Look what antibiotics have wrought!

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a infection for many years in my blood. Every time if go to doctors they'd give me penicillin and tell me to get my tooth pulled. It would get so bad I couldn't get a piece of paper between my teeth when my mouth was open. Anyways them giving me the same thing for around 8 years made it immune to that antibiotic and quiet a few others. I was hospitalized for 5 days because they thought my organs were failing from all the pills and toxins. Actually came close to liver shutdown and coma! Put my on a iv newer antibiotic cleared it right up and no infection in a years time.
Anyways my point doctors are to wrapped up in them selfs with giving mess out. They don't take time to figure things out, they just enter something into a medical type search engine and bam, there's the problem they think. Same with mechanics though. I make it a point to not take ANYTHING unless I really need it. My wife eats Advil for everything, it got to the point we stopped buying them because of it, now she's pain free and hasn't eaten any in months! Pills make you sick!

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your better off finding a good Pharmacist they know more about drugs then your average doctor. I'v gone so far as to show them blood tests and they have caught more problems then the Dr. Usually pi$$ them off when you question them.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your better off finding a good Pharmacist they know more about drugs then your average doctor. I'v gone so far as to show them blood tests and they have caught more problems then the Dr. Usually pi$$ them off when you question them.

Yup when I have a small problem ill ask the pharmacist. Doctors are over paid to do nothing. $110 for 5 minutes of test results. I get mine from records for free and google what's on it.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys missed the whole point of the article. It was advocating more appropriate prescribing of antibiotics. Over prescribing of antibiotics leads to resistance. We have had huge advances in medicine over the last 100 years because of antibiotics. Losing the power to use them would be a major blow. Also, don't know why the thread turned into doctor bashing.

Good article Worldtalker! I'll break it down in Layman's terms for everybody.
1. Don't go to the doctor for every little sniffle. Antibiotics do not treat the common cold...aka...rhinovirus or coronavirus.
2. Do go to the doctor for strept throat and get treated with ABX; otherwise, run the risk of rheumatic fever and later vegetation on mitral valve that can lead to stroke or cardiac arrest.
3. Refuse ABX when you are septic and you will not get another chance to refuse.

Everybody needs to learn the difference between a bacteria and a virus. ABX DO NOT treat VIRUS! Only then can you prevent forest fires.

Crispin,
PS. Doctors are like guns. If you really need one...and don't have one...you will not get a chance to need one again.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine didnt really miss the point. By them filling me full of anti biotics and other pills it made me more sick, not making me better. Just like my wife eating the Advil for everything they stopped helping because of it, and was actually making her think every little pain needed a pill. The reason i said doctors don't know much is they should have known to stop giving me all them pills by looking at my chart and seeing that obviously the same thing wasn't helping due to a resistance. And its because they are lazy anymore, Rely on computers to tell them everything. Want proof the new pop in doctors that see you over a computer now. How can they diagnose something if not even there?

The part about pharmacist is the point of they know more then a doctor alot of times on cures , since they are the ones that have to know everything about the medicines. Everybody was agreeing that doctors prescribe to many pills and we as a society has built up a immunity to them. We just used our own individual stories to do that

Last edited:

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Next time you go see your pharmacist ask him/her who her doctor is...then you will have found a good doctor. I'm sorry you think doctors are lazy and don't care. A lot of doctors get burned out. They go through a ridiculous amount of school and training. During residency they can work over 80 hours a week for less then minimum wage. Once they are out in the real world they get hammered by insurance companies, lawyers, and stupid government regulating forms that drain even more energy. One of the things that can really burn a doctor out is when they try really hard to help a patient and they end up getting blamed for bad outcome or unjust displacement. Then they get on line and read how lazy they are, how much they don't care, and how stupid they are (aka...pharmacists know more) and they start to lose faith in humanity. They wonder why they dedicated their lives to healing only to be spit on by the ones they sacrifice for.

Now that I think about...don't go to the doctor. Seems like both you and the doctor will be better off.

Crispin

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crispin could be explain this in more detail please......

"2. Do go to the doctor for strept throat and get treated with ABX; otherwise, run the risk of rheumatic fever and later vegetation on mitral valve that can lead to stroke or cardiac arrest.
3. Refuse ABX when you are septic and you will not get another chance to refuse."

The reason I ask is because of the one experience I had with strept throat. I'll explain as briefly as I can.
10+ years ago, I felt like I was swallowing razor blades and went to the emergency.
Waited 6 hours to finally see a red-eyed, tired doctor and he diagnosed me with strept throat. Never had this before.
He wrote out a prescription for anti-biotics and I immediately told him that I do not take anti-biotics.... never have, never will.
He gave me that "Great, here's one of those hippie types" look and shoved the prescription in my hand and said "Gargle with salt" and then walked away.
When I got home I looked through my medicinal plant books and came up with this treatment......
First, I took clove essential oil and rubbed it on the outside of my throat, gargled with salt water and then made a pot of fennel tea.
I did this several times throughout the day and after two and a half days, my symptoms were completely gone.
When I told my dad on the phone, he yelled at me "There's no way you had strept throat!"
He and my sister have had it several times and he says that with anti-biotics, it took a couple of weeks to clear up and still to this day does not believe that I had strept throat.
Are you saying that I have endangered myself by not treating my strept throat with ABX?
What do you think of my story and self treatment?
I would appreciate your input.
Thanks,
Dave.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Crispin could be explain this in more detail please......

"2. Do go to the doctor for strept throat and get treated with ABX; otherwise, run the risk of rheumatic fever and later vegetation on mitral valve that can lead to stroke or cardiac arrest.
3. Refuse ABX when you are septic and you will not get another chance to refuse."

The reason I ask is because of the one experience I had with strept throat. I'll explain as briefly as I can.
10+ years ago, I felt like I was swallowing razor blades and went to the emergency.
Waited 6 hours to finally see a red-eyed, tired doctor and he diagnosed me with strept throat. Never had this before.
He wrote out a prescription for anti-biotics and I immediately told him that I do not take anti-biotics.... never have, never will.
He gave me that "Great, here's one of those hippie types" look and shoved the prescription in my hand and said "Gargle with salt" and then walked away.
When I got home I looked through my medicinal plant books and came up with this treatment......
First, I took clove essential oil and rubbed it on the outside of my throat, gargled with salt water and then made a pot of fennel tea.
I did this several times throughout the day and after two and a half days, my symptoms were completely gone.
When I told my dad on the phone, he yelled at me "There's no way you had strept throat!"
He and my sister have had it several times and he says that with anti-biotics, it took a couple of weeks to clear up and still to this day does not believe that I had strept throat.
Are you saying that I have endangered myself by not treating my strept throat with ABX?
What do you think of my story and self treatment?
I would appreciate your input.
Thanks,
Dave.

Hey Dave,
There should be no question of whether you had strept or not. Did they do a rapid strept test? As to what your dad said...that is just flat out wrong. People start to feel better within a day or two of starting antibiotics for a bacterial infection. HOWEVER, you cannot stop treatment once you feel better. When people terminate antibiotic tx early two things MAY happen: 1. The infection comes back. 2. Your body fights off the remainder of the infection while the trace amounts of bacteria mutate to develop resistance to antibiotics. This is part of the reason resistance is occurring...people don't take the antibiotics to completion and the infection is never wiped out.

Look at the second possibility like this. Say you are in a gun fight (in a war) with another man who wants to kill you more then he wants to live. You shoot him in the chest and he drops his gun. You walk over to where he is at and he is still alive but clearly of no threat to you. Do you finish him off or you let him live and turn and go? (take morals and ethics out of this example) If you finish him off then you know it is impossible that he will come back and kill you. If you let him live there is a small chance that he survives, learns new tactics, and then comes back to get you.

As for your treatment: If you did not have strept then you did a good job of treating the VIRUS symptomatically and your body fought off the infection. If you did have strept then you did a good job of treating the symptoms and your body fought off the BACTERIA. Treating symptoms is not the same as treating the cause. Example, if you have pneumonia and you come in coughing and hacking and I give you cough syrup and send you out the door...what will happen? Well, the symptom of coughing will get better but I will not treat the pneumonia. If I give you an ABX then after a day or two the coughing will get better as the pneumonia is treated. If you give you ABX and cough syrup then the pneumonia gets treated and the cough improves when you take the syrup.

As for the rheumatic fever comment. Prior to ABX treatment young children could die easily for strept infection. Not from the initial infection itself but from a reaction that occurs to the antibodies that develop to the strept 2-3 weeks later. (look it up on wikipedia...they have a good explanation) We hardly see it any more because most people get treated for strept and don't run that risk.

Hope that clears things up. Remember that correlation does not equal causality. Your infection got better because of your immune response...the treatment you used was a correlation and not a cause.

Crispin

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot Crispin for your time and energy. :icon_thumright:
Yes, the doctor did a rapid strept throat test and there was no doubt that I had the virus.
I do have a good immune system as I rarely ever get sick and if I do, I usually fight it off in day.
I feel this is because I've never taken antibiotics as my dad and sister have taken quite a bit over the years and they get sick often.
Could also be from genetics as my mom rarely gets sick.
Finally, I always say to people that I never get sick and I believe there's power in "Positive thinking" as well.
Sorry, I did take antibiotics once in my life but that was because I had been bit by a human! Long story on that one. Lol.
I understand what you are explaining and I may be a little more cautious in the future as I get older.
I certainly wouldn't take cough syrup if I had pneumonia!
Some things are not worth messing around with.
Thanks again.
Cheers,
Dave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions