Looking for new detector.

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug, Garretts ACE-350 and Garrett's pinpointer pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys. I have a garrett ace 350 and am wanting a better detector. My main interest is coin hunting. What would be the best detector out there for under 2000.00 dollars. I want one that has good depth and as accurate as possible with as many visual aids as possible as I am deaf and have a cochlear implant but can connect to it for audio signals but not as good as normal hearing. I need something I can see well with loud signals. I have read all kinds of review from company that sells them but I would like you guy opinion that actually use them

Last edited:
Upvote 0

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like you have already done your research. All of the major manufacturers have great machines that will work for you. With the budget you mentioned you should get an excellent coin machine. I believe one of the best coin machines is the Minelab Etrac or Explorer, White's V3 or DFX.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PhilBarnett - you will get a bunch of recommendations from member's - you have a tough decision ahead of you. However, whatever you decide - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With having hearing issues - you'll want to get one with a "boosted audio" feature (not to be confused with boosted gain) although - that's a good feature to have too :-)

HH

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was considering the e-trac or even the ctx3030 if I could come up with the extra dollars. Was also looking at the whites V3I as the display seems very nice. Another consideration was the Garrett GTI 2500. But I am not familiar with any of these in practical use. One thing I like is the bell tone signal as it seem to be one that I can hear pretty well. But there again Need the visual signal to be the best as it only takes a small amount of outside interference to destroy my hearing ability. So in these considerations the accuracy of the visual is most important to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I will be buying from a supporting vender for sure!

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I noticed on the whites V3i is the VDI number are clear on the screen and the depth is clear on the screen. I also noticed that the CTX 3030 has a feature that you can enlarge the VDI number and depth numbers. Another that is better then my ACE 350 is the at pro as it has very visible numbers . The e trac for the videos I have watched seems to get a lot of interference from sun light to see the screen but also has fairly good size numbers. What you all say about the visuals of these detectors.

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I noticed on the whites V3i is the VDI number are clear on the screen and the depth is clear on the screen. I also noticed that the CTX 3030 has a feature that you can enlarge the VDI number and depth numbers. Another that is better then my ACE 350 is the at pro as it has very visible numbers . The e trac for the videos I have watched seems to get a lot of interference from sun light to see the screen but also has fairly good size numbers. What you all say about the visuals of these detectors.

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How accurate are the VDI numbers to actual coins. I noticed that the CTX 3030 has a screen where you can enlarge the VDI numbers and th depth Numbers. Is this very helpful when you can't depend on being able to hear all the tones?

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Phil. I find my V3i to be very accurate on the VDI for coins. It also has polar plot to further analyze your target. You can change display sizes, colors of the screen and set what ever frequency of audio you want to specific VDI numbers. You could pick the frequency you can hear the best and set it to whatever VDI's you want. They are all individually selectable. The also have very nice wireless headphones and volume level is controlled right from the menu. I love mine. Good luck on whatever you decide!
Rob

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030, Tesoro Tejon and Sand Shark, Fisher F75-ltd, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would look at the V3i. It falls nicely in your budget and you can get it without the wireless headphones and plug high quality phones into the machine. It is very user customizable with lots of visual cues and you can customize the audio for whatever tone or frequency you like. Before sinking money into any machine see if you have a metal detecting club in your area. It would be a good way to look, feel and hear various machines and may help you make a good decision on which machine is best for you.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Whites V31 has the best visual display of the detectors you mentioned. Great contrast, full color, and multiple screens to analyze targets. The CTX3030 does have the capability to enlarge the VDI/ Depth display. They both are accurate on VDI numbers, generally when the detector is confident that it is a coin, it's a coin.

Give me a call, PM or email if I can help you in your decision.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an ability that some of you don't have so let me explain! I have the cochlear implant implanted into my brain and I have what looks like a hearing aid that goes behind the ear. This allows me to hear by fm signals that are transmitted directly into my brain. What I hear is not what you hear but is perceived sound rather than actual sound. So I hear things a little different than most people. But at the same time I have some residual natural hearing mostly. In my left ear. But with the implant I can cover my ears with ear phones but I have a set of high quality in the canal waterproof ear buds that I have attached to my belt and then plug a 1/4 inch coiled cable into that and then into my machine what ever I am using. So summarized I do have hearing ability to hear not only the detector sounds but outside sounds also. Even though my out side sounds are affected by wind etc like you hear on videos at times. I do like the sound from the garrett ace 350 but with it I don't have VDI numbers. I wish I had bought the At Pro instead of the Ace 350 but I didn't. But I am not happy with the ACE 350 that much is why I want a top of the line detector. Hope this helps you understand how us deaf people function. With today's devices we can function nearly normal in good conditions. But not as well as natural hearing. I thank God that I do have some residual hearing that does pretty good with the ear buds. This is interesting that the whites has adjustable sound signals if I am understanding you all correct. I am now curiouser I'd the e-trac and the CTX3030 also has this feature. I am aware that the 3030 has adjustable font size but I don't know if the e- trac does. Do you all know if any of these has volume boost. Not gain boost but just audio boost.

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Whites V31 has the best visual display of the detectors you mentioned. Great contrast, full color, and multiple screens to analyze targets. The CTX3030 does have the capability to enlarge the VDI/ Depth display. They both are accurate on VDI numbers, generally when the detector is confident that it is a coin, it's a coin.

Give me a call, PM or email if I can help you in your decision.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Wayne when I am ready to make the actual purchase you will be the first I contact. Can't call but I can text and email. It's s going to be a couple more months before I purchase as I am saving for this now. Thanks for every ones help. Hope to hear more from some of you that actually are using these machines as I want to learn all I can before I make the purchase. I don't want to have to test by purchasing as I am on a fixed income now that I have had to retire due to being deaf. I'm 59 so I had to retire a couple years early.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Etrac does have a capability to make the VDI numbers larger. The CTX3030 has bins that you can set to individual tones - a bin is a grouping of VDI numbers. The V3i has the most customizable tones, you can actually set a different tone for every VDI number, and you can choose the frequency of the tone. In your case, you could set a tone in a frequency range that is more conducive to your implant or left ear hearing.

Wayne

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Phil. I find my V3i to be very accurate on the VDI for coins. It also has polar plot to further analyze your target. You can change display sizes, colors of the screen and set what ever frequency of audio you want to specific VDI numbers. You could pick the frequency you can hear the best and set it to whatever VDI's you want. They are all individually selectable. The also have very nice wireless headphones and volume level is controlled right from the menu. I love mine. Good luck on whatever you decide!
Rob

Thanks Rob for the information. After looking at a lot of videos on YouTube ad what I am reading here I am pretty much set on the Whites V3I. Now just got to finish raising the cash. I am a couple months away from have enough for the whites. If there is any other info you can think of please let me know.

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would look at the V3i. It falls nicely in your budget and you can get it without the wireless headphones and plug high quality phones into the machine. It is very user customizable with lots of visual cues and you can customize the audio for whatever tone or frequency you like. Before sinking money into any machine see if you have a metal detecting club in your area. It would be a good way to look, feel and hear various machines and may help you make a good decision on which machine is best for you.

Mark. I don't have any local clubs around close to my immediate are. Closes I can find is about 70 miles away. Thanks for the info. I am pretty set in my mind on the V3I.

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Etrac does have a capability to make the VDI numbers larger. The CTX3030 has bins that you can set to individual tones - a bin is a grouping of VDI numbers. The V3i has the most customizable tones, you can actually set a different tone for every VDI number, and you can choose the frequency of the tone. In your case, you could set a tone in a frequency range that is more conducive to your implant or left ear hearing.

Wayne

Just sent you a PM Wayne

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions