FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Looks Like I'm going to Maui, Hawaii

My parents who are in their 80's and can't drive far want to return to Maui, Hawaii one more time in 2010.;D And yes, I know its an island but we fly first, drive later. It's my first time ever in Hawaii and its easier now to ask which beaches are the best ones to metal detect in shallow water? Thanks for your help. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Chewbaby

Dec 22, 2008
Sebastian, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Re: Looks Like I'm going to Maui, Hawaii

My Wife and I stayed in Ka'anapali on the island of Maui (North West Maui) and I have to say it is absolutely the most beautiful place on earth. The beaches were really calm watered there and very clear. At the resort we stayed at (Ka'anapali Beach Club) there is not much sand on the beaches but it's like being on a lake with light wave action. We got married on Po'olenalena Beach in Makena (South West Maui) and the beaches are larger (more sand) but the water is alot rougher. We went in April and I believe the minister said the beach average's 6-10 ft. swells.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!!!

Oh yeah, the sunsets are breath taking!

Attachments

• sunset.jpg
    sunset.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 790
  • beach.jpg
    beach.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 786

Chewbaby

Dec 22, 2008
Sebastian, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000

I forgot to mention that the sunset picture i took at the Resort and the wedding picture was taken by our photographer at the beach we got married at.

-Matthew

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Maybe you can hook up with the "grimroofer" while your there. He finds some pretty good stuff on the island.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Never been to Maui, but many times to the big island and Molokai. Lot's of rich people on Maui with gold rings, etc. If you have the money, it's The Place in the world to live.

West side beaches would have almost no surf, East side beaches would have surf. I'd imagine the West beaches would be the best to hunt; more people, more stuff lost, and no fighting surf.

It is salt water, so don't even think of taking a detector that can't hunt salt water.

Maui is a populated island, so land detecting wouldn't be much of an option. Soil's hard, and lots of vegetation.

Good luck!

Ranger121

Apr 7, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites Amphibian II
Bounty Hunter

Yo, Flauthor, I live in south Maui, Kihei. Nice beaches ring the island, pick one and go for it. Most slope off to deep water in a short distance, I have most luck in the "blanket lane", and around trees, rocks etc. where people tend to put their stuff while swimming. As per above, Makena is an undeveloped beach with loads of visitors, it's always pretty good. The "Cove" in Kihei is a surfing training area for visitors; I get lots of requests there to hunt for lost rings, necklaces, etc. Good luck, HH, and Aloha.

BareBones

Aug 20, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Surf PI, Ace 250,Excal 1000,PI Dual Field, Sand Shark

Well I am here in Maui for the next two weeks. I went out today for a little while in Paia where I am staying which is on the north shore and I can tell you this is not the place to hunt in the water.

I'm told the tourist beaches on the south side of the island would be much better and I'll get there eventually.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Try the beach in "hana"lots of rich folks stay there.If you make it back to oahu,try waikiki in front of the reef hotel,also makapu beach and sandy beach.Be warned if you go in the water,only go on flat surf days,those 2 beaches can set you on your head at the beach line during high surf.Im orginally from kailua,oahu.

BareBones

Aug 20, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Surf PI, Ace 250,Excal 1000,PI Dual Field, Sand Shark

Well I can attest that the surf is pretty serious on Maui.

I snapped my lower shaft clean off right above the coil the other day on the South side of the island. I got tossed in the surf break and while it was fun, it was not pretty.

Black sand and black rocks are horrible on some of the beaches. The falsing is so bad I feel like I am pissing in the wind even trying to hunt.

On the plus side, the beaches are pretty clean so there is not a lot of trash to dig. Yes there are bottle caps, pull tabs and hair pins, but compared to what I am used to in Florida they are almost non existent here.

I found a nice .925 chain and a cheap silver/gold ring, one of the guys I was hunting with found a nice 18K and Plat ring so I know it's out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions