Looking for N.C. Researchers, ECU Students to be our people "on the ground"...

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Re: Looking for N.C. Researchers, ECU Students to be our people "on the ground"...

We are (well, my hubby is ;))...from a long line of Midget/Midgett/Midgette/Midyet/Midyett/Midyette's of the Outer Banks...

I have several thousand of them just with the last name in my family tree files....total does not include females who married or descendants....

I have some family history on Jeannette, Farrow, Gray, Sawyer, ...oh heck..lots of them!

I love reading about what Fred and his team have been doing.

Charles Oak Island NC

Sep 12, 2007
Oak Island and Uwharrie, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X, Tesoro PIranha, Minelab MusketeerX, Garrett 350
Re: Looking for N.C. Researchers, ECU Students to be our people "on the ground"...

My mother's side is Carrow(you can look at the male Carrow's and see the lineage) of Chocowinity where they think they have located a possible village site for the Croatan. I am also mixed in with the Elk's and Lathams (Pinetown).
http://www.lost-colony.com/migrationpatterns.html

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Charles said:
My mother's side is Carrow(you can look at the male Carrow's and see the lineage) of Chocowinity where they think they have located a possible village site for the Croatan. I am also mixed in with the Elk's and Lathams (Pinetown).
http://www.lost-colony.com/migrationpatterns.html

My hubby's property in Buxton had digs done back in 1998....where they found a 10k gold signet ring....Dr Phelps said that was the center of the Croatan Indian village.....

Cool....you could be a descendent of Samuel Elk (his english name)....this town about 50 or so miles west of Buxton area is where they are trying to get the folks there their DNA testing done....some of them are pictured in the other thread about SEARCHING FOR THE LOST COLONY...I posted a pic there from the symposium we went to in 2001.

Charles Oak Island NC

Sep 12, 2007
Detector(s) used

Roberta Estes, has sent me all the info and the invitation to the web site. I will probable be doing the DNA test this month. You do know they have a probable Croatan village location near the old Tuscaroran village now town of Chocowinity (which is loosely translated Indian for for fish of many waters). My grand dad a Carrow was had one of the 1st autos in the area, yep he needed it to deliver his bootleg.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Charles said:
Roberta Estes, has sent me all the info and the invitation to the web site. I will probable be doing the DNA test this month. You do know they have a probable Croatan village location near the old Tuscaroran village now town of Chocowinity (which is loosely translated Indian for for fish of many waters). My grand dad a Carrow was had one of the 1st autos in the area, yep he needed it to deliver his bootleg.

Yes, I heard Fred speak of it....I think the village I am thinking of and the one you are writing of...are the same...I couldn't remember the name of it...if Samuel Elk's burial site is there, that is the village I am speaking of.

Good Luck and I hope the DNA works out well and gives lots of info.

Story has it Dorothy (Dolly) Payne (PAINE), who married Bannister Midgett(e) (hubby's 6th or 7th gr grandpa)...she was to be Indian, but know one knew from what tribe. I have a (xeroxed) photo of them. She had black raven colored hair and long and they are still holding hands in that photo after so many years of marriage! :)

They are buried at the old Salvo campground on Hwy 12. I have on video their headstones from back in 1995, but when we went back last summer, one was missing, most likely from a storm....Thank God I have a pic of it before it was destroyed!!!!!!!!! Their headstones are behind the bushes facing the sound.

I wonder if Dorothy was of the Croatan Indians...hmmm...that is something I will probably never know....unless I find that one paper in the records somewhere....I'll just keep searching.

My dau is of Miami, Choctaw and Quapaw...Chief Richardville, Chief LaFontaine and Chief Pooler (all Miami Indian Chiefs are her great grandpa's)...but that's another state :)...Traced her lineage to THE TURTLE!!!! (that was his name or what he was referred as). Family lore says one side (STATON) are from Cherokee heritage...have found no proof to this claim. :(

Good Luck on the DNA!!! Let us know how it turns out..,if you wouldn't mind :)
Annmarie

Charles Oak Island NC

Sep 12, 2007
Detector(s) used

Chocowinity is full of Elks, Bucks and Carrows and are the ones Fred has talked about in his reports.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Charles said:
Chocowinity is full of Elks, Bucks and Carrows and are the ones Fred has talked about in his reports.

Ok....That is the place then, and the ones in that photo that I mentioned, they are from there...I do remember there last name was ELK.

Charles Oak Island NC

Sep 12, 2007
Detector(s) used

as a young man BMS (before military service) living in Chocowinity I use to go out to Indian Island in the Pamlico River. I have been trying to find something on line to post about it, but no luck yet. Was where the Indians were suppose to have gone to do ceremonies and there was some pirate gold reportedly found there in 2 old cast iron kettles.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

Yo! ;D I wanna thank ALL of you for responding... TOGETHER, WE CAN solve this "mystery"... gotta be a "Wild Hog" now... (singing in Johnny Cash voice... "I hear da thunder a'coming... it's coming around da bend...") ;D ;)

Charles Oak Island NC

Sep 12, 2007
Detector(s) used

Rebel - KGC said:
Yo! ;D I wanna thank ALL of you for responding... TOGETHER, WE CAN solve this "mystery"... gotta be a "Wild Hog" now... (singing in Johnny Cash voice... "I hear da thunder a'coming... it's coming around da bend...") ;D ;)

Wild Hog ??? I got one parked in the yard ;D
Mot0Baby.gif

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

Yo! :D LOL... LAWD GAWD A'MIGHTY!!! TOO FUNNY... ROFL. ;D :D :D

Treasure Detector

Feb 9, 2007
Mechanicsville
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 70

My Dad is ( I am ) an Etheridge from Wanchese and my Mom was a Midyette from Hyde County. There is also a Bannister Midyette in her family. I always heard we had Indian in us. Who knows.........

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Treasure Detector said:
My Dad is ( I am ) an Etheridge from Wanchese and my Mom was a Midyette from Hyde County. There is also a Bannister Midyette in her family. I always heard we had Indian in us. Who knows.........

Treasure .... and I bet I have your family history in my files!!! Was the Bannister Midyette (Midgette) in your family married to a Dorothy "Dolly" Payne (PAINE?) or was he the son to Bannister and Dolly? I have loads of Etheridge's too!

transplant

Dec 26, 2006

might look up the coree indians. core sound was named after them

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

Yo! ;D I had a GREAT web-site at that "addy"... BUT! just "google" Coree Indians... transplant is correct; MAY be able to find your N.C. "family connections"... DUNNO. ???

K

Kentucky Kache

Are we saying these Indians came from Croatia?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions