Looking for help identifying this point.

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Sharp Shooter

Attachments

• arrowheads 004.jpg
    arrowheads 004.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 419
Upvote 0

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking the same thing Eared Eden. Made out of Hixton. Sure looks like one but not sure. How is the flaking??................................GTP

OP
OP
Sidevalve45

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Get-the-point said:
I was thinking the same thing Eared Eden. Made out of Hixton. Sure looks like one but not sure. How is the flaking??................................GTP
It's Hixton material. I'm not sure asking for on the flaking? I can post some pictures of different angles tomorrow.

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
yes, that would be nice,
play with diff lighting at diff angles , and try to catch the ridge too. im excited! awesome find!!!!! :hello2:

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
the base does look thinned from the shadow, but i cant see a ridge.

OP
OP
Sidevalve45

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
chong2 said:
yes, that would be nice,
play with diff lighting at diff angles , and try to catch the ridge too. im excited! awesome find!!!!! :hello2:
Here's a few more pictures. I had trouble getting them in focus. Sometimes I have better luck than other times and I'm unsure why. Let me know what you think.

SV

Attachments

• arrowheads 021.jpg
    arrowheads 021.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 296
  • arrowheads 023.jpg
    arrowheads 023.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 287
  • arrowheads 024.jpg
    arrowheads 024.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 290
  • arrowheads 025.jpg
    arrowheads 025.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 294
  • arrowheads 026.jpg
    arrowheads 026.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 292

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Still really hard to tell with the material and the pics, it still looks thinned at the base and possibly a ridge " diamond cross section. I guess you going to be the one to judge as only you can see the true flaking...... normally it should be collateral flaking with a median ridge on both sides, and look down the center from the tip it will look like a diamond

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Sidevalve - the books are guides and obviously don't account for every point. It's very common for longer points to get resharpened out of their normal length range. The base and flaking (and material and area found) will be much more diagnostic than the length. It looks to me to be a resharpened eared Eden. The only two issues, as already noted, and the length, which I don't personally see any problem with and the rarity. By rarity I mean all things being equal it's more likely to be a generic-ish woodland stemmed point. But only flaking, basal grinding, and location found would assume a Cody Complex origin. I've never found a Hixton point and only have 1 quartzite point so I have no idea how difficult it is to discern flaking patterns in that material. Either way it's a very nice point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread