New way to coin roll hunt??!

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay so i'm not sure if this method has been used yet, talked about or if it would even work BUT do you think it would be possible to take a box of halves and shoot your metal detector on it to find out if silver is inside? The idea came to me awhile back and I have yet to try or test it (i sold my metal detector). Can anyone shine light on this idea, has it been done? I know that you can discriminate metals and such making possible for the metal detector to only look for silver..If this was possible, imagine the time saved lol..U would miss some proofs and rarities/errors but wow this would help out people with a heavy orders!! What are your thoughts? ???

Upvote 0

smitty58d

Feb 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bet you'll get some good fun responses on that question. It would be nice but it would take a lot of the fun away.

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I was thinking to myself maybe i stumbled on a CRH verteran secret, how else do people do so many boxes per week hehe (not serious I know everyone still does it the old fashioned way) hmm..Its kinda like knowing you got gold in the ground before you dig it up (silver in the box before you break into the box).

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought that maybe I am naive to even post the idea because it seems too obvious especially with all of the metal detector people apart of Tnet! We should have some people test it out for accuracy..Imagine not ever having to open the box and how it would save your eyes and hands lol! We should do some trial runs, take a full box under the metal detector then go through the box manually and see how spot on it is.

Graceful

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea! Hmmmm. But if it found something, you would still have to go through the box to see where it was, wouldn't you.

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes but you would have reason to open it up, if it shows silver is in the box you would ofcourse open it and see..From there you could shoot it on each roll or use a pinpointer, to locate the exact spot where the silver is..

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Even with a descrimination setting, a coil passed over a box of halves would beep. The composition of silver and clad coins are too close for even a high-end detector to tell any difference. It sees a mass of metal.

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for doing the searching for me Loose! I guess I have to be "that guy" this week for this recurring idea post :notworthy:

Last edited:

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like there should be some technology to sniff out Ag from a rolled box. Your question got me thinking about it and so I spent some time searching. The links I found didn't jump right out, I had to weed through a bunch of other search results.

If a metal detector cannot be tuned to do it, I guess we have to wait unit the 25th century for a tricorder? I agree that it would be a worthwhile time saver to prescan the rolls or entire box and only open rolls with keepers.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it would be easier to train a puppy to sniff out silver and when he's old enough he'll work out just fine.:laughing7:

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about just weighing your boxes to see if any are blatantly heavier than the others? May let you know if you have a loaded box to get you all stoked and save it for last of your pile of boxes )

Last edited:

nube250

Aug 5, 2011
IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How about just weighing your boxes to see if any are blatantly heavier than the others? May let you know if you have a loaded box to get you all stoked and save it for last of your pile of boxes )

There is a guy who gets one box a week at the same branch I get 2 a week at. The vault teller always tries to give me the heavier boxes:-)
Not sure how much it helps..This week box 1 - 7-40%ers box 2 - skunk..
I doubt she can feel +/-7 grams diff.. But Its the thought that counts and it goes to show what a good relationship at your pickup bank can do..

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haha yeah that is still nice of her to help you out!!

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Psychic abilities?

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If my detectors get near a box of any coins they just read "OVERLOAD".

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

Weighing doesn't work, you can have boxes that are over, and coins that are under, foreign coins, etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread