Looking to buy a used MD. With these specifics.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is what I have already.

Garrett Groundhog-ADS====15khz. 7.5 and 10.5 concentric coils.
Whites Goldmaster V/Sat====50khz----stock elliptical coil, 5x10, not DD.
What I am looking to replace is the groundhog. I could sell it for the money,or keep it as an extra,and just buy a used one.
Here is what I am looking for in the detector. I am looking and have it narrowed down some what.

Chest,belt mountable.
15khz to 20khz.Multiple coil choices. Concentric, and elliptical. 3 inch up to 12 or 14.
Manual ground balance. + Auto ground balance. Iron discrim.
Adjustable thresh-hold. + if possible,Sat-or self adjusting thresh-hold or auto tune or auto trac.
Sensitivity or gain control.(depth)
No VDI or LCD screen. I just want analog meter,or sound.I like buttons and knobs. No push buttons.

Basically a general purpose like my groundhog but an updated version of some thing.
If I have forgotten some thing I will ad it,or you can chime in.
Coin,relic,and prospecting.
Used,unless new is low enough,under $300.

I can buy a new 4 inch sniper concentric (co-planer)for my groundhog also.If I should keep it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roadrunner,
You do have your priorities picked out! You might want to send your post off to a few of the sponsors listed way down at the bottom of the home page as well as to Terry Solomon and see what comes back while this post starts to get answers. Do to the chest or belt mounting White's TDISL and the Tesoro lines came to mind, not many others fit that option but it is one I would also want. Some folks do not like them anywhere else but on the shaft but I prefer to have the box mounted on me. Best of success with answers to your questions...........63bkpkr

OP
OP
roadrunner

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the response.I am going to Pm terry as that is who I asked last time when I was looking for a gold machine.
And he gave me 4 choices,and of course I picked one,the whites I just bought 2 weeks ago.

Tesroro is at the top of my list right now. Along with fisher second.F70,or F5,or one of those models.Cant remember which one right now.
I am asking here first because I know a lot of people here use different search coils.
I will have to start looking at websites,or sponsers as you suggested.
I have a brochure from Fisher,and whites already.

The only other one would be the Garrett scorpion which is basically my groundhog,just updated for looks and weight.
But I dont think I can get co-planers or concentric coils for it.
But I do not like how the batteries are changed.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Sovereign GT fits most of your requirements. I really love mine. It's a true workhorse of a detector for anything from coin shooting, beach detecting to relic hunting. I've seen good used ones go for $500-$650 on EBay. Good Luck in your decision!

Last edited:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know a lot of people that use the TDI as a chest mount. I have heard that it is a pretty good gold machine. I use mine for relic hunting as it is the deepest machine next to the GPX and it works well in hot soil.

OP
OP
roadrunner

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest: