Total tally for 4 weekends

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
Total of 2473.3 grams of 500-925 silver ranging from candy bowls to jewelry. 99.4 grams of 10-14k jewelry. Cleared 60 grams of 14k in rings and bracelets in one day at one location. Cost was $64. This is the total of all of the stuff I posted over the last couple times. I have about $400 into it total. Not counting the pearl necklaces I am trying to get appraised or the stuf listed on ebay. I used the infinetesimal markings or the carat markings where possible, then I tested anything in the unmarked I suspected with a test kit. Found a couple plated, unfortunately one of them had me fooled, darn. The majority came up as the real deal. These came from thrift stores and garage sales or estate sales.

Attachments

• tnet2.jpg
    tnet2.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,147
  • tnet5.jpg
    tnet5.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,158
  • tnet1.jpg
    tnet1.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 1,146
  • tnet2.jpg
    tnet2.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,147
  • tnet3.jpg
    tnet3.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,143
  • tnet4.jpg
    tnet4.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,147
  • tnet5.jpg
    tnet5.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,157

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Please try posting some pics that don't look like you smeared vaseline on the camera lense. :laughing7: :tongue3:

OP
OP
MRBeyer

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
Anyone got a kleenex?

I had to take screen shots from a video to do this. For some reason my wife's phone defaults to video when it is on its still shot setting. Couldn't get it to switch back. Finally got the download cable so at least I can post this much.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
It sounds like you have been hitting the sales with pretty good success. Congratulations. I have a question about the following:

I used the infinetesimal markings or the carat markings where possible, then I tested anything in the unmarked I suspected with a test kit.

I don't quite understand that statement. Does it mean you only tested the unmarked items? There are lots of marked items that are not the real deal. If you send items to a refiner that are untested you have no way of knowing if the refiner is treating you right.

You also said you have silver that ranges from 500-925. Is that a typo? Although I know anything is possible I've never seen silver marked as anything less than 800.

OP
OP
MRBeyer

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
Took anything marked as its value. Tested the unmarked stuff. Color was a brownish green on the two big pieces so it is between 500 (Green) and 800 (Brown) silver. My belief is it is 750 silver. Those were the pieces I tested over and over again.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
MRBeyer said:
Took anything marked as its value. Tested the unmarked stuff. Color was a brownish green on the two big pieces so it is between 500 (Green) and 800 (Brown) silver. My belief is it is 750 silver. Those were the pieces I tested over and over again.

Green usually (almost always) means not silver. 925 is almost universal and should come up milky red every time. I would have strong doubt that something marked or not marked is below 800 which should be a dark red, almost brown.

Also, if it starts out a dim red and then turns green-yellow, it is likely plated.

OP
OP
MRBeyer

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
According to the test kit my findings are valid with bright green=500 and brown=800. Besides, its not plated (Read prior posts on extensive testing) and it tarnishes, looks, and feels like silver. My thought since these items came from a thrift store with high end donations is that it is silver although not sterling/925.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
jerseyben said:
MRBeyer said:

Green usually (almost always) means not silver. 925 is almost universal and should come up milky red every time. I would have strong doubt that something marked or not marked is below 800 which should be a dark red, almost brown.

Also, if it starts out a dim red and then turns green-yellow, it is likely plated.
That is what I thought but some people know it all.... that is wh yI won't post anything for this user no point in helping only going to get shot down....

OP
OP
MRBeyer

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
I don't mind becoming informed. I do mind when it is all or nothing. Last I heard there is more out there than 925 silver. No one has posted a reasonable metal that tarnishes like silver, tests as silver, just tests at a lower concentration than 925. I would recognize if it was aluminum or pewter as I have seen it enough in my life. So, I didn't plan or expect to receive this sudden windfall and anything these pieces bring is a bonus. I see most people feel blessed with what they too receive, often through a moment of grace or luck. Thank you to those who help. Tolerance to those who don't.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Virtually every silver testing kit contains the same acid. Some are fresher or more concentrated than others. They're based on a mixture of Nitric acid and potassium dichromate called Schwerter's solution.

You have to let go of the green. Take a new cent (Zincoln) and test it. The copper will take the red right out of the solution and render it clear to blue-green. Do it again in the same spot 3 or 4 times as necessary. Suddenly the cent will fizz a bright green as the acid hits the zinc. I'm confident the government is not hiding silver in pennies. I fell for the green=50% too. What they should say is "If the acid turns green, half of it is definitely not silver."

Browns are another matter. It could be a dirty red indication. The problem is that the silver refiners are not interested in low percentage weight silver. It may not be worth their effort to extract the silver from a 55% war nickel, and that's a known commodity. If you send them a bunch of trash as I did one time, you'll likely get nothing back. Short of learning how to refine silver ourselves, places like that are our only alternative.

If you try to sell on ebay as silver based on your green test results, you should expect to see your feedback score take a dive. My ebay feedback score is more valuable than any single sale I've made.

So, you did good! Just let the green results count as negative for silver and walk it off. It happens to everybody.

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
batcap said:
Virtually every silver testing kit contains the same acid. Some are fresher or more concentrated than others. They're based on a mixture of Nitric acid and potassium dichromate called Schwerter's solution.

You have to let go of the green. Take a new cent (Zincoln) and test it. The copper will take the red right out of the solution and render it clear to blue-green. Do it again in the same spot 3 or 4 times as necessary. Suddenly the cent will fizz a bright green as the acid hits the zinc. I'm confident the government is not hiding silver in pennies. I fell for the green=50% too. What they should say is "If the acid turns green, half of it is definitely not silver."

Browns are another matter. It could be a dirty red indication. The problem is that the silver refiners are not interested in low percentage weight silver. It may not be worth their effort to extract the silver from a 55% war nickel, and that's a known commodity. If you send them a bunch of trash as I did one time, you'll likely get nothing back. Short of learning how to refine silver ourselves, places like that are our only alternative.

If you try to sell on ebay as silver based on your green test results, you should expect to see your feedback score take a dive. My ebay feedback score is more valuable than any single sale I've made.

So, you did good! Just let the green results count as negative for silver and walk it off. It happens to everybody.

35% war nickel, just to correct

OP
OP
MRBeyer

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
Sent in my collection to ARA. $680 in silver, $1280 in gold, one .72 ct diamond.

I noticed my weights were different than theirs. My weight tally was 50% higher. Looks like my scale needs cal'ed.

The diamond was a nice surprise though.

OP
OP
MRBeyer

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
Before anyone asks, alot of silver went to my wife and daughter as jewelry, some is on Ebay as sets, some is kept for investment/hardship money.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MRBeyer said:
Sent in my collection to ARA. $680 in silver, $1280 in gold, one .72 ct diamond.

I noticed my weights were different than theirs. My weight tally was 50% higher. Looks like my scale needs cal'ed.

50%? I think you need more than a calibration, you need a new scale. just saying...

OP
OP
MRBeyer

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
Actually, I was wondering if they had mixed my batch up with someone else's. The weights were that far off and all the diamonds in my jewelry were tested as CZ. Also, I didn't have anything with sapphires in it that I recall. The funny thing is with the value of the diamond and the sapphires I am only about $100 under the same price I believe I should have received.

Now, my dilemma is do I return everything, then spend time arguing about the actual value. Or ...

I've been running how I would write the note through my mind so as to not come across the wrong way yet still allow for them to determine if a correction needs to be made.

I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MRBeyer said:

ARA will take your silver and melt it before it is sold to an awaiting business. The weight isn't going to mean a thing to them, because it's all about what purity "They" say came out of the final melt... Several things "They" have said never matched up to what silver I've sent in last year, either.

'Best advice I can offer is to take out all your stones and make any jewelry damaged and ugly.... Even though I've printed in bright red letters, "Return all stones", I had some stones come up missing...and one large silver ring with a nice turquoise stone on the last shipment. Wayne or Erin said: "I guess it's on somebody's desk." I was told when I called, but it was never returned. In the beginning of my learning curve, I sent three or four shipments with stones intact, and had to learn the hard way.

Based on my experience with them, I'm Still not sure about this company, either......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread