My first magnet fishing trip

GA Magnet Fishing

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out with my fiance and my mother, we each had a magnet and rope. We went to a nearby creek that runs under a bridge where I live, and my first throw I hook something heavy. It kept breaking loose when I pulled, until finally I change my angle and got it out from under a tree limb. What was it? A big a$$ street sign that weighed 30-50 lbs. It was a pain dragging it onto the land because it was so steep

11-3-2017 (1).jpg 11-3-2017 (5).jpg 11-3-2017 (4).jpg

On the opposite side of the bridge we got another sign, the exact same kind. I did not photograph this one sadly, but we did take both of them home lol. We went to another nearby creek where I got a few more things, some nails/rocks/a weird looking lock with a keyhole and some pipe. Will be getting some white vinegar and salt to soak this stuff in.

11-3-2017 (3).jpg

Looking forward to going back out, will be going this week hopefully. 8-)

Attachments

• 11-3-2017 (1).jpg
    11-3-2017 (1).jpg
    706.7 KB · Views: 161
  • 11-3-2017 (2).jpg
    11-3-2017 (2).jpg
    591.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 11-3-2017 (2).jpg
    11-3-2017 (2).jpg
    608.3 KB · Views: 138

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to hear and see folks from GA. What part? You did good .

OP
OP
G

GA Magnet Fishing

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
South GA, has anyone put magnets out behind a boat and went slowly down a river? I imagine it would cover lots of area in a quick time, or even drag it behind a canoe

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not very practical due to having to pull the magnet often and checking it. We tried using a boat and it was not long that the mess dragged in on the magnets painted us and the boat the same color as the bottom of the lake. The magnet only covers about a 5 inch path when pulled in so that would also require many trips side by side to cover any area. Setting still and pitching out seems to be the preferred method, along with bobbing the area closest to the dock.

OP
OP
G

GA Magnet Fishing

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out today to the river near by house, first throw got my first knife and a bungee chord at the same time :D

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been a while since I’ve gotten my rope wet....
thanks for sharing your finds, and good luck with future hunts

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
GA Magnet Fishing, good post. I am new to magnet fishing too. I'm from Covington, Ga.........not near far East enough of the Big A'. I have gone magnet fishing here in one of our rivers. I found a lot of railroad spikes, a few coupler pins and other iron. Keep up the good finds and happy hunting. The last time I went to the spot, I got my magnet hung up on something hewge', and as far as I know, my magnet is still on the river bottom attached to something hewge'.

OP
OP
G

GA Magnet Fishing

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found that it is better to drag the magnet side to side as you reel it back in, and doing this allows you to hit spots from the bank that you can't if you throw..for instance, there is a tree in the way of throwing it a certain way, simply throw it somewhere else then walk over to the side where you could not throw and reel it in. sometimes I take a few steps left or right as I reel the magnet back in to get a zig zag pattern

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread