Looking for help with the Whites DFX

Robotics

Feb 20, 2016
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was given a Whites DFX with stock coil from my father who used it maybe 4 times. He purchased it in 8-2001. He also kept very good care of it and only used it in his yard. No banging into tree stumps, etc.

I have been using it since the first of this year, and it seems to be a good detector, but I'm not to sure of how good it is at signals further than say 4 to 5 inches.
Everything I find is roughly at the same level...usually no more than 5 inches down (never deeper).

I have done some air test with it using the coin only and then coin and jewelry settings and never get over roughly 6 inches using just the stock setting with both modes, with pennies, nickles, dime, and quarters.

So my question is, whats up with this? I can only imagine what I have missed in all these months detecting at many different locations.
The batteries are good (I hear that can effect the range when weak), it has been well taken care of and not banged up. I'm not sure what to think.

Curious if anyone who has this model can tell me what they experience with the machine with an air test, and in the field.

I would hate to send it off. I find it hard to think something could be wrong with it unless it has been bad since it left the assembly line. It has been taken care of and is pretty much brand new and in mint condition.

Any suggestions?
Iif you have one and know how it should be reacting, please chime in. It has gotten to the point to where I am starting to loose my interest in this hobby sort of. And not interested in buying a detector, when this one (from all the reading I have done on it) is one of the best out there even to this day. (so I read)

So what should I be expecting in an air test and in the field. And what could be wrong with something that has rarely been used and is in mint condition?

Thanks

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not familiar with your machine, however, a general rule is to know your machine well and when you start out the first few times don't expect miracles. Use a basic ALL METALS setup at first and dig a few targets----------You may get nails and pull tabs but listen to the tone if your machine is multi tone. Re-read the instruction book several times and then progress to a better setting, such as coins if you go to a park or school. It will take a while before you master it probably but don't give up. You can't imagine the thrill of accomplishment once you learn.
Good Luck, Marvin
PS, Please treat the grounds you detect with pride------------cover holes and be courteous to onlookers.:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

scotter1

Mar 16, 2014
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,xlt,idx,prism,tm 808,fisher gold bug,1280x,xp deuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get the book on it.read it and practice with the settings.this is a top line machine and i regularly find stuff 10-11 in deep.sometimes more depending on the soil ,settings,area etc.learn the machine as best you can.keep practicing.it will amaze you.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For one thing, there are lots of good old coins at 4-5 inches. You will have to use the detector for many hours to get to know it. This one can be a turn on and go machine, or a more complex one when you use custom programs. For starters, make sure you ground balance it before you go swinging. Try turning the preamp gain up as well as the ac sensitivity. While this may give more depth it does not take away from the importance of time. I would not place much emphasis on air tests, and remember that the target depth readout is for coin size objects and is usually pretty accurate on the DFX. I recommend getting the user booklet and watch the tutorial videos on YouTube. It is not the detectors issues but rather a familiarity issue, so please don't give up. Sometimes there just ain't nothin there to find.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The DFX comes from the factory with very mild factory programs. White's did this to insure smooth operation in different soils across the country. To get the best performance from your DFX, you should get the book "Digging Deeper with the DFX" by Jeff Foster. Jeff's book goes through great detail on every feature and adjustment of the DFX and explains how to get the best depth out of your detector.

OP
OP
Robotics

Robotics

Feb 20, 2016
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the suggestions. Looking forward to learning this machine better. Been using it for 6 months now, just seems I should be seeing things a little deeper than what I have been finding so far.

OP
OP
Robotics

Robotics

Feb 20, 2016
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get the book on it.read it and practice with the settings.this is a top line machine and i regularly find stuff 10-11 in deep.sometimes more depending on the soil ,settings,area etc.learn the machine as best you can.keep practicing.it will amaze you.

I have ordered the book, still waiting for it. Guess there is a chance everywhere I have been just doesn't have anything deeper than 5-6 inches, although I find that a little hard to grasp.
I do like the DFX a lot, and have done a lot of reading up and watching videos on it, and its settings. I would like to think I have done most my homework on this machine, but still not seeing things deeper than 6 inches. Like I said...guess it could be there is just nothing there.
Thanks for the response :)

OP
OP
Robotics

Robotics

Feb 20, 2016
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes there just ain't nothin there to find.

This very well may be the case.

I don't really care for the air test, but out of desperation, and seeing what others get with their air test on You Tube videos...mine is failing (it seems).

Thanks for your input and suggestions. I'm sure I wont be giving up on this hobby and machine...supposed I just have to get to know the DFX better, even though I been using it for 6 months now at several times a week, and have tried numerous tweaks in the settings.

I have ordered the book by Jeff Foster just recently. Waiting for its arrival.

Thanks again :)

OP
OP
Robotics

Robotics

Feb 20, 2016
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The DFX comes from the factory with very mild factory programs. White's did this to insure smooth operation in different soils across the country. To get the best performance from your DFX, you should get the book "Digging Deeper with the DFX" by Jeff Foster. Jeff's book goes through great detail on every feature and adjustment of the DFX and explains how to get the best depth out of your detector.

Thanks Tom.
I have ordered the book. Waiting for its arrival.

I am guessing from all the responses I am getting on this subject, no one has suggested something could be wrong with the machine(?)

I have read somewhere (in all my research), that if not used regularly there is a chance components could go out of wack/ Don't know how true this is. And there was at least 12 years of it just sitting on the box not being used, so this makes me wonder.

Thank you for you response and suggestions :)

OP
OP
Robotics

Robotics

Feb 20, 2016
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure of the size :( and I'm not near it at the moment, I'm at work. But it is the stock coil that comes with the DFX I am thinking its about 9 to 9 1/2 inches in diameter.

kan.hntr

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2014
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was right where you were shortly after i got a Dfx thought it wasn't very deep wondered if there was something wrong. Like Tom said the factory settings are fairly mild. I think the book will help you alot, It did me I seen a big difference in just upping the preamp gain in the factory programs.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Air test properly set up with a 950 in an no emi zone will yield 9-12" with the 950 maybe more. If all the coins you find are at 5" that is probably as deep as they sink at that site.
Digging Deeper with the DFX is the machines bible if you can find a copy and can read technical info and absorb it. I think I read that cover to cover 3 times and I am a computer admin.
Once you understand what to tinker with you will not be worried about depth.. we all get sucked into depth, but most places I have hunted, less is more as there are no targets real deep and you just pick up iron which can mask the shallower targets near by.

I start with C/J then make the following changes. Tone ID on, AC 65 to start depends on EMI, DC 30 to start, Ratchet off, SAT 0, Modulation off, Auto Track on, Trac view on, Trac speed 8 site dependent, trac inhibitor on, Disc accpet -88 > +95, Sweep speed 0, Ground filter 3 for clean 2 for trash as site specific, VID sensitivity 80, DC phase on, PAG 3 or 2 for high trash & emi, single frequency 15kHz on, Normalization off then save it with you own custom name.. I call it 15kHz wide open.

Most of the above is personal preference
Then at the site you will need to tweak AC, DC, PAG, Ground filters, maybe track speed, best data for beach, or correlated for iron infestation, mixed mode for clean area with potential deep targets and this will require ramping up DC as you will be hunting in both motion and non motion modes at the same time.
Good luck, it is a great machine

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robotics

Robotics

Feb 20, 2016
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was right where you were shortly after i got a Dfx thought it wasn't very deep wondered if there was something wrong. Like Tom said the factory settings are fairly mild. I think the book will help you alot, It did me I seen a big difference in just upping the preamp gain in the factory programs.

I am looking forward to getting the book even though I have read the manual and watched Whites 10 part YouTube videos on the DFX over and over. I understand all the settings and have tweaked them many times, only to continue to find stuff no deeper than around 6 inches. Maybe its just this area and nothing is over 6 some inches in the ground out here :dontknow:

OP
OP
Robotics

Robotics

Feb 20, 2016
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Air test properly set up with a 950 in an no emi zone will yield 9-12" with the 950 maybe more. If all the coins you find are at 5" that is probably as deep as they sink at that site.
Digging Deeper with the DFX is the machines bible if you can find a copy and can read technical info and absorb it. I think I read that cover to cover 3 times and I am a computer admin.
Once you understand what to tinker with you will not be worried about depth.. we all get sucked into depth, but most places I have hunted, less is more as there are no targets real deep and you just pick up iron which can mask the shallower targets near by.

I start with C/J then make the following changes. Tone ID on, AC 65 to start depends on EMI, DC 30 to start, Ratchet off, SAT 0, Modulation off, Auto Track on, Trac view on, Trac speed 8 site dependent, trac inhibitor on, Disc accpet -88 > +95, Sweep speed 0, Ground filter 3 for clean 2 for trash as site specific, VID sensitivity 80, DC phase on, PAG 3 or 2 for high trash & emi, single frequency 15kHz on, Normalization off then save it with you own custom name.. I call it 15kHz wide open.

Most of the above is personal preference
Then at the site you will need to tweak AC, DC, PAG, Ground filters, maybe track speed, best data for beach, or correlated for iron infestation, mixed mode for clean area with potential deep targets and this will require ramping up DC as you will be hunting in both motion and non motion modes at the same time.
Good luck, it is a great machine

Thank you so much for the very informative response. That's what I was looking for...someone with actual air test results/knowledge. Unfortunately I have had to do the air test in an EMI area. Guess I could try out in the woods one day, but not sure that will happen. (Id rather be swinging and digging :) )
Thanks for the info on the settings and explanations on them!

I do have one question. Off hand I cant think what it means but I'm sure I have seen it in the menu, but... what is PAG?

Thanks for you help and info!

Last edited:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PAG is pre amp gain. Increasing it will give more depth but it can make your detector act up if it is too high. Depends on where you are hunting.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for the very informative response. That's what I was looking for...someone with actual air test results/knowledge. Unfortunately I have had to do the air test in an EMI area. Guess I could try out in the woods one day, but not sure that will happen. (Id rather be swinging and digging :) )
Thanks for the info on the settings and explanations on them!

I do have one question. Off hand I cant think what it means but I'm sure I have seem it in the menu, but... what is PAG?

Thanks for you help and info!
That stands for Pre amp gain. The pre amp gain amplifies the raw signal from the coil before it is processed, the AC sensitivity adjust how sensitive the motion channel discriminator is to the signal from the coil. The DC sensitivity adjust how sensitive the non motion channel is to the raw signal. PAG effect both the motion and non motion channels and should be raised first. Also any time you change the PAG, ground balance afterwards.
For instance, if you have PAG=2 and because of EMI you can only get things stable at and AC of 65, for greater depth, you would be better to raise PAG=3 and reduce AC. Also in most urban areas with power lines using 15kHz will get you higher settings without EMI and it is also the frequency that will get you the best dept no matter what. The machine runs both frequencies all the time but there is over head in processing both (best data and correlated) that will reduce the max depth. Took me a long time to accept this but it works the best in most cases. The other setting that affect dept is Ground filters. Setting it to 2 is going to reduce your depth but is best in trashy sites. I have my program default to 3 with a sweep rate of 0. Sweep does nothing with a GF of 2. When GF is set higher sweep rate or is it sweep speed, will increase the effect of the Ground filter to let you fine tune it between the setting of 3 and 4. If you are in highly mineralized soil, you may need to go to 4.

To set GF; Find a good target that you are fairly sure is a coin that is at least 4 or 5 inches deep. Do not dig it up it has to be a conductive target that has been in the ground for a long time. Set GF to 2 and GB. Swing over the coin at your Normal sweep speed and note the graph. If you can not find a deep coin, you can reduce AC to make it seem deep. Now increase GF by 1, GB and see if graph is better. If so increase GF to 4 and recheck. If no change or get worse, go back to a GF of 3. Swing a few times and then increase sweep speed by 3 and note any change.. If not or worse go back to 0. if better increase but do not go above 8 or so. In high minerals you may get better results at 4 or 5 but may also need to swing faster at a higher GF setting. The trick to get this right is to swing at your comfortable swing speed consistently while testing. In my area GF=3 Sweep=0 works best at my slow swing speed. In parks and schools I use a GF of 2 as there is nothing deep nor will I dig deep even if there were.

Note I learned all this from Digging deeper with the DFX..
One thing to note, coils do go bad.. more often then you would think they are a complicated and very sensitive part and age can do it without even using.. Depending on your hunting grounds a 6x10 might be a good investment, get almost as deep as the 950 with MUCH better separation.. with the 6x10 you would need to adjust the recovery rate...

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robotics

Robotics

Feb 20, 2016
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That stands for Pre amp gain. The pre amp gain amplifies the raw signal from the coil before it is processed, the AC sensitivity adjust how sensitive the motion channel discriminator is to the signal from the coil. The DC sensitivity adjust how sensitive the non motion channel is to the raw signal. PAG effect both the motion and non motion channels and should be raised first. Also any time you change the PAG, ground balance afterwards.
For instance, if you have PAG=2 and because of EMI you can only get things stable at and AC of 65, for greater depth, you would be better to raise PAG=3 and reduce AC. Also in most urban areas with power lines using 15kHz will get you higher settings without EMI and it is also the frequency that will get you the best dept no matter what. The machine runs both frequencies all the time but there is over head in processing both (best data and correlated) that will reduce the max depth. Took me a long time to accept this but it works the best in most cases. The other setting that affect dept is Ground filters. Setting it to 2 is going to reduce your depth but is best in trashy sites. I have my program default to 3 with a sweep rate of 0. Sweep does nothing with a GF of 2. When GF is set higher sweep rate or is it sweep speed, will increase the effect of the Ground filter to let you fine tune it between the setting of 3 and 4. If you are in highly mineralized soil, you may need to go to 4.

To set GF; Find a good target that you are fairly sure is a coin that is at least 4 or 5 inches deep. Do not dig it up it has to be a conductive target that has been in the ground for a long time. Set GF to 2 and GB. Swing over the coin at your Normal sweep speed and note the graph. If you can not find a deep coin, you can reduce AC to make it seem deep. Now increase GF by 1, GB and see if graph is better. If so increase GF to 4 and recheck. If no change or get worse, go back to a GF of 3. Swing a few times and then increase sweep speed by 3 and note any change.. If not or worse go back to 0. if better increase but do not go above 8 or so. In high minerals you may get better results at 4 or 5 but may also need to swing faster at a higher GF setting. The trick to get this right is to swing at your comfortable swing speed consistently while testing. In my area GF=3 Sweep=0 works best at my slow swing speed. In parks and schools I use a GF of 2 as there is nothing deep nor will I dig deep even if there were.

Note I learned all this from Digging deeper with the DFX..
One thing to note, coils do go bad.. more often then you would think they are a complicated and very sensitive part and age can do it without even using.. Depending on your hunting grounds a 6x10 might be a good investment, get almost as deep as the 950 with MUCH better separation.. with the 6x10 you would need to adjust the recovery rate...

Hope that helps.

Yes, all that info helps a heck of a lot, thank you for taking the time to explain it all!

I must have been having brain farts or something yesterday. The meaning of "PAG" threw me off, and later on I figured it out. I usually have my gain set to 3 and on rare occasions have been able to have it at 4 if the ground and conditions permitted.
I really don't know anything about the soil here in Virginia, and I guess that's one of the first things I should look into since it will have a lot to do with getting the settings set right.
I understand what you are saying about different coils (and I am aware if the the patterns they produce in penetrating the ground). One day I hope I will be able to get a different/better coil. Being new to this (6 months), I'm not quite ready to invest a lot in this just yet. Believe me I would if I could. And I must say, you got me worried a little when I read that coils do go bad and even without using them.
Heck this detector was bought in 2001, but probably has less than 150 hours of actual use on it. I sure do hope this coil is still good.

Again, thanks for all the wealth of info. I appreciate it.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you may want to see if you can tack down someone near by that has a whites that may have a known good coil you can use to test and compare an air test.
When doing air test, turn off auto track ground balance with the coil in the air for both enters.. it will say loading defaults.

OP
OP
Robotics

Robotics

Feb 20, 2016
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will keep this in mind. Good suggestion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread