Looking for deep no-motion all-metal detector - suggestions?

pitdigger

Jul 5, 2009
I'm looking for a detector to fit a specific application involving detecting fairly large iron targets down at the 2 to 4 foot depth level. Would best fall in the category of cache/relic detecting I suppose.

It must have a full-time no-motion all-metal mode. (not just pinpoint) The varying pitch VCO style of operation works great. And it must go deep. (But not looking for a 2-box)

The detector that I and most of my peers use is the Fisher Gold Bug 1 (not 2). Even though it was designed as a gold detector, it is a very effective detector for deep iron targets in no-motion mode, with great depth, especially with the bigger coil. The original Bugs have been out of production quite a while and are becoming more difficult to obtain/maintain, etc. There aren't many detectors made these days with a full-time no-motion mode, but here are a few candidates I came up with.

Garrett Master Hunter CX plus.
Garrett Scorpion (gold detector, but looks similar to original Gold Bug, has no-motion all-metal).
Tesoro Tejon
Tesoro Taquero
Whites Sierra Madre (looks interesting, but doesn't really have true no-motion mode I don't think)

Any suggestions on which of the above detectors would be a good choice? Any other suggestions? Of the two Tesoro offerings, which would be better and have the best depth capability?

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
What you're saying sounds good in theory/print, but will have practical problems, in the field. For starters, you say you're looking for "fairly large" iron targets, at "2 to 4 ft." down. But you say you don't want a 2-box unit ??? Sounds like the perfect job for a 2-box unit (depending on what you mean by "fairly large"). Yes there are standard coil units that, when operated in all-metal mode (like some nugget machines, and even some coin machines when switched to all-metal), that can go up to 4 ft. deep on a large enough iron target. But the problem is, you will go crazy also hearing every paper clip, nail, etc.... Why wouldn't you use a 2-box unit, and go strictly for only the larger targets (if that is your goal, and depending on what you meant by "fairly large" targets).

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would agree that a two box unit is the way to go but if a machine is required that could be used for general coinshooting as well then why not a Nautilus DMC ?

It has a really deep all metal mode that is non motion or can be used in Auto to provide a motion type "all metal" if required.

The seperate discrimination mode could either be effectively switched off or set at a level to suit what you want to find ie you could set it to discriminate out small iron through foil right up to ring pulls all without any effect on the primary search mode that will be feeding its information to the other ear from the one thats receiving the discrimination information.

Depending on the size of iron you might get away with the stock coil, if not, go for the 15" Triaxial Concentric.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread