Look for Vintage Pens

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
The top pic is a bunch of pens I paid about $135 for at auction, including tax and buyer's fee.
This was mostly in $5 lots with two $35 dollar lots.

Picture 2 is the cream of this crop. The top pen is a Maker:Marlen Model:Buccus from Italy. This model is retired. The fountain pen nib on the right in pic three is from this pen. It's White and Yellow 18K gold. I'm expecting $100+ for this one on ebay. You shouldn't expect to find these too often at yard sales/etc, but the rest of the pens have been around long enough for them to show up anywhere. This was the first $35 lot

Pen 2 is an Eversharp Skyline from the 1940's. It has a 14K nib, it's the one on the left in Pic 3.

Pen 3 is a fairly early Parker model 51 fountain pen, all model 51's are highly collectible. Do an ebay search to see what I mean. The color of the barrel is Cordovan Brown, comparatively rare.

Pen 4 is another Marlen from the same series as the first pen, called Pappus, this one is a ball point. The pocket clips and rings on both pens are marked 925. I do not believe you will find a Marlen on ebay for less than $30. I paid $35 for this one too.

Pen 5 is a 1930's Parker Duofold. This one is in rough shape, no cap, but the orange color is much sought after. I don't think I'll lose my $5 investment.

Pen 6 is a 1940's Parker Vaccumatic in the Debutante size. You can't tell from this picture, but if you hold it up to the light you can see into the barrel to check how much ink is left inside. The model is very collectible, but the debutante size will knock some dollars off it.

The bottom pen is another Parker 51, with a newer style filling system. This one seems to be in useable shape; when you squeeze the bladder you can hear the air whistle a bit at the nib.

I didn't know or care about vintage pens until I bought one for $5 and sold it for $70. At that point I started researching, and there is a strong collector market on ebay. You don't have know all about pens, you just have to be aware of them. Research the ones you run across (hurrah for the smartphone!), and you'll soon know what to look for.

Attachments

• All.jpg
    All.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 780
  • Cream.jpg
    Cream.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 775
  • detail.jpg
    detail.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 781

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Great buys!! I am always on the lookout for pens and will buy and research later if cheap enough. Auction houses around my area, alway point out the gold pens.. so far.

Thanks for the info.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once bought 3 fountain pens thinking I could sell on feebay. I did not inspect them carefully enough. One was bowed, another had brittle parts and it broke while I was checking it out. Can't remember about the 3rd.

One nib was gold, I pulled that a trashed the rest. Probably broke even on that. I was a yard sale newbe back then. :tongue3:

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something else to keep in mind. Never thought about old pens. I look for toys, autographed books, and Art. Since Art has not been very good, I will keep a look out for Pens. Thanks for the post, great find and great information.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've sold a few vintage pens on Ebay. The best was a Montblanc Meisterstuck Rollerball with an empty ink cartridge for $130 something I think.
I've been bidding at online auctions (not ebay) recently myself. I'm finding silver for less than melt, twice now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread