Looks like I FINALLY found the old home site

CrankyBuzzard

Jul 6, 2020
North Texas USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and White's Spectra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the land I hunt there are 3 old home sites that range from 1896+. So far I’ve located 2 and have worn them out over the last several years. The 3rd has always been MIA, until this morning.

Not sure why, but I decided to go over to the corner of the place where 2 “paths” are shown on the old map from 1932. Iron was everywhere and then I literally tripped over the chimney foundation. Lots of nails and broken pottery in each dig hole and also what looks like a layer of “charcoal”, so I’m thinking that this place may have burned down.

Either way, I found a couple of doorknobs, an old flat iron, and some whatzits before it got way too hot to continued. But, it’s now “mapped” out and ready for me to start the history harvest.

5AC4D3BA-5C0B-4F8B-A8B6-000E7D05E2BA.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 21

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! There have been some cellar holes in New England that I had trouble finding even after a couple of visits. However, after some perseverance, I have found them and the results are usually worth it.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on tracking down that elusive home site! I hope it produces lots of great finds. Make sure to keep us all in the loop with your future finds!

OP
OP
CrankyBuzzard

CrankyBuzzard

Jul 6, 2020
North Texas USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! There have been some cellar holes in New England that I had trouble finding even after a couple of visits. However, after some perseverance, I have found them and the results are usually worth it.

The old man (91) that lives on the property next to where I’m hunting told me just a bit ago about a “cellar hole” on my place. I’m thinking those are uncommon in Texas, be he says he remembers the house being there and there’s still a hole. I’m supposed to meet him later This afternoon and he’ll show me the spot. If so, that means a fourth place is located here!

I’ll get some pictures and post in What Is This and see what folks think.

OP
OP
CrankyBuzzard

CrankyBuzzard

Jul 6, 2020
North Texas USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on tracking down that elusive home site! I hope it produces lots of great finds. Make sure to keep us all in the loop with your future finds!

Thanks, I was starting to think it was like Atlantis!

Just a bit ago I was informed there may be a 4th site here, so I’m getting rehydrated to go out and hit it again in the morning at daylight.

thursdaythunder

Aug 13, 2019
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold / AT Pro / Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats & good luck on your history harvest :occasion14:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! There’s gotta be some coins there! Good luck!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice work, now go and find some more keepers! :occasion14:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm trying to find an old house site listed on the plat book myself. Where 'o where? Unfortunately, I don't have a 91 yr. old man to ask.??? Go dig 'em! Gary

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying to find an old house site listed on the plat book myself. Where 'o where? Unfortunately, I don't have a 91 yr. old man to ask.??? Go dig 'em! Gary
Yes ToddsPoint I am trying to track down 2 sites I have some evidence that people spend time there on a regular basis But I do not know exactly where the house itself was Good luck on making that location clear

OP
OP
CrankyBuzzard

CrankyBuzzard

Jul 6, 2020
North Texas USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, the 91 year old wasn’t on target like I had hoped. The “cellar hole” was where 2 field terraces met up. Not even an iron signal anywhere in or around it. But, he offered his back field after harvest, so still a win.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Perseverance paid off- great work and GL on your return trips!

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, White DFX, Fisher F4, White V3i, Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your research and effort will pay off. It may not be right away but it will. Way to be persevere !

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done alot of hunting throught the years, and in my area especially old homesteads that were burned down, most usually were stirred and dozed over. Followed by pushing dirt up from around a 50 ft radius of where a house once stood. It's understandable why, but for us hunters in the now, it's a shame, since that's where alot of the drops or losses took place, just to be pushed into a cellar or well hole. Many feet deep.
Also I have found many other house sites not even on early maps.in a dry season Try walking not really creeks per say, but larger ditches that run off into creeks. The beds remain mostly dry, follow what small streaming water you see, until you notice the water in the bed slow down or completely stop. Go back a bit, and look on the banks for a water flow and follow it to what is likely a natural spring. Hope this helps some.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread