Lost a magnet

jettydog

Sep 7, 2017
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was not planning on magnet fishing today but I had the entire afternoon free so off I went.
I was throwing off a public dock in Ocean City N.J. and I was only a few throws in when all of a sudden it wouldn't budge.
I never felt it grab like you sometimes do so I am guessing it got hung up in some rocks.
I did everything I could to try and work it free but it would not move one bit.
I worked on it for over an hour and not one tiny bit of movement, I finally got down on my stomach reached as far down
as I could and cut the rope. I know exactly where it is and I am not giving up yet, I was thinking of going back with a grappling hook I don't have one and this is a good time to pick one up.
Of course it was my 350, sucks to lose it but I guess it is part of the game.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that but it happens. How deep was the water? Maybe you have a friend with an extendable pool cleaning pole and reach down and free it if it is not to deep. If it is loose, another magnet will hook on to it. Knowing that area there could be a Volkswagen down there, so be carefull.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a bummer that you cut the line, now you are probably going to need a snorkel.
I just wonder if you could have pulled it the other way from a boat?
Now I just hope it doesn't end up wrapped around someone's propeller.

OP
OP
jettydog

jettydog

Sep 7, 2017
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boats don't get anywhere near that dock, it is just for fishing not for docking.
The magnet is only about two feet off the dock and the rope I left behind is pretty short so it shouldn't cause any problems.
I know the exact spot where the magnet is so I will still try to retrieve it but who the heck knows what it is into down there.
It is supposed to get real warm again for a few days so that might be the time to snorkel and see if I can get it.
I'll have to shoot for slack tide because there is a lot of current down there.

OP
OP
jettydog

jettydog

Sep 7, 2017
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that but it happens. How deep was the water? Maybe you have a friend with an extendable pool cleaning pole and reach down and free it if it is not to deep. If it is loose, another magnet will hook on to it. Knowing that area there could be a Volkswagen down there, so be carefull.

I tried to use my other magnet but no luck at all.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you have tied the cord to a vehicle ?

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
Could you have tied the cord to a vehicle ?
no i could'nt of ? just to summarize if the magnet is wedged between to large boulders ? say each one is 1000lb each (but you dont know) could be 3000lb each and you tie the cord to proposed bumper of your car and you start pulling ? what is going to happen first ? HMMMMMMMMMMMMM ! now lets think hard ?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread