looking for more opinions on these

Deuce777

Greenie
Mar 26, 2008
Hey! How is everyone today? Well today we went back to the spot where we found the "beads". We really aren't sure if that is what they are or not. Today we must have gotten 75 to 100 pieces between us. What does everyone think? Not every piece but most have a very straight well rounded hole all the way through. We found some other bigger pieces that were more like chunks with no holes in them but only kept a couple of them. If were we to go back I think that there are alot more "beads" to get. We are just trying to figure out what they are and if they are worth it. Any feedback will be well appreciated!! Thank you!!

Duece and Mainer

Attachments

• beads 2.jpg
    beads 2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 263
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We find quite a few Beads on the Ft Ancient sites that we hunt in my area of southern Ohio, but I have never seen any that look like that. My opinion is that they are a natural formation of some kind and the holes are created by a softer material that has eroded from the rock. Now even with that being said, they could still be Beads of some kind. The Indians used all kinds of things for Beads, but I don't think those were actually man made.

DorkFish said:
We find quite a few Beads on the Ft Ancient sites that we hunt in my area of southern Ohio, but I have never seen any that look like that. My opinion is that they are a natural formation of some kind and the holes are created by a softer material that has eroded from the rock. Now even with that being said, they could still be Beads of some kind. The Indians used all kinds of things for Beads, but I don't think those were actually man made.
I think he may be right. Its hard for me to tell from pics sometimes. One thing I have learned though is something drilled will be even, or smooth so to speak inside the holes. You wont have any "lumps" so to speak when you look through the thing. A couple of those do look like beads though. In some areas, I've seen crinoid fossils found around village sites, and they were definately used as beads, so with some of those, it depends on the context of where you found it.

A

Atlantis0077

Afternoon,

Looks like "iron ore" or sandstone formations we find here. Some are quite bizarre and but holes are sometimes uneven and never really smooth or polished.

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
duece777, like jonnyreb said, I too have seen Crinoids used as Beads and even have a few of them.

Here is some pics of the Beads we find and you can see the difference.

Attachments

• Steve Valentine Collection 247.jpg
    Steve Valentine Collection 247.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 209
  • Steve Valentine Collection 107.jpg
    Steve Valentine Collection 107.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 211
  • Steve Valentine Collection 028.jpg
    Steve Valentine Collection 028.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 200

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Iron concreations, can't remember what they are called but they come in all shapes and sizes.. many are smaller like those... almost like rusted sand.. formed in old swamps around the roots of trees I was told once by a geologist... may or may not be true, but they are definitely natural..

OP
OP
D

Deuce777

Greenie
Mar 26, 2008
These were all found in 2 seperate streams about a couple hundred feet apart. They were only found in a couple spots where the rocks had piled up in the stream. We looked upstream to see if they were in the whole stream and had just been washed down. There were none up or down either stream. I think they are clay or like clay. They crumble fairly easily and alot are already broken. The bed of the stream was mostly clay. We thought maybe we had found something but beginning to think they are not so special...lol. Thanks for everyone's thoughts and opinions. We got some good rain coming this weekend so can't wait to get back at it next week. Thanks again!!

Deuce

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread