Lost Mine South Llano County, Texas

cds7189

Jun 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found a rectangle shaped opening in a cliff face that is covered by foliage using a drone. The opening is above the edge of a 45-degree slope. I climbed to the opening this weekend and not far inside the entrance found several small pieces of possible Quartz with pieces of (maybe) silver in them. They were scattered around, on the floor of the audit. I also found a few pieces of dark colored stone with what looks like Gold in it, but not a professional and not really sure. I didn’t go far in to the mine and probably need better gear than just a flash light. I looked at the Annual Report of the Geological and Agricultural Survey of Texas and there aren't any old Spanish mines listed this far south in Llano county. Could this possible be an old Spanish mine they didn't find or not listed in the survey? I have permission to be on the property and have been interested in the history of the location, not necessarily in lost treasure. The area is on the market so my time may be limited. I’m not trying to be labeled as someone seeking to find lost treasure, just looking for historical truths to be reviled. I’ve come to trust professionals on this site and ask that they direct me accordingly. Who should I notify or am I just wasting my time?
Mine entrance 3.jpg Mine entrance 1.jpg Mine-1.jpeg View attachment 1845028 View attachment 1845029 View attachment 1845030 View attachment 1845036 View attachment 1845037 View attachment 1845038 View attachment 1845039

Attachments

• Mine-1A.jpeg
    Mine-1A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 212
  • quartz sliver.jpeg
    quartz sliver.jpeg
    468.9 KB · Views: 176
  • quartz sliver 2.jpeg
    quartz sliver 2.jpeg
    449.9 KB · Views: 195
  • quartz sliver 3.jpeg
    quartz sliver 3.jpeg
    400.1 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

txtea

Nov 16, 2009
Could very well be an old mine or prospect hole from the Spanish era. The area between hwy 16 and hwy 71 is full of old workings and prospect holes.
Just below Click, Tx along Sandy creek and Honey creek , silver has been found. The park service will deny any silver ever being found in the area, but I know of 3 mines that were worked up around Menard. There is silver and even traces of gold, but not enough to warrant a mining operation that would be profitable. The gold flakes in the black rock you found is probably Pyrite. There is a bunch of it along the upper part of lake LBJ going past Granite Shoals. Cool spot you found there! I used to have permission to explore up in that area, but the land was sold, and the new owner is not very cooperative lol.
The "lost Bowie silver mine" is up in that area along Honey creek, right before it gets to Packsaddle mountain. Nothing there, just another hole in the ground.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cds7189

Jun 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found something but not sure what. There are two entrances side by side covered with tree growth. Up the slope I saw areas of what may be mine tailings but not sure. Up the long flat rock slope to the entrance are several small round "post" holes in the rock. They are most all the same size and depth. I have a 2 pictures with one picture by my foot. One entrance, I think is a natural cave that just joins in to the other entrance. The tunnel comes to a split or T in two directions. One (to the right) comes to a dead end after a turn to the left and the other (to the left) after a ways in has a deep shaft straight down, in the middle of the floor of the tunnel that I'm not sure how to cross. The tunnel continues past the deep shaft and I "think" I can see the tunnel turn ahead but not sure if it's a dead end or a turn. There is a third cave high in the cliff, a ways away that is going to be hard to get to. I didn't see any tools in or around the entrances. This area is also between Hwy 16 and Hwy 71 but just south of Llano. It's so hot right now and I'm weighting for it to cool off before I go back.
IMG_1292.jpg IMG_1320.jpg IMG_1309.JPG IMG_1279.JPG

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hole by your foot does look to be man made, not naturally formed. I find a lot of holes, but natural ones are usually pretty smooth on the sides due to erosion. Are these most recent pictures behind the bush pictured in your first post or are these at a different location?

txtea

Nov 16, 2009
Let me know if you need a spotter when you want to go back. Shouldn't go climbing in there without someone watching your back. I can be up there in an hour or so.
Awesome area...so much history along Honey Creek.
Years ago, a friend and I searched all over the Dancer Flats area looking for whatever. Supposedly there was a large cave on the south side of Smoothing Iron mountain, but we never found it.

OP
OP
C

cds7189

Jun 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me know if you need a spotter when you want to go back. Shouldn't go climbing in there without someone watching your back. I can be up there in an hour or so.
Awesome area...so much history along Honey Creek.
Years ago, a friend and I searched all over the Dancer Flats area looking for whatever. Supposedly there was a large cave on the south side of Smoothing Iron mountain, but we never found it.
Sorry it took so long to answer. This is on Sandy Creek in Llano County. I was surprised by a divorce after 30 years and it has taken me some time to get over it. I will be going back before it gets hot and the snakes come out. This is in the same area of the reported “Lost Llano Lead Mine” and is in area high in the cliff side with thick vegetation that no one would easily find it. I found it with my drone. The climb can be done without ropes but is not easy to do. My name is Clint by the way.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread