Looking for some info

jasonw77

Dec 9, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm very new into this hobby and have been running my nox 800 for about 2 weeks every chance I get. I've been running park 1 with the factory presets, and digging almost everything. But I want to get more familiar with the tones and numbers to remove some of the trash I'm digging.

First I seemed to always miss the target when I dig, when I first get a hit I usually do an x pattern to get a rough idea where the item is. Then I utilize the pinpoint feature but still always off target. Now I don't have a ton of time on this machine, maybe 15hrs. So understanding some of this will take time and practice. Any helpful information on this would be great.

Secondly I'm seriously considering building a test garden to help strengthen my knowledge, if I do what types of coins or material should I bury? Realizing I'm new where can i get a mix of older coins to bury (since i haven't found any yet), and which type should I look to purchase for this garden?

I appreciate any help with these questions

Thanks

salvatorparadise

Mar 31, 2003
bexley, oh
You can find lots of roached coins on eBay cheap. Even old silvers that are worn nearly flat or that have damage such as holes. When you are done you can sell them. These are known as "cull" coins, if you use that term you will find these lots.

OP
OP
J

jasonw77

Dec 9, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can find lots of roached coins on eBay cheap. Even old silvers that are worn nearly flat or that have damage such as holes. When you are done you can sell them. These are known as "cull" coins, if you use that term you will find these lots.
Thanks for the info, looking at ebay for them

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I would also suggest eBay for those garden coins. Silver Washington, Silver Mercury, War Nickels, Wheat Penny, IHP, Large Cent, Seated Liberty, Standing Liberty are just a few of many suggestions.
The clad, pull tabs, iron nails you can get just about everywhere. Good luck!

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I struggled with pinpointing too when first starting out with my 800, now I’m right on top of the target just about every time. Keep practicing, it will come, sometimes the pinpoint will lock on to trash close by the target and throw you off. Use very slow and small movements when pinpointing. The target will be located right under the center of the coil, where the shaft attaches to the coil ears.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jasonw77

Dec 9, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I struggled with pinpointing too when first starting out with my 800, now I’m right on top of the target just about every time. Keep practicing, it will come, sometimes the pinpoint will lock on to trash close by the target and throw you off. Use very slow and small movements when pinpointing. The target will be located right under the center of the coil, where the shaft attaches to the coil ears.
Thanks nuggetdog, I'll keep at it.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When pinpointing pin point then turn sideways and repin point. The target should be right in the middle of the two. Also if you missed the original area you might be using the toe or head of the coil to pin point

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread