Look what is happening here in Texas....

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No this isn't just an isolated story... this is happening all over Texas and other states... The lakes are drying up and OLD towns are being exposed... check this one out!

Texas finished its driest 12 months ever with an average of 8.5 inches of rain through September, nearly 13 inches below normal. Water levels in the region's lakes, most of which were man made, have dropped by more than a dozen feet in many cases. In an odd way, this drought has provided an opportunity to view and document, where appropriate, some of these finds and understand what they consist of," Most people probably didn't realize what was under these lakes

89 graves were moved starting in 1931 when dam construction began. That's the same year the town's 40 or 50 residents started moving several miles west to the current town, which today amounts to a convenience store and post office at a lonely highway intersection serving 200 residents.

A tour guide stands on the concrete foundation of an old cotton gin in the old Texas town. The gin resurfaced on the now dry lake bed
Old Town 1.jpg
a rusting tank and concrete slabs from a Texaco service station, at least 20-30 feet underwater, have joined other remnants of this old Texas town.
old town 2.jpg
Rusty nails and other artifacts
old town 3.jpg
Johnny C. Parks died two days before his first birthday more than a century ago. His grave slipped from sight along with the rest of the tiny Texas town when this lake was filled 55 years later.Now, the cracked marble tombstone ... Now, the cracked marble tombstone engraved with the date Oct. 15, 1882, which is normally covered by 20 to 30 feet of water, has been eerily exposed as a yearlong drought shrinks one of Texas' largest lakes.
Old Town 4.jpg
a mold for wagon wheels has joined other remnants, resurfacing on the now dry, sandy lake bed
old town 5.jpg

Other depleted lakes across Texas are revealing much older artifacts. More than two dozen looters have been arrested at Lake Whitney, about 50 miles south of Fort Worth, for removing Native American tools and fossils that experts believe could be thousands of years old

At Lake Georgetown near Austin, fishermen discovered what experts determined was the skull of an American Indian buried for hundreds or thousands of years. It's not clear what will become of the skull, said Kate Spradley, a Texas State University assistant anthropology professor who is keeping it temporarily in a lab. Strict federal laws governing American Indian burial sites bar excavations to search for other remain

No such restrictions exist for the nearly two dozen unmarked graves discovered this summer in a dried-up section of a Navarro County reservoir. Some coffin lids are visible just under the dirt. Crews plan to excavate the site about 50 miles south of Dallas and move the remains to a cemetery, said Bruce McManus, chairman of the county's historical commission. He said the area of Richland-Chambers Lake is on property formerly owned by a slave owner This is a once-in-a-lifetime find ... and maybe the only silver lining in the ongoing drought," McManus said

Very interesting... always remember to get permission and FILL YOUR HOLES!

Chukers

Upvote 0

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Omg.....so creepy Chuck....now where is Eastland...what part of Texas?

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now now iCandy lets now get to excited. Are you thinking about a road trip. If so you ust take me with you. :icon_sunny: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:......Matt

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iCandy said:
Omg.....so creepy Chuck....now where is Eastland...what part of Texas?

Eastland is in Central Texas... but this news isn't where I am at its 3 hours south of me... however I do have a lake here that is slowly getting lower and lower... there is a town under it but I really doubt it will ever get that low.

Chukers

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its a bad thing really...we need the moisture.

The upswing is that there is plenty of areas opened up to hunt now. I've made some neat finds hitting the lake around swimming holes and boat houses.

I plan on hitting a site that was used by the Confederacy.... hopefully this area will be exposed. I have always wanted to score a CSA relic in Texas. This might be my chance.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That tombstone looks like it could of been placed last week. Hopefully he's reburied where his grave won't be flooded again.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter and her brood live in Round Rock and the lakes around there are way down. It seems that the drought is right in the middle and southern part of the state. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread