Looking for Atoka County info-any experts out there?

OP
OP
pyledriver

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Wow-that is cool! I'll check out the link and also see if I can enlarge that map you posted. Now on the military road thing, I have one site that I've searched that is near an old military road. I've often wondered if there might be anything to find along those routes.. So much to do and so little time!

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pyledriver said:
I'm looking for info related to stage stops in Atoka county. I have a listing that shows several, but isn't very precise as to location. I'm wondering if anybody knows of these places and has any info on them or might be able to help me access them?

CK out Chronicles of Oklahoma.....should find some info there...

JoeMoto

Jan 3, 2006
Oklahoma
If I'm not mistaken, after Boggy Depot southbound the stations were Fort Wash ita, Fisher's Station (aka Carriage Point) and then Colbert's Ferry over the Red River. Wash ita is protected, Fisher's Station and Colbert's Ferry are on private land.

Have you done any research on Coffee's Trading Post? It may be underwater now. I believe it was on the south shore of current Lake Texoma, on the Texas side.

Freak on a Lesche

Oct 17, 2010
Southeastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Garrett AT-Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After Boggy was also nail's crossing (blue river crossing) it is located on private land close to caddo ok. There is a road named nail's crossing. I drove down there but was unable to obtain permission.

The following sites in Atoka County are listed on the National Register of Historic Places:

Atoka Armory, Atoka
Atoka Community Building, Atoka
Isaac Billy Homestead and Family Cemetery, Daisy
Boggy Depot Site, Atoka
First Methodist Church Building, Atoka
First Oil Well in Oklahoma, Wapanucka
Indian Citizen Building, Atoka
Captain Charles LeFlore House, Limestone Gap
Masonic Temple, Atoka
Bo McAlister Site, Wapanucka
Middle Boggy Battlefield Site and Confederate Cemetery, Atoka
Old Atoka County Courthouse, Atoka
Old Atoka State Bank, Atoka
Pioneer Club, Atoka
Joe Ralls House, Atoka
Captain James S. Standley House, Atoka
Waddell's Station Site, Wesley
Zweigel Hardware Store Building, Atoka

BoggyBottomJay

Jun 29, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
RGINN said:
'Atoka', derived from a Choctaw word meaning 'Ball Ground' Used to live in SE Oklahoma and we found lots of arrowheads there. I camped at Boggy Depot State Park before. It's kinda outa the way, but a nice place with a very interesting cemetary for history buffs. Park Managers in Oklahoma have the leeway to grant dectecting in state parks. I knew the park manager some years ago and was able to detect, but ONLY in the area of the State Park campsites, since they do have some important historic sites around there. If he didn't know me, I probably wouldn't have been allowed to do even that. Call the park office there and see what the current situation is. Anywhere you go in SE Oklahoma make sure you have permission beforehand. It helps if you know someone or have family down there too, I've noticed. The lumber companies own a lot of land down there, so you might check with them, too.
Actually RGINN Atoka gets its name from a confederate Choctaw named Captain Atoka. I grew up in this county and know most of its history. I have known all the park managers that have worked the park over the years. The park managers there WILL NOT let anyone detect there. I doubt you ever got to detect the park do to the fact that it wouldn't be worth their job to let some "friend" MD.

California Kidd

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very interested in the Pine Knot treasure. Very little info out on it, would love to visit an old library to look up newspaper clippings of that time. Really crazy story, cant believe the man who found it couldnt find his way back after looking for it his whole life. I wouldnt mind traveling to the site to search, i have some family in OK but I wouldnt go alone. I do carry protection but still this is one of the stories that just fascinates me.

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pine Knot

I am very interested in the Pine Knot treasure. Very little info out on it, would love to visit an old library to look up newspaper clippings of that time. Really crazy story, cant believe the man who found it couldnt find his way back after looking for it his whole life. I wouldnt mind traveling to the site to search, i have some family in OK but I wouldnt go alone. I do carry protection but still this is one of the stories that just fascinates me.

I've been very interested in this since I first heard about it, I'm planning on going to take a look around that area sometime soon!

OP
OP
pyledriver

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Wooly and remote...yet more people to bump into than you might think. Ears and eyes! Some up there are unfriendly.

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll definitely keep on my toes, taking a couple of people with me. Going to try and stay on the down low

OP
OP
pyledriver

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Well you'll probably be questioned by locals and maybe even followed on the teeny little roads. I think there have been enough people up there that folks kinda know what's going on.

Oh and watch out for meth labs..

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely be watching for meth labs, did you park on the side of the road and just walk into the woods?

OP
OP
pyledriver

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Well funny thing that.. There are a spiderweb if forestry roads in the area. You can get in the vicinity and basically stop, get out and walk if you're on a small road. Hunting leases are marked, although not well. If you go during hunting season you could be in for trouble! Poaching season is probably better, lol!

That's about the best I can do. Otherwise keep in mind the area is timber land so everything can start looking the same pretty fast!

Last edited:

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A person could get bad lost in there and that may not be the worst thing that could happen.

OP
OP
pyledriver

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very true. For that reason I always carry survival gear and basic shelter. The weather comes up fast in those parts and I've been caught in some WICKED lightning and rain storms. No joke kinda stuff that my buddies and I don't talk about around the womenfolk!

Be prepared for anything/everything.

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info, I'll be sure and bring my basic gear, I've got a pretty good idea of where I want to be so hopefully I won't get too lost.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If by basic gear you mean personal protection in the form of firearms then yes I agree.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go down around Antlers and Broken bow every year and the locals can get spooky towards outsiders.

Last edited:

gilariversun

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I live in LeFlore county - which is very close to the Pine Knot Crossing area. I am closer to the cities of Poteau, OK or Fort Smith, AR, so maybe 20 miles away. Speaking as one of the "hillbillies" (lol) it is very good advice to know your way around and what to look out for before just wandering around someones land. Don't just park your car out there - you might as well light up a signal fire. Anyway if someone wants to come to the area and look around, I would be interested in working with you. I can't really do a lot of hiking anymore as I have a stage 4 illness, but can help in many other ways. Just let me know what you have in mind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread