Looky Looky What 2008 Garrett Coin Metamorphasis Got Me

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
FLINTLOCK.jpg

I have had a bundle of loot stashed in my room, wondering what I could possibly get from last years metal detecting clad. There are no new machines out there that really have my interest, so when I saw this in Cabela's catalog, I knew that is what I wanted. Ever since being a little gaffer, I always liked those long rifles that Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett carried. And finding round musket balls in and around Edmonton kept that child like desire to get a flint lock muzzle loader. Well, it finally arrived. Now to do some more shopping for supplies-flask, black powder, lead balls etc.and also a little reading and lessons so as to not blow myself up, and I shall be ready to fire my first lead ball!

Attachments

• dp550.jpg
    dp550.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 219

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First thing you need to do is get some flints! And never dry fire it. M :thumbsup: nty

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a 50 cal ball and cap for a while. My kid now hunts with it. I was totally amazed at the accuracy of the darn thing over 75 yards. Very impressive.

My memory might be fading a bit, but if I recall I was using about 72 grains of FFF smokeless black powder and getting somewhere around 1200fps on the ball. Could be off a bit tho... been a long time ago.

Cleaning was easy. Soap and water... when I was done I would pour boiling hot water down the barrel through a funnel to rinse all the soap out. The heat would cause all the water to evaporate and then a swatch with light oil.

It was a lot of fun to load and shoot. Make's a hell of a bang...

hollywood13185

Jan 18, 2009
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett GTP 1350, Ace 250, Detector Pro Pistol Probe
Thats pretty cool. All my clad morphs into sodas and candy bars. ;D Congrats!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a couple of muzzle loaders but both are percussion. I have never fired a flint lock but I bet it is fun. We have a black powder hunting season here at home but it is no longer primitive firearms as it started out a several years ago. The reason is because there are so many deer now they need to be thinned out for their own health. The pure primitive arms shooters weren't taking enough to thin out the herd, so now any rifle that loads from the muzzle is legal. Now you see many inline muzzle loaders with shotgun primer ignitions and powder that is made with no sulpher so cleaning is a breeze. Just squirt some Windex down the bore, swab and reoil it and you're done. The new "powder" isn't even corrosive. Monty

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Monty said:
I have a couple of muzzle loaders but both are percussion. I have never fired a flint lock but I bet it is fun. We have a black powder hunting season here at home but it is no longer primitive firearms as it started out a several years ago. The reason is because there are so many deer now they need to be thinned out for their own health. The pure primitive arms shooters weren't taking enough to thin out the herd, so now any rifle that loads from the muzzle is legal. Now you see many inline muzzle loaders with shotgun primer ignitions and powder that is made with no sulpher so cleaning is a breeze. Just squirt some Windex down the bore, swab and reoil it and you're done. The new "powder" isn't even corrosive. Monty

Thanks for some tips Monty! I was surprised at how many other people who metal detect also shoot black powder. It's amazing how one hobby can lead into another.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shooting as well as metal detecting was once almost exclusively a mans sport, hobby, or profession but for a few exceptions like Annie Oakley. Now there are almost as many women involved as men and that has the reason both have become so popular in the past decade. When I was a rookie cop there was only 2 female officers on my department of around 300 people. Now there is about 600+ officers and about 20% are female. And I think it has been good for the community with few exceptions. So thanks ladies for stepping up and showing your metal. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread