Looking at detectors. Help!

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Reading these posts has more than engaged my interest in starting to hunt myself. However, I think getting a detector first would be helpful. I have searched many of the manufacterers such as Garrett, Minelab, etc, but being new to the activity, I don't know all of the jargon that comes with detecting such as pinpointing, discriminating, null, etc.

My interest lays primarliy in finding coins or jewelry. I probably wouldn't be doing any underwater hunting so I guess my question is, what's good? Can I get a decent piece of equipment for say $200? Or to really find the good stuff do I need to look at more of a five to eight hundred dollar range?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Hunter

Coin_Saver

Nov 10, 2004
Ohio
I guess if you are looking for a $200 machine I'd get an Ace 250, I've seen alot of beginners useing them and they find good stuff, I am sure that someone can vouch for that, but if u are gong to get a little more exspensive machine I would get an Whites XLT or a Whites MXT, My first md was the XLT and it was awesome! go for the XLT if u got the right budget but if u can't go for the Ace 250 or some other Garret md, HH CS!

OP
OP
hbeaton

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Indeed the ACE 250 looks very appealing and as indicated if I want to go with a higher budget, the Whites models look great. Question though, I notice some md's have "coin belltones" to indiciate, i guess with a ping or noise, that you have found a coin. Does the ACE series have this? or is it a necessary feature?

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
yes the ace 250 has the belltone feature....... and then some! it has exellent pinpointing,depth indicator,target id (in other words, it tells you what the target probably is while it is still in the ground),it is light weight and it has pretty good depth.for the money (around $200) it simply cant be beat.

Diggingmailman

Feb 25, 2005
Portland, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go with the Garrett Ace 250. Kelly Co. has it for 199.99 and it's one heck of a machine. I love mine!! ;D

A

ARCOMANDPURPLE

I agree with all the above....Have one and love it......The only minor problem I found with it was the way the Headphones hook up to it...... cord kind of gets in the way......but who cares when you find an outstanding machine at that price.. 8) 8) 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread