long time no post- Help, Excalibur 2

fourleaf

Oct 19, 2007
Creedmoor, NC
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II / Vibra p. 570
Hello everyone, i have not posted in along time due to working and traveling but i do check in on your fantastic finds. I was using a Whites Prism 3 and had alot of trouble with it and could not get Whites to fix it. So i saved up for a Minelab excal 2 and was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on differentiating the signal types. I watched a youtube video and saw how hard it is to tell the signals apart :-\. I know it is going to take putting some targets out and practicing but any help would be appreciated. Thanks again, James

Upvote 0

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a White's DFX which I absolutely love...this is my main land detector. I heard that the Excalibur is the best water detector out there (at least before the company was sold) so I purchased a used Excal 1000. The machines are so different that I would quickly get frustrated with the Minelab and switch back to the DFX on the beach. Then I purchased a CD on the Excalibur that trains your ears to hear the right target sounds. The next time I took it out I did not get frustrated and found a early 1700s Spanish cob. I think I purchased the CD from KellyCo.

Good luck...it is a really good machine.

NJ

leslie(nova scotia)

Silver Member
Sep 22, 2006
lower sackville,nova scotia
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garretts only
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the land of the Bluenose.....become one with your machine. Then dig and they will come! Happy hunting and good luck with the learning curve.

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
When detecting at the beach, dig everything.
Keep the disc at no higher than 3.
I've found gold at both high and low tones.
10k sounding like a burp to 18k sounding like high silver.

OP
OP
fourleaf

fourleaf

Oct 19, 2007
Creedmoor, NC
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
I went out to the lake during the hurricane. There is a small park there where I take my son and the wind was kicking but I still had fun. Found 3 pennies and 1 dime. Today I decided to go and ask a store owner in butner NC where some old parks were in his area. He said there was a reservoir up the road so I went and there was a park and it looked pretty good. I was getting pull tabs left and right so I stopped and pulled out a nickel,quarter, and penny. The penny was the same tone as the quarter at a high low tone. The nickel was a lower tone then both of those. So I put the change in the pocket and first tone was a little higher like the quarter and Penny. I dug a key out of a hole 3"in the ground. After about 10 pull tabs and a key my battery died. I put it on it's first charge and 14 hours to go. I wish the good stuff would be all high tones and the crap low tones, but all of it is mixed together. The headphones built into the excal 2 keep falling off my head due to the short cord. I still have not found any silver or gold in my 4 years of detecting. Best thing was a civil war lock. I will keep practicing. It was amazing detecting in the storm. Thank you for all of your comments, James

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrads on the New Machine, a very good choice. Think I have 5 now, and each has payed for itself many times over.

http://www.youtube.com/user/oldbeechnut?feature=mhee

http://www.youtube.com/user/OldeBeechnut#g/u

Lotta excal video stuff and more to come on "how to's" this winter.Those head phone you can throw in the trash after the warranty runs out........Living in the area you do check with the local oldetimers and see where all the spots they use to go swimming. On the CD at Kellyco......Basic Ear Training For Excalibur CD..........friend of mine purchased it..And it does help, but like all things...hands on and time is the best teacher...As far as the tones for me I dig only mid or disruptive tones..and miss the silver or clad...but as a beginner, dig all that gives you a tone, Iron will be discriminated out...and the excal has a fairly slow recover time in discriminate...

http://www.myspace.com/BETFE

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool videos Beech'! I'm sure they have helped a lot of folks. I don't use the Excal, but, even at that, it was easy to interpret the sounds after watching a few of your vids. The newbie Excal users amongst us would surely find that info useful!

tomjiggy

Sep 18, 2010
Trying to differentiate the various tones of a minelab can be difficult to say the least. I have a safari, so I know what you are talking about, but my safari has the digital number readout which helps tremendously. I think yours does too(haven't bothered to look up model), and by paying close attention to the numbers a signal gives can be really usefull in guessing what the signal might be. It's not always gonna be the same but most of the time it will. My trouble is batteries don't seem to last long enough, and pull tabs almost always look like coins to my detector(aluminum, unless it's foil will most times have a solid signal).
Hope this helps.

DymonsNRust

Nov 6, 2003
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Da Sand Crab said:
When detecting at the beach, dig everything.
Keep the disc at no higher than 3.
I've found gold at both high and low tones.
10k sounding like a burp to 18k sounding like high silver.
Absolutely - dig everything on the beach. I've found silver and gold objects that other detectorists have passed up with my Excalibur.
I recently found a gold ring with diamonds and a blue topaz that sounded like a pop top. The only complaint I have about Excalibur (not the Excalibur 2, but the older model) are the knobs. I do not abuse the machine and it's treated like a baby - believe me. The knobs just seem to self destruct.
After using the detector a number of years, you start to understand its language. Hands on experience, definitely!

OP
OP
fourleaf

fourleaf

Oct 19, 2007
Creedmoor, NC
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the advise. Frustrating as all get out sometimes. I will dig everything at the beach. I should get the CD from kellyco today for the excalibur 2 tones. I was using a whites prizm 3 for a long time until it messed up. Just tones is new to me with no display. Thanks again for all of your help!!! :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread