Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_6246.JPG IMG_6249.JPG IMG_6250.JPG
I was detecting a farm field looking to see if I couldn't tease up anything unusual, I was finding the normal tractor/wagon parts, scraps of cans, and as usual .22 slugs and round balls, then I found this, its lead like a bullet, its got a base like a bullet, its got a tip like a bullet, but there's way too much middle. the largest round ball is a .49 for reference

Last edited:

Bavarian Joe

Apr 11, 2007
if it was jacketed it separated from the core and at some distance from where I found it, it was an isolated hit on my big new coil. I was googling some of your suggestions and came across this
View attachment 1672685
the 6.5 x 52 carcano looks like a winner, but an Italian/german military round ending up in a farm field in Kansas seems unlikely, im wondering if there is an American equivalent that matches as closely.

Lots of Carcanos were imported to the US back in the 1960's. People used to make expanding bullets for hunting by filing down the tip to expose the lead core. Sometimes, the core would blow out and leave the jacket in the bore.

Upvote 0

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
It could also be a home cast 6.5mm Carcano “ pencil” bullet, very long and tend to tumble after a while in flight. I’ve never seen one that wasn’t jacketed but you can buy molds and it was a fairly popular hunting round when the surpluse guns were cheap. The ammo now is hard to find and very expensive so being home cast makes sense. It was also the same caliber Lee Harvey Oswald “ allegedly
“ used to assasinate JFK

Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
muskets were large bore usually .69 or bigger.I use to shoot a .50 muzzle loading rifle.The balls usually Mic at around .494 give or take.The ball has to be smaller than the rifle bore so you can put a patch on the ball so it grips the rifling.

I would like to know 'your opinion' Mr RJC on just how old his Round Ball's may be ?

As for the long Bullet? I think it was extruded while soft rolled into that shape or made for some other reason then carved on ? . If a bullet I'd love to see it in it's case (if it did not have a paper one ) ???

Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it was jacketed it separated from the core and at some distance from where I found it, it was an isolated hit on my big new coil. I was googling some of your suggestions and came across this
View attachment 1672685
the 6.5 x 52 carcano looks like a winner, but an Italian/german military round ending up in a farm field in Kansas seems unlikely, im wondering if there is an American equivalent that matches as closely.

That bullet has a jacket tho , If a bullet that size were un-jacketed , IMO It would be a very unreliable bullet esp , for military use. Some guy 'Wildcattin ' ? or playing around ?

The BMG 50 , is Scary.

Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could also be a home cast 6.5mm Carcano “ pencil” bullet, very long and tend to tumble after a while in flight. I’ve never seen one that wasn’t jacketed but you can buy molds and it was a fairly popular hunting round when the surpluse guns were cheap. The ammo now is hard to find and very expensive so being home cast makes sense. It was also the same caliber Lee Harvey Oswald “ allegedly
“ used to assasinate JFK

True , I forgot to mention the , JFK, reference. (That Boy could shoot). ???

Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A-Lot of great historic info here , thanks for the link , I just wish that I had a photographic memory.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the input Joe-Dirt, I thought that 6.5mm Carcano would not be the most aerodynamic projectile. That tumbling "feature" sure would ensure some real damage.

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say anywhere between 1823 to the production of smokeless powder.Why 1823?That's when the Hawkens brothers started producing bigbore rifles.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1672685

Not really - not until the 90's. But a TON of surplus Carcanos were imported to the US. For about $9. That's the rifle/caliber that assassinated Kennedy.

But VERY unlikely the core separated from the jacket in a bullet of that type. It would have to back out (the FMJ military bullets have a jacketed nose and open base.

The .260 Rem I shoot was introduced in 1997 to be an Americanized 6.5 x 55mm (Swede) Mauser. That had some traction in the US as a hunting round, as did the 6.5 x 54mm Mannlicher-Schonauer (a favorite elephant round of British professional hunter Karamojo Bell. Because the bullet penetrated without coming apart.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can support your date with a site ive dated to the 1830's, im fairly certain its an osage site and ive found gun parts from a rifle and a 50 cal scissor mold, ive suspected some of the round balls could be indian, I have yet to find any mine balls but I have found shotgun brass and casings from the late 1800's, its like there was a time gap from the 1850's to the 1880's. I wouldn't claim all the round balls are pre civil war but I would guess a fair share of them are.
as far as the jacket, maybe some combination of farming activity and fetilizers and such corroded or mechanically separated the core from the jacket.

Upvote 0

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
I can support your date with a site ive dated to the 1830's, im fairly certain its an osage site and ive found gun parts from a rifle and a 50 cal scissor mold, ive suspected some of the round balls could be indian, I have yet to find any mine balls but I have found shotgun brass and casings from the late 1800's, its like there was a time gap from the 1850's to the 1880's. I wouldn't claim all the round balls are pre civil war but I would guess a fair share of them are.
as far as the jacket, maybe some combination of farming activity and fetilizers and such corroded or mechanically separated the core from the jacket.
I've got a bunch of unjacketed 7mm Mauser that look exactly like that. I'll go scare them up tomorrow

Upvote 0

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I would like to know 'your opinion' Mr RJC on just how old his Round Ball's may be ?

As for the long Bullet? I think it was extruded while soft rolled into that shape or made for some other reason then carved on ? . If a bullet I'd love to see it in it's case (if it did not have a paper one ) ???

#12 in the posted photo line up

Upvote 0

TomPA

Feb 13, 2011
Western PA.
Detector(s) used
F75
AT Pro Gold
Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those appear to be long enough, but I believe he mentioned that the piece he found was 22 cal.

Upvote 0

TimberCrack

Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
white's 6000/D coin master
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a 6mm Navy Bullet to me...a .236 cal cartridge developed for the Lee Winchester straight bolt rifle developed in 1895...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry that was my fault tom I just said .22 because it was close to the same diameter of .22's I find. thanks guys I think I have some ideas now im going to have to pick my grandpas brain to see who might have had a gun that fired similar rounds.

Upvote 0

squidboy1951

Greenie
May 31, 2013
N. Fork CA
Detector(s) used
fortunate enough to have several
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100_4246 (2).JPG

I may have found the other end of your longest bullet/longest range bullet....California to Kansas :coffee2:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it could be, as you can see in the thread there’s some possibilities but I’m no bullet expert. This is the first time an old thread I’ve started popped up I was a bit surprised I guess I’ve graduated to a new level of t-netter haha.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread