Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_6246.JPG IMG_6249.JPG IMG_6250.JPG
I was detecting a farm field looking to see if I couldn't tease up anything unusual, I was finding the normal tractor/wagon parts, scraps of cans, and as usual .22 slugs and round balls, then I found this, its lead like a bullet, its got a base like a bullet, its got a tip like a bullet, but there's way too much middle. the largest round ball is a .49 for reference

Last edited:

TomPA

Feb 13, 2011
Western PA.
Detector(s) used
F75
AT Pro Gold
Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe it was part of a much longer piece and was used for bullet making (cutting off pieces for the mold). It looks like it was nicked with a blade. Just a guess.

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it is a bullet it is probably a 6mm. I have seen a 6mm about that long but not without a jacket?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
might be misunderstanding you red james cash, but the largest hunk of lead in the pic I would agree is from a rifle because you can sill see the base, I'm not sure what caliber I think too much lead for a .22 but not a good size reference if I dont know what it is
the largest of the round balls is .50 cal according to my digital scale and a conversion table.

tony and sawmill you may be along the right lines, I find .243 and .270 casings around the field and jacketed slugs in it from deer hunting, maybe somehow the lead separated from the jacket

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice relics I wonder why you would need a bullt that long? Looks like a fun place to hunt

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
might be misunderstanding you red james cash, but the largest hunk of lead in the pic I would agree is from a rifle because you can sill see the base, I'm not sure what caliber I think too much lead for a .22 but not a good size reference if I dont know what it is
the largest of the round balls is .50 cal according to my digital scale and a conversion table.
I believe you are,I'm talking about one of your round balls,not the bullet at the bottom of the picture.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thought I might be, but I wanted to eliminate the obvious first.
im no expert on lead balls why is it from a rifle over a musket?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thought I might be, but I wanted to eliminate the obvious first.
im no expert on lead balls why is it from a rifle over a musket?

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
muskets were large bore usually .69 or bigger.I use to shoot a .50 muzzle loading rifle.The balls usually Mic at around .494 give or take.The ball has to be smaller than the rifle bore so you can put a patch on the ball so it grips the rifling.

Upvote 0

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the long bent piece is a bullet at all

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
may not be icewing, I really have no idea, I cant come up with anything else shaped like that I dont see how it would connect securely with anything and I dont see a function as it is. So I just went with what it most closely resembled, a bullet.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1672369 View attachment 1672370 View attachment 1672371
I was detecting a farm field looking to see if I couldn't tease up anything unusual, I was finding the normal tractor/wagon parts, scraps of cans, and as usual .22 slugs and round balls, then I found this, its lead like a bullet, its got a base like a bullet, its got a tip like a bullet, but there's way too much middle. the largest round ball is a .49 for reference

Is it copper jacketed? 6.5mm bullets are up to 1.5" long (0.264" diameter) but invariably copper jacketed. My "modern" deer rifle is a .260 Rem that is kind of an updated 6.5 x 55mm Mauser.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it was jacketed it separated from the core and at some distance from where I found it, it was an isolated hit on my big new coil. I was googling some of your suggestions and came across this
military-rifle.jpg
the 6.5 x 52 carcano looks like a winner, but an Italian/german military round ending up in a farm field in Kansas seems unlikely, im wondering if there is an American equivalent that matches as closely.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions