take pics with the digital put them on the computer then send them to the ipad.
A port for uploading would be a nice feature to this device.
Nice find looks worthy of an expanded search

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now looking at that last pic , I think my assessment was wrong - looks more like an earlier matron head .

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah a picture is worth a thousand words. Nice shot biyl, much more detail even with a challenging ipad! The background cloth absorbed the flash really well and the angle is good..............63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread