The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is that a red-tailed boa? Awesome snake...I think I'd keep it!

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, you're right...I couldn't imagine a rattler that large...thought someone must have lost a pet. What a monster!

TXKajun

Oct 12, 2005
Desert Southwest
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 750
Eating?? Heck, looks like a pair of boots, a purse, a saddle and a briefcase. Hey, MDW, how bout posting a pic of a BIG one instead of one of the baby ones?? After all, things are bigger in TX, right??? LOL

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
For the record, the largest rattlesnakes come from the southeast.? The eastern diamondback rattlesnake is the largest venomous snake in North America and the largest rattlesnake in the world. Adults usually stretch four to five feet in length and weigh four to five pounds, although a few eight-foot, ten-pound giants have been documented.? The largest ever killed was in north central Florida.? It was clamed to be a bit more than 11 feet and wasn't weighed that I know of.? That was in the 1930's.?

The current Texas record for a rattler is (or was) 8 feet 3 inches and 16 3/4 pounds.

I'm sure that the quote in the above picture is supposed to be 9.7 pounds.? The length is measured with the snake flat on the ground and not hanging.? Hanging dead snakes stretch.? If it is 9.7 pounds, I would venture to say it is probably more like 7 to 8 feet long.

Reguardless.... I wouldn't want to meet up with that puppy in the brush.

:o :o :o

Waco Kid

Apr 21, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
DigEmAll said:
For the record, the largest rattlesnakes come from the southeast.

Alright, you guys in the Southeast. It looks like the gauntlet has been thrown down. It is now your solemn duty to go out and beat the bushes to see if you can top this Southwestern specimen that is attempting to rob you of your regional honor.

A

AK in KY

HOLY CHIT!!!! I'm not affraid of snakes and that scares me looking at the photo. I'm curious, what did it read on your detector? ;D

AK in KY

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
My nephew would love it... If I found it and didn't bring it home, he would be MAD... ;D
Good luck, watch out for those criiters, & Happy hunting~

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
Sweet find!! I used to live in that area. So the record is 9 ft huh, I guess we should have reported the 10ft diamondback we killed back in the 70's. Thats gonna skin out to be a huge skin. Congrats!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you find that snake or is that just a picture you found? I saw that same picture in the newspaper a couple of months ago. Monty

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
Do you guys know the history behind Fritch Texas? This guy that was trying to find oil had his land stolen from him by the state [Imenate domain] and given some worthless ground instead. LOl he accidentally found one of the biggest Natural Gas deposits in the US. Thats Fritch!!! What a bitch, and the State of Texas has been paying him every since.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like he did OK if the state is still paying him! I worked in a medium large City Urban Development Department for 10 years and saw eminent domain in practice. The constitution does not forbid the taking of private property, rather forbids the taking of private property without just compensation. In most cases the people who had their property siezed received more than just compensation. Some of them received several times over what the land or property was worth. Knowing in advance that an Urban Renewal project was in the works I have seen greedy investors buy up undersized lots for back taxes or for practically nothing just so they could collect ten times what the property was worth when it was bought up for the project. Those guys are the crooks or the wolves in sheep's clothing. Eminent domain is a good thing as long as it is not abused. The abuse is the problem, not the process. The national media has made an example of a small church that lies within a corridor improvement district in my Small town. They (media) has made it seem that the City is taking away the church without offering just compensation. When in fact, the Citiy has only made its first offer and there has been no negotiations regarding a settlement yet! There has not even been the slightest mention of eminent domain except in the press. The area itself is a slum and ghetto and has been an eyesore and a trap for poor blacks for years. This is the first chance the persons who live there have ever had to escape the poverty and move into nice homes in integrated neighborhoods. Most of them are very pleased. Two other churches have already settled their buy out and are satisfied the City did right by them. The only remaining church is the holdout and the one causing the premature judgement by the media. Well, off my soapbox, just a few thoughts about the current situation of eminent domain. Monty

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
fellow i worked with in port orange fla killed a 11 + footer on the jobsite there in 86, pinned it beneath his truck tires and smacked it about 47 times with a shovel....no picture but i still have the rattle pinned to an old hat,,, 17 rattles.......

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I would go find another spot to detect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread