Looking To Set Up Small To Medium Operation

wannamine

Greenie
Apr 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello there.

I am new to these boards so please be gentle with me ;)

Just to introduce myself, I am a 48 year old UK guy currently living over in Thailand. I have always been interested in gold mining since I was a snot nosed kid and had it on my bucket list for a looooong time. I have spent hundreds of hours reading, youtubing and of course watching just about every TV show ever made on the subject, but most importantly have had the green light from 'she who thinks she is boss' to go out and pursue my dream.

I have absolutely zero hands on experience, and so I am looking to touch base on this forum with like minded individuals. The folks that would interest me the most will already have practical experience. I am sure this forum is one of the best places for that.

Ideally I want to get involved in a project over in the USA or Canada (possibly). I don't really want to start as a recreational miner, USA is a bit far to pursue a hobby. I like everyone else want to make a good living out of it if that is possible and i know it is, albeit 'risky'. So lets limit the risks by tying in with folks who have already made the mistakes.

Would be great to have a chat with like minded people. Maybe there are a lot out there with say $25K available but need quite a bit more for a reasonable sized project. I am not looking for investors, I have cash on the hip to throw at this thing, and its money I can afford to walk away from should everything end up going pear shaped. But I don't want to go all in on something with others who have 'nothing to lose'. It is my thinking that if everyone has something to lose, then the team is a lot more productive. We can always go bigger once something has proved itself.

I am not chasing 100 Oz a week, that's foolish and out of the reach of my budget. I would be happy with several Oz a week to cover costs and maybe a beer or two left in the pot. Its all about the learning curve, we can go bigger later...

Maybe someone has a claim they want worked, maybe someone knows of a good claim we can lease. I don't know.... who is even reading this? I am open to all kinds of suggestions, but hopefully this thread will throw up a team of 4 motivated individuals willing to throw in a few grand to launch something that can change their lives.

Maybe someone has a project that is only $30K away from being funded or $100K away, lets talk and discuss whatever and see what comes out of it.

One thing I am good at though, give me an internet connection and I can get investment on the fly. But I have a half decent wedge of cash so long as others in the team want to follow suit. I also have lots in assets, so if needed I could liquify them to go bigger, but all the better if the project was able to fund its own expansion.

I have a few ideas but I will save that for later or I won't have much to talk about.

Feel free to PM me or I am just as fine chatting in open forum. I will add more later if I think of anything (I get forum block when typing).

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NO-no experience--don't want to learn-don't want to start small-spam man-John

OP
OP
W

wannamine

Greenie
Apr 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NO-no experience--don't want to learn-don't want to start small-spam man-John

hmmmmm? That was a bit of a weird reply.

I'm sure you know what you wanted to say.

If you could maybe be a little more specific, then I may be able to work out if there is something I need to defend. Or explain to the board a bit better. Give better clarity to the subject... that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can not use TreasureNet to raise funds it violates our rules.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
W

wannamine

Greenie
Apr 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can not use TreasureNet to raise funds it violates our rules.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Oh right.

I am not exactly setting out to raise funds. I am looking to raise a team with hands on experience. I just wanted to be totally up front from the get-go and explain that I am an investor, but won't be interested in offers from people not willing to stump up themselves.

If I just want a team and front all the money myself, I would have almost everyone up for it. So I am basically starting the filtering process to weed all that out.

Sorry if it came across as a request for investment.

Last edited:

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500 (need a new/better one)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like a good deal for the right people, BUT speaking as a Retired Police Officer....BEWARE ALL>>>yes all,, wannamine may and most likely is 100% on the up and up and an HONEST guy...but he may not?? Then to wannamine, man you gotta becareful too!! Your on the open web where every nut in the world has access and your talking about dropping 25 to 100K??? Just saying!!!! there are crooks in the USA and Canada....I mean no offense to anyone just all parties need to do their OWN vetting, know what I mean?

In fact I wish had that k's and claim to be in the vetting game..

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wannamine

Greenie
Apr 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like a good deal for the right people, BUT speaking as a Retired Police Officer....BEWARE ALL>>>yes all,, wannamine may and most likely is 100% on the up and up and an HONEST guy...but he may not?? Then to wannamine, man you gotta becareful too!! Your on the open web where every nut in the world has access and your talking about dropping 25 to 100K??? Just saying!!!! there are crooks in the USA and Canada....I mean no offense to anyone just all parties need to do their OWN vetting, know what I mean?

In fact I wish had that k's and claim to be in the vetting game..

Hey Sackett.

Hello, and thanks for the warnings.

I absolutely agree. Everyone in this matter would be well advised to listen to this guy. Any business venture that requires an outlay (especially such a considerable amount) should ALWAYS do their due diligence.

You are totally correct here, it is very risky to take people on their word whom you have not met, after all, we are faceless entities on here and can claim whatever we wish to. But there are many measures to take that can limit the risks.

Like I said in my original post... Give me an internet connection and I can get investment on the fly. Meaning I have a lot of contacts in the online opportunities world, and in that industry it becomes second nature to keep oneself 'safe'.

I always recommend doing due diligence before laying out money, it can disappear before you can even have time to react. Make sure you research the opportunity to clarify if it is 100% viable, any chink in the business plan is an opportunity to see your $$$s vaporize before your very eyes. Obviously there is always risk, but risk reaps reward. high risk = high reward and generally in contrast, low risk = usually low reward. If we could find low risk = high reward, we would all be doing it ;)

I am not a 'knee-jerk' impulsive type. I have had business partnerships in the past, and I know they can turn sour. When a partnership works in harmony it is the best thing ever, when they don't its an absolute nightmare... been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Whatever I do in this project, I will start with dialogue only, talk is a great starter and its free. Discuss, debate, get it all airtight. Next is to start a simple shell company with all involved. Next would be to draw up a watertight contract of obligations and liabilities of each party, so that everyone is safe from everyone else. Then lastly we can talk about putting the project together.

Not a cent would leave my bank unless I had at least face to face meetings, and that would be prior to running the project anyway. Every party will know when they are comfortable with the project.

I do have some ideas, I done a lot of study work before going into this. I know what I would like to do, but I prefer to set the stage for people to approach me with their own ideas. Lots of people out there with good hands on experience and in my book, there is no substitute for actual experience. My lack of it in a 'HANDS ON' nature makes any of my own ideas non-relevant unless someone who totally knows what they are doing tells me they are good and workable.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sawatdee Krup,

Please don't take this the wrong way Wannamine. But I'm not sure why anyone with a claim and the know how would want someone they don't know, with no hands on experience as a partner and then have to jump through so many hoops to get the deal off the ground?

The thing is, once you're already in the mining business the last thing you need are partners that are wannabe miners. No disrespect intended here but mining is hard intensive work and NOT for the inexperienced no matter how well intentioned and psyched up about mining they are. Especially when it comes to hardrock mining. First you would have to know some geology, go through MSHA training, have experience with explosives and be able to operate specialized equipment. Not to mention not being claustrophobic. :tongue3:

Now if you are talking full time placer mining (or any full time gold mining for that matter) at a return of only a few ounces of gold a week you may be thinking a little too small. For a team of 4 miners and all the necessary equipment combined with operating and living expenses it would take at least a couple ounces a day to make the effort worthwhile.

I wish you well, but don't expect any seasoned miners to be chomping at the bit to take on an unknown inexperienced apprentice as a partner.

Sincerely,
GG~

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
not to be a wise guy but youd probably do better in vegas. no guarantees in gold mining even when all the test say there is gold to be had!

mining is a very risky buissness, more fail than make it so watch out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wannamine

Greenie
Apr 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sawatdee Krup,

Please don't take this the wrong way Wannamine. But I'm not sure why anyone with a claim and the know how would want someone they don't know, with no hands on experience as a partner and then have to jump through so many hoops to get the deal off the ground?

The thing is, once you're already in the mining business the last thing you need are partners that are wannabe miners. No disrespect intended here but mining is hard intensive work and NOT for the inexperienced no matter how well intentioned and psyched up about mining they are. Especially when it comes to hardrock mining. First you would have to know some geology, go through MSHA training, have experience with explosives and be able to operate specialized equipment. Not to mention not being claustrophobic. :tongue3:

Now if you are talking full time placer mining (or any full time gold mining for that matter) at a return of only a few ounces of gold a week you may be thinking a little too small. For a team of 4 miners and all the necessary equipment combined with operating and living expenses it would take at least a couple ounces a day to make the effort worthwhile.

I wish you well, but don't expect any seasoned miners to be chomping at the bit to take on an unknown inexperienced apprentice as a partner.

Sincerely,
GG~

Yeah... I realize that it won't be easy, but this is a huge forum with many people passing through. It only takes one right sort of response and its a start.

The hoop jumping is not that difficult, its a business registration with a simple standard contract. Nothing so daunting that someone with the fortitude to suffer all kinds of frustrations while mining would run a mile from. Which to all intent and purposes is as much for their protection as anyone else.

I would also consider myself very well read on geology, believe it or not we have rocks in the UK and Thailand too, so not been hard to put it into practice. MSHA training? a mere formality of a safety course available to anyone throughout the USA.

I don't feel disrespected by your post, but I have overcome a lot of very complex hurdles to get where I am in life, bureaucracy the like of which you can only have nightmares of. You try establishing a teak plantation in a country as xenophobic as Thailand, almost all give up, but I see the job through. It's how I am.

As far as mining not being for the inexperienced, I wonder how miners get their experience in the first place if mining is not for the inexperienced. Everyone enters mining as inexperienced. I just want to start as a stakeholder in the operation. I am a good learner.

I am 48, I have done a few things in my time that 99% of other people would fail at, or would not even consider doing, and I have come out smiling. I am no novice to adventure and work. I had nothing handed to me for free... ever! I know what it takes to go out and get what you want.

I admit I am a bit of a dreamer, but I always seem to fulfill my dreams. I was considered as a bit of a dreamer in my school years by the other kids and the teachers. But 20 years later I have sat in a pub with some of the same kids having grown up, telling them stories from when I hitch hiked through the continent of Africa on my own over a 12 month period. These guys hadn't even left the town they went to school in.
ju
I know my limits, and there are few in my book.

But thanks for the input anyway.

I have had quite a few very interesting PMs, so there are people out there on my wavelength.

@Gold Tramp

Thanks mate..... no risk = no reward.

TeamNugget

Mar 31, 2013
Charleston, SC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, old school out of date.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Look into states that allow you to stake a claim, theres 19 states, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. Learn the insides and out of the BLM LR-2000 system and also minecache.com its a KLM file for google earth. But getting a claim seams to be the easiest way to get land to start mining on. I've been looking into it but I live on the wrong side of the damn country. Minecache will help you find active and closed claims it also shows all active mining operations too. I'm fairly new to prospecting and have only been in the field once, but I did find gold my first time out with nothing but a pan and scraping dirt up with my hand but out of 5 pans I managed to get 7-8 tiny flakes. I'm just trying to get funds up to buy some equipment and then I'm off and running.

But, study the maps, find several possible areas to stake a claim and then spend time prospecting them to see if it would even be worth your while. I've been looking at moving to Arizona JUST to try and stake a claim and try my luck, I've got a few areas picked out but maybe in a couple years IF I can ever get some damn equipment and find gold out here. Like I said I'm new to this and trying to offer some advice and not just criticism. I'll try and help with what I can feel free to ask.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah... I realize that it won't be easy, but this is a huge forum with many people passing through. It only takes one right sort of response and its a start.

The hoop jumping is not that difficult, its a business registration with a simple standard contract. Nothing so daunting that someone with the fortitude to suffer all kinds of frustrations while mining would run a mile from. Which to all intent and purposes is as much for their protection as anyone else.

I would also consider myself very well read on geology, believe it or not we have rocks in the UK and Thailand too, so not been hard to put it into practice. MSHA training? a mere formality of a safety course available to anyone throughout the USA.

I don't feel disrespected by your post, but I have overcome a lot of very complex hurdles to get where I am in life, bureaucracy the like of which you can only have nightmares of. You try establishing a teak plantation in a country as xenophobic as Thailand, almost all give up, but I see the job through. It's how I am.

As far as mining not being for the inexperienced, I wonder how miners get their experience in the first place if mining is not for the inexperienced. Everyone enters mining as inexperienced. I just want to start as a stakeholder in the operation. I am a good learner.

I am 48, I have done a few things in my time that 99% of other people would fail at, or would not even consider doing, and I have come out smiling. I am no novice to adventure and work. I had nothing handed to me for free... ever! I know what it takes to go out and get what you want.

I admit I am a bit of a dreamer, but I always seem to fulfill my dreams. I was considered as a bit of a dreamer in my school years by the other kids and the teachers. But 20 years later I have sat in a pub with some of the same kids having grown up, telling them stories from when I hitch hiked through the continent of Africa on my own over a 12 month period. These guys hadn't even left the town they went to school in.
ju
I know my limits, and there are few in my book.

But thanks for the input anyway.

I have had quite a few very interesting PMs, so there are people out there on my wavelength.

@Gold Tramp

Thanks mate..... no risk = no reward.

I like your attitude and wish you all the best.

Tried to get a Garcinia Mangostana (locals call it Mancut) plantation off the ground near Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat) Thailand so I have some knowledge of the hurdles you speak of.

Without engaging in a micturating contest of accomplishments and world experience, my comments concerning your lack of hands on mining experience being a hindrance to landing a partnership with a seasoned miner was meant only as an observation by someone whom has some expertise in the matter. Not meant as any personal attack on your desire or fortitude.

As Hoser John was alluding to in his post earlier is that he would also be unwilling to get involved with someone who has not earned their stripes by starting at the bottom and working their way up. You'll find that all real sourdoughs share that sentiment. With that being said, in this time of resurgence of "gold fever" I'm sure you'll find others who share your same naive romantic view of gold mining coupled with an abundance of enthusiasm and will risk their time effort and hard earned dollars to pursue the dream with you.

Gold Tramp told it like it is, but alas once the fever hits then all reason flies out the window. Welcome to the club wannamine, dont say you werent warned. :tongue3:

Go for the gold
GG~

OP
OP
W

wannamine

Greenie
Apr 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that input again.

I can fully understand that a lot will be more than objectionable to let others benefit from their years of toil.

I am really just trying to hook up with some like minded who have been there and done it and want to take it to the next level, and would need to have some better finances to see it come off. I would think finding the cash to fund an operation is harder than finding the gold itself. So I like to view myself as one hurdle overcome.

Just to show how small a world it is. I live in Korat and my teak is just up the road. By the end of this year we ought to have 10,000 trees in the ground. We will do a cut in 5 years of the first 5000 to thin out, that will be a nice payday... Not all treasure out of the ground is gold :)

Also my wife was just talking about the price of mangostenes 60B a KG and in a few weeks will be 20B... sorry for the off topic.

One of my all time favorite quotes.

“Get going. Move forward. Aim High. Plan a takeoff. Don't just sit on the runway and hope someone will come along and push the airplane. It simply won't happen. Change your attitude and gain some altitude. Believe me, you'll love it up here.”

Donald Trump.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wannamine

Greenie
Apr 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look into states that allow you to stake a claim, theres 19 states, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. Learn the insides and out of the BLM LR-2000 system and also minecache.com its a KLM file for google earth. But getting a claim seams to be the easiest way to get land to start mining on. I've been looking into it but I live on the wrong side of the damn country. Minecache will help you find active and closed claims it also shows all active mining operations too. I'm fairly new to prospecting and have only been in the field once, but I did find gold my first time out with nothing but a pan and scraping dirt up with my hand but out of 5 pans I managed to get 7-8 tiny flakes. I'm just trying to get funds up to buy some equipment and then I'm off and running.

But, study the maps, find several possible areas to stake a claim and then spend time prospecting them to see if it would even be worth your while. I've been looking at moving to Arizona JUST to try and stake a claim and try my luck, I've got a few areas picked out but maybe in a couple years IF I can ever get some damn equipment and find gold out here. Like I said I'm new to this and trying to offer some advice and not just criticism. I'll try and help with what I can feel free to ask.

very helpful post... Thanks.

I already have the minecache addon for Google Earth, its great isn't it ;)

What sort of mining were you after doing?

There is loads of gold over here in Thailand and pretty much left alone, but a foreigner can not mine it or even touch it.

There is a mine close to me, run by an Australian company (I don't know how they managed it, must have acquired it before the xenophics got to government) But they are pulling out a lot. The only actual figures I can access is in the last quarter of 2009 which was over 40,000 Oz of gold and 131,000 Oz of silver.

Really wish I could set up here, but it is impossible and the Thais don't bother with anything more than a bit of panning in the rivers. I have seen only one Thai setup doing hydraulic recovery.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that input again.

I can fully understand that a lot will be more than objectionable to let others benefit from their years of toil.

I am really just trying to hook up with some like minded who have been there and done it and want to take it to the next level, and would need to have some better finances to see it come off. I would think finding the cash to fund an operation is harder than finding the gold itself. So I like to view myself as one hurdle overcome.

Just to show how small a world it is. I live in Korat and my teak is just up the road. By the end of this year we ought to have 10,000 trees in the ground. We will do a cut in 5 years of the first 5000 to thin out, that will be a nice payday... Not all treasure out of the ground is gold :)

Also my wife was just talking about the price of mangostenes 60B a KG and in a few weeks will be 20B... sorry for the off topic.

One of my all time favorite quotes.

“Get going. Move forward. Aim High. Plan a takeoff. Don't just sit on the runway and hope someone will come along and push the airplane. It simply won't happen. Change your attitude and gain some altitude. Believe me, you'll love it up here.”

Donald Trump.

I can tell from our conversation that you are not the average Johnny come lately wanting to get into the gold mining boom on a whim. You also seem like the sort of individual that would be successful no matter what you set your mind to accomplishing.

"What the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve"
A quote that I favor and have no idea who the author was.

Speaking of gold in Thailand, my wife whom was born and raised near Korat speaks of finding pebble sized gold nuggets while helping her brother dig a fish pond there as a teenager.

Here's wishing you all the success and happiness that life has to offer..... :occasion14:
"Pom kor sadaeng kwam sook ..... kwam charoen nai cheewit tdor pbai"

Chok Dee
GG~

OP
OP
W

wannamine

Greenie
Apr 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much.... very kind words.

Lets just hope it will all end up 'sanook yai' and not 'mai pen rai'.

Best of luck in all your endeavors.

Chok Dee.

TeamNugget

Mar 31, 2013
Charleston, SC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, old school out of date.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Man, sucks you can't set up shop out there. Surprised their not all over it with people pulling out numbers like that.

I'm not looking to do any major mining at the moment, I just ordered the G1 highbanker and dredge kit for it as well as a blue bowl. Gotta find a nice pump for it and hopefully get my start. I've got 2 5 gal buckets full of cons I brought back that I can't wait to run. I panned some and got a few flakes. I'm heading back to that stream asap and dredge the hell out of it. Sorry, I'm ramblin, damn gold fever. :)

But, best of luck getting started up man, if ya ever need some help or anything let me know.

very helpful post... Thanks.

I already have the minecache addon for Google Earth, its great isn't it ;)

What sort of mining were you after doing?

There is loads of gold over here in Thailand and pretty much left alone, but a foreigner can not mine it or even touch it.

There is a mine close to me, run by an Australian company (I don't know how they managed it, must have acquired it before the xenophics got to government) But they are pulling out a lot. The only actual figures I can access is in the last quarter of 2009 which was over 40,000 Oz of gold and 131,000 Oz of silver.

Really wish I could set up here, but it is impossible and the Thais don't bother with anything more than a bit of panning in the rivers. I have seen only one Thai setup doing hydraulic recovery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread