Looking for suggestions to seal out dirt and sand from between coil and cover

Deepseeker 1

Nov 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark, Ace 250
I would like some suggestions on what type of sealer I could use to keep sand and dirt out from between the coil cover and coil. I was thinking of using some type of spray on painters masking....mainly so as to be able to remove at different times. Any suggestions on a material that could be removed but during the application of it would keep dirt and sand out from getting in between the coil and cover??? I would like a possible inexpensive product to do this,...but anything that works,... and is removable would help! Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks... :read2:

Deepseeker 1 :icon_thumright:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silicon calk. Will stretch with temperatures and esy to remove with a razor blade if you want to later. Also keeps out water. Monty

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the caulk works great. be sure to get the type that dries clear. I have also used the following: Liquid electrical tape around the seam, (messy). Spray on stuff used for the fenderwell on pickups, (kind of messy). And last but not least, good ole black electrical tape, stretched tightly around the seam. You can't even see it. Of course the tape only works on the concentric and oval coils, no good for the spyder type coils. I would recommend the spray-on stuff the least. I did that to my go-to-coil and have now started to hope I did a good job sealing it. It dryed pretty hard and I don't know If I'll be able to take the cover off.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beware !

Once you do this you may get over confident
Nothing can get it.

Only to think later your Detector Went Bad when it goes Haywire.

Tiny Particles Usually Can and will Get in.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gotta' agree with Jeff to a certain extent. When mine get a little weird I just pop it off and clean it out with high pressure air and a little water. Pressure from an air compressor will pop it right off, just don't have it pointed in your face or you get all those nasty particles in your eyes! Silicon still if you must seal it off. Monty

woodwizard

Mar 28, 2009
I use liquid electrical tape it works very good as you can see its not messy as earlier stated in fact you can't even see the seam.I use this product on all my coils-no problems so far. if you ever have to remove cover just use razor carefully on joint to separate,rub the rest off with rag and elbow grease.first snap cover on then fill in joint with liquid tape a little at a time until its filled

Attachments

• coil.jpg
    coil.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 197

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
This has been posted time & time again. Do a search and U will find that most people find that using bedliner coating or epoxy are the most durable & trouble free-LOSE the CC :thumbsup:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
erikk, where do we start the 'search'?

I just bought a S U-Max and want to know the best way to
protect the coil w/o nixing the warranty.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought new the Umax comes with a cover already on it! You can hardly tell it. I didn't know it until I got something in mine one time. Monty

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
It will take about 5 minutes for sand/dirt to get between CC & coil. Try the search box :laughing9:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Erikk:

Why would I want to do that? Isn't this Forum the place to
get expert answers for detecting questions? If it bores you
move on.

lastleg

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used bed liner on a brand new outa the box coil,best choice I ever made ,Cost $14 for a can of liner at the auto parts store

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions