Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A few years ago, I found some brass CSN (Confederate Navy) buttons, along with some other unusual types, here in Florida. I wanted to post them here on the forum for everyone to see, but I cannot find them. I hid them in the house somewhere...I think. :'( I am selling my house and need to find them before I move. They might be in the attic under the loose insulation. Has anyone ever had this problem? >:(

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
LOL They sat in a little box in my top drawer for 15 years and I never worried about them. I started renting rooms in my house to bring in some extra money.. That is when I moved them.

I found the buttons all together in Lemon City, (what is now an old part of Miami).Some are in mint condition. Probably my best find ever. Pictures tell a thousand words, but I have no pics.

My attic has copper pipe, conduit wiring, nails, etc., and I have to crawl in itchy fiberglass insulation. I will have to search with a MD.

Another story: My favorate Uncle passed away and my Aunt can't find where he hid all his gold coins. I will have to check her attic also.

You might be surprised what caches people hide under loose insulation in attics. I used to find a lot of stuff crawling through attics doing A/C work. I have found tools and guns after renters moved out. And an old stamp album.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck on the button search bigcypress.How long ago'd ya find them? Lemon city's a pretty rough section of town nowadays huh?

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure they're in the attic? Could it be that you put them maybe say on that top shelf in the closet or in the kitchen cabinet stashed behind the pots and pans? Might be that you put them in an old vase or under that chest of drawers? I better hush before I give away all my hiding places! :D I would search every other possible place they could possibly be and then hit the attic last! :D

Hope you find them! Good Luck!

;)

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Nana40, I checked those places. Under the chest of drawers is one of mine. I hide valuables and money in clothes that I don't wear anymore. I hope it didn't go to the church or the disabled veterans.

diggemmup, It was many years ago, in the 1980's. I used to work on Miami Avenue. There was an old run down trailer park near the Alcoa place. I drove by a trash pile and decided to look. I found a whole pouch FULL of buttons, an old news clipping, and a lock of hair. Someone's collection. The pouch was a sewing kit, with a lock of hair for good luck, that soldiers often took into battle, I was told. The buttons were made in England. I didn't realize what it was until the next day, and went back to find it.? The South had few factories, and imported many items from England in exchange for cotton.

Yea, it is a ROUGH area. Maybe I was a little naive at the time. I believe those bad areas are the last frontier of metal detecting. Most of them are very old ,untouched, virgin territories. You need to use an old cheap throw- away detector, team up with a buddy and wear official looking clothes. ;D A concealed weapons permit could also help. :(

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,I have a couple cheapie detectors and I can get some official looking clothes.Have a weapon but no CWP yet.I'm a big guy and used to have to reposess t.v.'s and such back in the '80's in that area(Liberty city and Overtown)what a riot.That was always an experience.There's nothing like a big African American ex-con who thinks they own a t.v. because they paid $10.00 for a weeks rental.Enter me,a big white redneck cracker who ain't leaving without it.Ahh yes the memories,guns being fired at you, punches being thrown,knives being weilded.No,I don't miss it.But I wouldn't mind detecting some of that area.Like you said, it (inner city financially deprived areas) probably is the last frontier for metal detecting,cause you need big cajones to go in there.Early Sunday mornings would be the best time to hit those areas,I would assume.If you have any good prospects,i'm ready! :)-BTW-what do you think of all the urban sprawl that has infested S.FL. over the last 20 years or so?For better or for worse?-diggummup

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
bigcypresshunter said:
I hid them in the house somewhere...

BibC,

That soooooooooooo sounds like me :-\
Seems whenever I put something in a 'safe place', I forget where it is after a while. Have had a whole slew of these incidents in the past few years.
I'm assured it's not early alziemers's, cuz I still have the "ah-huh" factor if I do find an item!
Sure hope they turn up for you.
Good luck

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to be very good at helping other people find things they miss placed or lost. Now that I am older I am losing things all the time, like my car keys or TV remote. Start by returning to that drawer and open it and just stand there with your eyes closed and remember touching them while they were in the drawer. It might come to you this way if you clear your mind of junk.

I lost an old brass door knob from a 1700 era farm house. It is here somewhere.....

Good Luck and let us know when you find them.

sandman

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
How about under the mattress? OOPS, thats where the Playboys go.... if memory serves me correctly.... :D

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks y'all for the tips. I hope I will find them. I believe they could be worth a thousand dollars each. The old pouch itself would be worth something.

diggemmup, No i don't have any prospects. I would think any of those old woodframe houses would be a good place to search. The financially depressed do not own metal detectors. They probably never even thought about getting one.
What do I think about the S. Fl. urban sprawl? I think it is PARADISE LOST. South Florida has become a cesspool. Almost everyone is out to cheat you... But, this is my home and i like the Everglades, The Keys, and the Treasure Beaches. The keys were really something when i was a kid... Paradise lost...sad... :(

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i sew all my loose buttons on my underpants never missplaced them yet... ;D

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not bad, just about took 5 years to find too. After all that time I thought you may have even forgotten that you had them :tongue3:

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Almost sounds like an incident I had here the other night. I dug a beautiful 1935 merc. I put it on my desk to take a pic of, I turned my back to get my camera, and when I turned back around It was gone! I've searched everywhere, still cannot find it. The only thing I can think of is "MOM" has it or moved it! I think she is punishing me for not talking to her in a while. She sits on my desk in her miniature urn, and I occaisionally talk to her, but not lately (been extremely busy with Dr. app't.'s and holiday preparations.) Guess I will have to ask her what she did with it :dontknow:........NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions