Looking for suggestions for a region of spain- treasure hunting

Jak_Atlas

Tenderfoot
Sep 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Staying in the south Catalonia in the eastern part of Spain on the coast for the next two weeks. Staying in the farm lands with access to transport while doing work and exploring the rest of the time. Mainly cathedrals and ruins but wouldn't mind suggestions or a pointer on somewhere worth exploring. Been visiting museums but there's nothing as good fieldwork to me. Always had a thing for collecting antiquities. I look forward to hearing from someone. Let me know - Atlas

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to Treasure Net !
One source's opinion:
"[h=3]Spanish Law re Metal Detecting[/h][FONT=&quot]We all know of detectorists going to Spain who take their metal detectors with them, to "do" the beaches. Most of them don't seem to have any problems, but they could![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If you consult with the Spanish Tourist Office in London their general information sheet states "The use of metal detectors is not allowed unless an import license for the detector has previously been issued. Further enquiries should be made to the Spanish Commercial Office. The Commercial Office in turn will provide the following info (in brief):[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Because the use of metal detectors inherantly involves the finding of national heritage/archaeological/treasure trove items anything found by this method of recovery could be covered by the relevant law (Historical Heritage) of 25/06/1985 & Royal Decree of 10/01/1986. It would then be necessary to comply with the complex proceedures outlined in these enactments, making it highly unlikely that any item discovered could be removed from Spain. The consent if given can take several months and if of historical/artistic interest it would be unlikely.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Basically they are saying anything found should in theory go through the appropriate assessment, even current coinage![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There is further legislation unrelated to the historical /cultural aspect which could cause a detectorist problems. The metal detector being used may not comply with radiation safeguard legislation.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Finally if this hasn't put you off. There have be complaints from local Naval authorities that use of Metal Detectors interferes with electronic communications.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]These problems relate to both land and beach detecting in Spain.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The official advise therefore, is that is preferable NOT to use metal detectors in Spain."
Source: Detecting in Spain from Detecnicks
Don..........[/FONT]

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was me there I would be looking into archives on information pertaining to the locations of old Jesuit sites before their expelltion

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was me there I would be looking into archives on information pertaining to the locations of old Jesuit sites before their expulsion. They hid a lot of treasure here in the states

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was going to be sarcastic and say that Spain would then ask to turn over your treasure to the govt., as it's
the country's heritage...!

OP
OP
Jak_Atlas

Jak_Atlas

Tenderfoot
Sep 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point

Interesting to know, I'm not a big user of metal detectors anyway. Good to know the stance on it here though.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted a beach in spain right over the Portugal border - I asked people and they said some police will stop you
others wont - they have like 5 kinds of police over there - maritime police will probably stop you on beach
they don't like you hitting older historic spots either - years ago guys from UK went over to Portugal and spain and hammered
old sites that were not yet actual historical sites and "stole" all kinds of artifacts - many Roman era artifacts and took them back to UK and sold them
so it killed the hobby for most - you can find TH'ers in both countries - some have permits - only given to nationals
I was almost arrested in southern Portugal for water hunting - this is after land police said "No problem" but marine MPs did not agree
went to northern town in Portugal and went to sea side town PD asked a young officer and he said no problem - his chief was a round the corner
and ran out and said "Nope!" - younger guy said "See its a grey area- depends who you ask ...we don't even know the laws"

Vijojure

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I life in Catalonia and I can tell you that here metal detecting is chased by different laws . If police or any law enforcers see you then you have a big trouble. And if you are in a zone that is considered or catalogued as natural or cultural interest you're in huge trouble , fees can get up to 30.000€ an they may take away your detector, and for sure your finds.I have a friend that does detecting (mostly civil war stuff) and he is really careful when goes out. It is a shame here in Spain we don't have much freedom I hope you can keep yours...going back to your question in the south of Catalonia was the biggest fight of civil war called 'batalla del Ebro' you can find tons of bullets and war stuff, you can also look for iberians settlements really active in your area, roman settlements ( tarraco today known as Tarragona was an important roman city) here is a lot to discover.
Have fun in Catalonia ! and I repeat be really cautious

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... If you consult with the Spanish Tourist Office in London their general information sheet states "The use of metal detectors is not allowed unless.........

Well I got news for you Dan: So too could be the same be said of officials here in the USA. If you asked the right one, using the right mental imaging, and got a purist archie who thinks "Arpa" applies to the question. Not saying to "throw caution to the wind", but let's be honest: There's been such answers thrown out there (yes, even on a country-wide level) when persons went into bureaucracy asking questions. Perhaps the answer gets couched in terms of antiquity laws (as if you're asking to trounce on sensitive monuments). Or shipwreck salvor laws, or ... whatever.

And then once such an answer gets circulated into links or rules compendiums, it's impossible to put to rest. It might even start getting enforced (by police who perhaps would never have cared or given the matter a moment's thought).

True story: I listed a detector sale on ebay once, and .... the winning bidder was in Spain ! I had not specified "USA only", so I was stuck to honor the deal. The buyer pre-paid, sent ample over-seas shipping $, so, I figured I had nothing to loose. As the buyer and I made arrangements for the sale, my curiosity got the better of me:

I sent him the link and said "I thought md'ing wasn't allowed there ?". To which he emailed back and said that such laws IN THEIR CONTEXT are for public land. NOT for private land. So they (much like 99% UK hunters) simply hunt private land with permission (fallow ag fields, etc...) . Presto, problem solved. And besides that, they're usually so far back in the forests and mountains that .... quite frankly .... there's no one around to care, to begin with. (his words, not mine )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread