Looking for treasure hunters in South Florida!

elweezer

Jul 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,

My name's Allie Conti, and I'm a reporter for the Miami New Times. I'm doing a story about a metal detecting dude, and I'm looking for some people to talk to about looking for gold on or around South Beach. Interested in helping me out for an article? My office number is 305-571-7613, or you can PM me on here, and I'll get back to you. Thanks guy, and happy hunting.

- Allie

Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whos the Dude?

OP
OP
E

elweezer

Jul 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not meant pejoratively, of course.

OP
OP
E

elweezer

Jul 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's a 24-year-old guy who says he supports himself entirely from jewelry he finds on SoBe. I just wanted to talk to some other people who metal detect in the same area as hobbyists.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It can be done ... If he doesn't mind living in his vehicie or under a bridge.

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Unless your article is about all the restrictions that state and federal goverment is putting on metal detecting your not going to get much help from us...

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It can be done ... If he doesn't mind living in his vehicie or under a bridge.

Hehehehe! I'd be lucky to eat with my finds!

OP
OP
E

elweezer

Jul 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be happy to talk to anyone in FL about anything at all related to metal detecting. Whoever wants to give me a call and chat is more than welcome to do so.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's a 24-year-old guy who says he supports himself entirely from jewelry he finds on SoBe. I just wanted to talk to some other people who metal detect in the same area as hobbyists.
If he has 0 bills...he could make enough to live off potted meat and pork n beans.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Follow up your article with how folks trash the pristine beaches!!!!!!! Remind them that can or dirty diaper doesn't disappear over night.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now wait a minute - I think maybe it could be done "if" the hunter had daily access to places like South Beach and if he lived modestly. Really, all it would take is one or two good finds a month, meaning a couple of items beyond the standard gold rings etc., and places like South Beach could potentially cough that up if the hunter spent enough time in the water. But it would certainly have to be a dedicated and disciplined lifestyle. At any rate, I think I would require the exact financial details of "making a living" before I wrote that article. Could be he's still living at home?

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could see a full time hunter doing it there. About the only place he could thou. In order to do it thou he cant be selling for even ARA prices of 98% on spot melt. Hed have to have an outlet for the finds that would pay him above spot melt. Say a consignment to maybe a jewelry store. We all know we cant part with say a $5000 plat and diamond ring for $300 in melt. You certainly came to the right place for Fl treasure hunters on both sides of the island. Id say Rudy, the Bulgarian, and Gary could make a pretty good money in a year.

Dew

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it can be done for sure. Just don't have a spouse or kids.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be even hard in South Miami.... Been slim pickings down there for many experienced hunters lately.... You can go for weeks with no gold even there....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anybody could do it, it would most likely be Gary T. Drayton.
He is a successful hardcore beach hunter who has published pictures of many valuable finds and has written several excellent books.
I suggest you contact him, if you are lucky and he likes what you are doing, he may talk to you.
I doubt anyone in his league, would call you - as they are extremely disciplined and dedicated to detecting, with little free time for chatting.

Several who have already replied to you on this thread, certainly have the capability.
If you follow their posting on this and other forums, you will be amazed at how much they have found.
I agree with Dew, in the importance of being able to sell found jewelry by yourself, consignment, jewelry stores, or to museums is extremely important, especially now, as the melt value has fallen to long term lows for gold, platimum and silver.

If anyone is making a living doing this, other than a professional salvager, I seriously doubt that they would reveal it.

Last edited:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anybody could do it, it would most likely be Gary T. Drayton.
He is a successful hardcore beach hunter who has published pictures of many valuable finds and has written several excellent books.
I suggest you contact him, if you are lucky and he likes what you are doing, he may talk to you.
I doubt anyone in his league, would call you - as they are extremely disciplined and dedicated to detecting, with little free time for chatting.

Several who have already replied to you on this thread, certainly have the capability.
If you follow their posting on this and other forums, you will be amazed at how much they have found.
I agree with Dew, in the importance of being able to sell found jewelry by yourself, consignment, jewelry stores, or to museums is extremely important, especially now, as the melt value has fallen to long term lows for gold, platimum and silver.

If anyone is making a living doing this, other than a professional salvager, I seriously doubt that they would reveal it.

I just bought Gary's book, "Beach Hunting". It's great.

I also doubt that anyone is making a living at it. It's a nice thought, but so is that we're all 19 yo hunks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread