Look at this 1971 D half.....doesnt make cents

halfhunter

Jan 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin looks almost uncirculated, doesn't sound like silver, I put a magnet on it and there is a slight pull.....????? The coin setting beside a 1973to show a comparison. The coin doesn't look to be tampered with. WHAT DO I HAVE, besides a 50 cent piece. Well I tried throwing on a couple more pictures but for some reason they wont upload on this site...

IMG_0094 (1).JPG

Upvote 0

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have gotten a coin exactly like this. I took to my LCS and the pro there said it is probably just silver plated. I haven't scratched it yet to check though just in case it was some kind of mint error. But in all my research I just keep finding that there were NO SILVER HALVES MADE IN 1971.

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin looks almost uncirculated, doesn't sound like silver, I put a magnet on it and there is a slight pull.....????? The coin setting beside a 1973to show a comparison. The coin doesn't look to be tampered with. WHAT DO I HAVE, besides a 50 cent piece. Well I tried throwing on a couple more pictures but for some reason they wont upload on this site...

View attachment 741266

I have to guess it is what you said it was a 1971D half

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does make cents, fifty to be exact.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the Denver mint made some silver halves by accident in 1971 and 1977. Best way to check is to weigh it.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Chrome plated most likely. Chrome is ever so slightly magnetic and so if its plated it will have a small tug (not the same tug that you'd get with steel or 100% nickel, but there could be an attraction)

OP
OP
halfhunter

halfhunter

Jan 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chrome plated most likely. Chrome is ever so slightly magnetic and so if its plated it will have a small tug (not the same tug that you'd get with steel or 100% nickel, but there could be an attraction)

My first thought was that it is chrome plated too.....I don't have a scale yet, but I might have to buy one. Who chrome plated them???

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a box that had 6 or so of the same type of coins, I totally thought I had silver lol..I kept them anyways, see how many I can find! See pics I did a magnet test and looky looky..Sticks like a champ but who knows!
co.jpg
co2.jpg
co3.jpg

Last edited:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I have a 73D, I think it is chrome plated. I thought it was a 90%, at least I didn't get 6 of them like OnaRoll.

73o.jpg 73edge.jpg

Last edited:

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haha yeah, oh i forgot to mention I put them in the coinstar machine and they came back, another reason why I kept them lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread