Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
searched.gif
Until someone pipes in - I searched
tn_02.gif
and found a number of threads - here are just two of them...

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tramp,

I am the one from those threads about The "Hermit John" or "Lost Sheephole" stories. I have been all up and down the Sheepholes on the West, North, and Northeast Sides. Through the years there have been a ton of claims, prospect holes, and even mines all over the Sheepholes. If you think you have found it in any of the areas I have been, I highly doubt you have found our subject mine. Not saying that I am Gods Gift to lost mine hunting, but in the many years I have been beating up that range (and I am very thorough), I haven't seen anything that comes close to describing the place Hermit John described.

There are Spanish Mine Symbols in several places in the Sheepholes. That is what excited me in the first place about that range. The couple of actual Spanish Mine Trails I found led to mines that had been found, opened, and reworked in the late 1800s, and again during the depression. Whatever Spaniards worked those mountains found their hidden mines all the same way. They made very obscure gunsites out of holes in rocks and rock alignments.

Back to the Lost Sheephole Mine: Hermit John described it to L.O. Long as being about 12 miles East of Dale Dry Lake. Now, if John wasn't lying to Long, that places his mine somewhere in either the Southern Sheepholes or the Southern Calumets (or maybe even the Northern part of Joshua Tree).

Best of luck!

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread