Looking at buying a Garrett AT pro. Any advice?

want2skydive

Jan 12, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This will be my first detector. Now I know some might tell me to step down a level and buy something a little cheaper, but I have been interested for a long time and I'm a firm believer in buying things a level up so that I won't be looking to buy again in 6 months to a year. My hope is to use this detector on dry land and in shallow water. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jason

OP
OP
want2skydive

want2skydive

Jan 12, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little worried....

Should it bother me that the only reply to my post was an ad for the AARP? I know I'm losing my hair guys but its still a little early for the AARP.

This will be my first detector. Now I know some might tell me to step down a level and buy something a little cheaper, but I have been interested for a long time and I'm a firm believer in buying things a level up so that I won't be looking to buy again in 6 months to a year. My hope is to use this detector on dry land and in shallow water. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jason

SilverSearcher103

Nov 4, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm having the same problem deciding what to buy for my first detector. I was thinking about a fisher f2/f4 but I also would like to hunt shallow freshwater beaches, so it would be good to have a waterproof detector. I've never used an at pro, but many people have them and like them a lot so Im pretty well convinced that it's worth the extra money so I will not want to upgrade detectors in two months.

Dimendave

Nov 27, 2012
Central Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garret ATP Whites TDI SL.
Fisher CZ-21. Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my first one this past year and it was a Pro. Still learning all the lil secrets to it but at least I haven't felt like I out grew it like I would have with something less challenging.

OP
OP
want2skydive

want2skydive

Jan 12, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a guy selling one "slightly" used for $550. It has a collection pouch and big carrying bag. I'm not sure I want to pay close to full price for something on off of craigslist. I may just be naïve but do the machines hold their value that well?

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would buy a new AT Pro instead of paying almost what a new one would cost on a used one. That way if something is wrong with it Garrett will fix it for free.

SilverSearcher103

Nov 4, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a guy selling one "slightly" used for $550. It has a collection pouch and big carrying bag. I'm not sure I want to pay close to full price for something on off of craigslist. I may just be naïve but do the machines hold their value that well?
Right now on kellyco a new at pro with a digger, headphones,and a pouch is only 594$ plus it comes with a warranty. I defiantly would rather have a new one than a used one so I would stay away from that.

OP
OP
want2skydive

want2skydive

Jan 12, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I believe Kellyco is a sponsor on this site. It's about time I gave back around this joint.

Cactusrat: Where about are you in South Texas? I work outside of Dilley. My company has a bunch of land outside of Cotulla. I'll just tell them I'm trying to locate the pipeline, you know for safety reasons of course.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own and use the AT pro along with others. I would take a very close look at Fisher and Whites in the same price range. The two main things about the Garrett is that there is no volume control and the position of the screen when it is on your arm is at an angle that makes reading the screen very difficult without cocking your head down to see. The Whites MXT seems to have all the same features as the Garrett plus more and is cheaper. The volume is important on windy days and when you are in areas where traffic noise is loud. I definitely do not like head phones. Good luck on your choice

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Pro is a very versatile detector. Easy to use, but deep enough to find relics coins and jewelry. They work well in our Texas soil. Dilley is close to the Battle Of Medina, if you could locate that site, you would find some great relics. Give me a call if you have questions about detectors. Mention Tnet for some great deals.

Wayne

(832) 928-9135

Metal Detector Sales and Rentals | Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, Lesche and DetectorPro

SilverSearcher103

Nov 4, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own and use the AT pro along with others. I would take a very close look at Fisher and Whites in the same price range. The two main things about the Garrett is that there is no volume control and the position of the screen when it is on your arm is at an angle that makes reading the screen very difficult without cocking your head down to see. The Whites MXT seems to have all the same features as the Garrett plus more and is cheaper. The volume is important on windy days and when you are in areas where traffic noise is loud. I definitely do not like head phones. Good luck on your choice
Is the mxts control box waterproof?

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. The AT-Pro is a good all-around machine and quite easy to master. If you desire different headphones, and I strongly recommend this, you must buy an adapter. Folks have had problems w these adapters. The screen is difficult to view when wet. It also weighs in heavier than others in its class. If you have the luxury of testing before buying, do so. Most importantly, only buy from a reputable dealer. Kellyco is fine and I've found Bart at BigBoys Hobbies to be helpful. He will also customize any package you want/need. All said, the AT-Pro will suit your needs and some. Peace

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And I believe Kellyco is a sponsor on this site. It's about time I gave back around this joint.

Cactusrat: Where about are you in South Texas? I work outside of Dilley. My company has a bunch of land outside of Cotulla. I'll just tell them I'm trying to locate the pipeline, you know for safety reasons of course.

I live on the west side of Lake Corpus Christi.

Sounds like you got some good hunting grounds. Got to keep track of them moving pipelines. LOL!

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The data on the MX5 which is in the price range I was talking about, says weather proof control box and water proof coil.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I"d go with an Ace 250 with a DD coil and their pro-pointer and a good shovel ( for those Texas's soils).If you really find out you don't like this sport/hobby,you can always sell it and get back at least $200.I'd personally wouldn't buy from a company out of state,check this web sight,there are at least 3 dealers right here in Texas.

David in Germany

Apr 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I"d go with an Ace 250 with a DD coil and their pro-pointer and a good shovel ( for those Texas's soils).If you really find out you don't like this sport/hobby,you can always sell it and get back at least $200.I'd personally wouldn't buy from a company out of state,check this web sight,there are at least 3 dealers right here in Texas.
I made the mistake of buying a cheaper detector first. I wish I went with the ATP first.. On a side note, also pick up a pro pointer, it will make life much easier.

DCRJerry

Greenie
Nov 30, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ProPointer
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received my first detector last Christmas, a Bounty Hunter Quick Silver. When I first went out I would be lucky to find a nickel. After a while I learned to use the machine I had, which meant discriminating against everything but coins and was able to find a bunch of clad. I just ordered an AT Pro yesterday from Big Boys and can't wait to try it out. It seems to be a very well rounded machine. I wouldn't normally recommend such an expensive machine for someone just starting out, but as it has been mentioned, used devices are going for close to new prices so you could recover a large amount of your purchase price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread