Lost Treasures of Ecuador

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi TT

As far as I am aware, Vilcabamba was not deserted when the Spanish arrived - there is much evidence and documentation to support this. Some priests were even given special dispensation by the Incas to live there and preach their religion. Manco Inca was actually murdered there by Spanish renegades. Anyone who fled in the jungles, only did so when surprised by Spanish soldiers, but soon made their way back.

Were not the Punchao and the golden sun disk one and the same?

IPUK

thanks IPUK,,
I dont know about the priests,,could be,,but as far as the Conquistadors are concerned there communication with Vilcamba was with emissaries ..Infact what made the final push (in terms of conquest) for Vilcamba was the killing of two Conquistdaor emissaries by the inca chief in Vilcamba,,and later when he was captured and killed they used that allegation of the emmisaries as a reason though that act was illegal in Spanish law of the time and the Conquistador who decided the killing went above his role.
No the Punchao was a golden idol of a boy not a sun disk.

tintin treasure

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The golden sun disk was found in Tupac Amaru's camp during the final days of Inca resistance and sent to King Philip of Spain as "spoils of war". It is well documented in John Hemmings 'Conquest of the Incas' and is considered a pretty definitive book. The author also referred to it as the 'Punchao'.

IPUK

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Inca in origin?

Which country?

Is it actually "lost" or simply not that well documented?

Mmmmm.....intrigued....do tell Crow

IPUK

Hello IPIU in Peru. Not lost just little known I will post on it in the Inca treasures thread although I have never heard of treasure being found there the ruins of course are a treasure in itself.

Crow

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello IPIU in Peru. Not lost just little known I will post on it in the Inca treasures thread although I have never heard of treasure being found there the ruins of course are a treasure in itself.

Crow

Many thanks Crow.

If I'm not mistaken and memory serves me correctly, is it that place in northern Peru that was discovered in the 1950s or 1960s?

Not Inca of course (nor Chachapoya), but a well laid out grid structured city with well preserved ruins?

IPUK

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The golden sun disk was found in Tupac Amaru's camp during the final days of Inca resistance and sent to King Philip of Spain as "spoils of war". It is well documented in John Hemmings 'Conquest of the Incas' and is considered a pretty definitive book. The author also referred to it as the 'Punchao'.

IPUK

If the golden disk was another name for Punchao it could be the case,,,they were actually three statues or idols including the Punchao that were in Cusco.But the Punchao was more important.If it was the same as the so called sun disk then it was jackpot as the sun disk was at the heart of the inca civilization

tintin treasure

OP
OP
D

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TT, thanks for the article…….Colombia: Treasure Hunters Could Have Found ?El Dorado?
Now this line from the article: Many of the items were therefore created with no other purpose than being thrown in the lake as offerings to the gods. -

Are there other areas with lakes that shared this same religion? It would seem possible……the given the depth and amount of sediment reported, it would represent easy recovery (obviously assuming lakes can be different).

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recall in the book mentioned and several others, that the uncouth conquistadores that were sent to Cuzco on the orders of Pizarro and recommendation of Atahualpa to speed-up the ransom, raided the Coricancha in a very distasteful way. The priests did not allow them to take the larger Punchao - only the smaller golden one and a silver one - and insisted on keeping the larger one. As there was only 3 Spaniards and some of Atahualpa's northerners, the larger disc remained but disappeared when the Spanish returned several months later.

There was also the question of the golden staff that belonged to the very first Inca (Ayar Manco) that had disappeared.

Even though the Spanish seized/destroyed huge amounts, there was a lot more that has hidden, secreted and abandoned....

IPUK

PS. There was a book written in the 19th century by an English traveller who met the wife of a native resistance leader that had died. She showed this English gentleman, Inca gold and silver artefacts that had been retrieved by her husband to help buy arms and munitions to fight the Spanish. She said that her husband had been shown a secret location near a river that runs through old Cuzco. Elders had said that the objects could be retrieved either on the return of the Incas or to help remove the Spanish.
Intriguingly, the location was no more than a few hours walk....

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recall in the book mentioned and several others, that the uncouth conquistadores that were sent to Cuzco on the orders of Pizarro and recommendation of Atahualpa to speed-up the ransom, raided the Coricancha in a very distasteful way. The priests did not allow them to take the larger Punchao - only the smaller golden one and a silver one - and insisted on keeping the larger one. As there was only 3 Spaniards and some of Atahualpa's northerners, the larger disc remained but disappeared when the Spanish returned several months later.

There was also the question of the golden staff that belonged to the very first Inca (Ayar Manco) that had disappeared.

Even though the Spanish seized/destroyed huge amounts, there was a lot more that has hidden, secreted and abandoned....

IPUK

PS. There was a book written in the 19th century by an English traveller who met the wife of a native resistance leader that had died. She showed this English gentleman, Inca gold and silver artefacts that had been retrieved by her husband to help buy arms and munitions to fight the Spanish. She said that her husband had been shown a secret location near a river that runs through old Cuzco. Elders had said that the objects could be retrieved either on the return of the Incas or to help remove the Spanish.
Intriguingly, the location was no more than a few hours walk....

thanks IPUK that is interesting

Here are the various scenarios that might and is still be happening in relation to the INCA treasure

A)Of the portion of the inca treasure that was seized by the Spanish
-some of it was sent to Spain(melted or unmelted) and did make to the Royalities
-some of it was re-seized by Pirates who used it or in some cases hid it to this day
->of this portion that is hidden some get discovered( and make it to the news or hushed up)
-Some of it sunk in the various waters around SA or while en route to Europe for various reasons (storms,attacks by pirates etc)
->of this sunken portion some get discovered( and make it to the news or hushed up)

B)Of the part of inca treasure that was not seized by the Spanish and hidden away by he inacas

-Most of it lay hidden
->some bits of it gets discovered and makes it to the news or gets hushed up

tintin treasure

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
ttt,

It would not be far-fetched to imagine that the Conquistador's stole a good deal of the treasure for themselves and buried it.:dontknow:

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ttt,

It would not be far-fetched to imagine that the Conquistador's stole a good deal of the treasure for themselves and buried it.:dontknow:

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo

thanks Joe...yeah I forgot that aspect. The Conquistadores took there share and spent some and may have hidden some portion.

tintin treasure

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey TT

You're absolutely right, there's much left to uncover but you need a fortune to find a fortune....

Oh the irony....

IPUK

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey TT

You're absolutely right, there's much left to uncover. But you now need a fortune to find a fortune.....

Oh the irony....

IPUK

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello IPIU Only if ya want to keep it.:laughing7:

Piracy is not dead they have swapped their cutlass and eye patch for a cell phone and briefcase and call themselves lawyers. I am putting mine's daughter through college.:laughing7:

Crow

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah Crow
But what authorities and VIPs has our Capitan Crow incurred the wrath of to need the assistance of these latter-day cutthroats??

IPUK (who is now s******ing heartily)

OP
OP
D

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody who encounters anything of value will need the help of societies vermin (lawyers)…….they are like flies on sh**………
If you hope to avid them, you need to keep under the radar, tell nobody and if you find some precious metal artifact, consider melting it (even if it decreases value)…..if your find is big enough, you will certainly need to have assistance the vultures as the vultures and gov (and many in gov are vultures by training also) seek to benefit from your sweat and work….

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Doc they are a double edged sword. A necessary evil....

Some time ya need and some times ya get cut by em.

IPIU my Life is like a tide mark in sewerage farm always in the sh.. the level just varies. I am enjoying low tide at present:laughing7:

Crow

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc they are a double edged sword. A necessary evil....

Some time ya need and some times ya get cut by em.

IPIU my Life is like a tide mark in sewerage farm always in the sh.. the level just varies. I am enjoying low tide at present:laughing7:

Crow

Crow,in the general terms as well, sea pirates as well as privateers(''legal'' pirates) are still at large today.....for instance if you salvage some treasure in the indian ocean u may face actual somali pirates 8-):skullflag: and also if you happen to do business with say Iran and have a shipment sent a US navy ship( privateer 8-):laughing7: ) can come and confiscate what you sent. We live in pretty much the same world:laughing7:

tintin treasure

OP
OP
D

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TT, the world has not changed much has it? A small global elite control most things and extort money…..
Senor Cuervo……agree about the vultures as a necessary evil, but only because they have set up and control the system that way.almost became a lawyer like the rest of my family…..

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Doc Once upon a time there was emperors kings and queens and dukes etc... The names have changed Presidents, ministers and corporate directors but its still the pretty much the same deal if ya on the bottom of the food chain. So much for evolution or is it devolution????

TT I tell ya a quick yarn about a friend of Hardluck who lives in Indonesia. he hunts Ming Dynasty treasure ships. once he was at a dive location he had several small boats hanging around all day him waiting for dark. The captain of Boat an Ex Vietnam vet knew they were pirates waiting to strike at night. So the Skipper went down into a concealed compartment of his vessel and came up with a M-60 Machine Gun stood of the deck in full view of these boats held the firearm over his head for all to see. With in 5 minutes all small boats hanging around got the message and started up their engines and took off. Piracy is mostly by small time opportunities in South east Asia. When the Skipper showed He was better armed than them, they most likely at best maybe an mk47 or small arms with knives sought some one else to rob.

Not all places ya need Fire arms. But some places of world its just a necessary evil.

Crow

OP
OP
D

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
El Crow, you never go wrong with superior firepower and the M-60 is an awesome weapon……
And the pirates are not limited to the seas……..same thing on land but called different names…...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions