tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well TT,

During the 1970s, smugglers were trying to find a new route that would allow them to bypass authorities, their competitors and paramilitaries.
By chance, they came upon an area where there was stairways made of stone, raised platforms and handmade outlines of buildings, aqueducts etc..
They decided to investigate further as they knew they had come across something 'special'. What they uncovered was exactly that - special. Magnificent objects of gold started to appear on the black market and eventually came to the attention of the authorities as there was no reasonable explanation for such a large amount to appear so suddenly, other than a new and rich site being found. But the best and biggest pieces were long gone and only the crumbs left for the authorities to pick through.

Even today, the site is best visited by helicopter and the place has a small garrison of soldiers. A few hardy adventurers attempt to visit the site now and again and it takes about 3 days on mule which includes trekking precarious paths and forging rivers. Not for the faint of heart.

The intriguing thing is there is similar sites in the adjoining area, but a question of ethics, safety, logistics, not to mention it being in a national park, preclude any more digging.

I wonder what those contemplate that are privileged enough to hold and view those golden objects from such a time in the past...

IPUK

OP
OP
D

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So our old black bird has returned to the roost…….bienvenidos mi amigo……
Senor Cuervo, why don't you plan a trip down to Ecuador and come explore with us.

Interesting stuff for sure……..and yet the boots on the ground would seem essential to understand the pictures well…….the natives generally are well versed in local legends and even if not completely accurate, provide insight.
Vaya con Dios

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hola mi amigo I would if I wasn't so committed to other projects. Negotiations can take a frustrating amount of time. Especially entwined with legal confidentiality agreements.

Crow

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well TT,

During the 1970s, smugglers were trying to find a new route that would allow them to bypass authorities, their competitors and paramilitaries.
By chance, they came upon an area where there was stairways made of stone, raised platforms and handmade outlines of buildings, aqueducts etc..
They decided to investigate further as they knew they had come across something 'special'. What they uncovered was exactly that - special. Magnificent objects of gold started to appear on the black market and eventually came to the attention of the authorities as there was no reasonable explanation for such a large amount to appear so suddenly, other than a new and rich site being found. But the best and biggest pieces were long gone and only the crumbs left for the authorities to pick through.

Even today, the site is best visited by helicopter and the place has a small garrison of soldiers. A few hardy adventurers attempt to visit the site now and again and it takes about 3 days on mule which includes trekking precarious paths and forging rivers. Not for the faint of heart.

The intriguing thing is there is similar sites in the adjoining area, but a question of ethics, safety, logistics, not to mention it being in a national park, preclude any more digging.

I wonder what those contemplate that are privileged enough to hold and view those golden objects from such a time in the past...

IPUK

thanks IPUK..that is quite an interesting story. I assume it was not inca city as their pre pizzaro empire or post pizzaro outposts didnt go as fa as present day Colombia and thier alleged lost Paititi gold city is thought to be somewhere between Peru,Bolivia and Brazil.It seems there could be more such lost cities in the jungles of SA.

tintin treasure

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Continued....

Nowadays, you have would have to decide if you'd 'accept' that finding treasure might mean digging from burial sites from times gone by. I'd there a right or wrong answer?

Crow,

Have you ever "mooched" around the gold - bearing sites in Panama or Costa Rica?

TT,

Did you ever hear about the Lost Gold City discovered by Colombian drug smugglers?

IPUK

The only person who knows what, when and where should never advertise ones intentions even in the relative safety of a hypothetical question. Even on a public forum of course

I know the area quite well. Hardluck knows Costa Rica better. I know Panama fairly well. And many of the islands. Kanacki and I was given a job once.....enough said

The lost city you refer to is some times called the White City.

Crow

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No TT, not an Inca city. The Incas hated the jungles and humid places. They were a mountainous people and considered the tribes of the lowlands and jungles as backwards and uncivilized. Any structures found in such places, were probably outposts and garrisons. I very much doubt that there really was, or is, any lost city of Paititi.

The fact of the matter is, when the former puppet Inca - Manco - fled with the remnants of the nobles from Cuzco, they went and founded Vilcabamba. That was about as far as they were willing to travel, and in way, shape or form, had or would set-up a city in the wilds of the rainforests. There was an offer for the Incas to go and live with the Chachapoyas in northern Peru, away from the Spanish, but they chose to stay close to their former capital of Cuzco and ancient homeland near Lake Titicaca. Even whilst in a rebellious state, many Inca leaders went and stayed periodically in Cuzco to try and come to an agreement with the Spanish. The famous "Punchao" which had mysteriously disappeared from the Sun Temple in Cuzco before the conquistadores get seize it, was eventually found in Vilcabamba and taken back by the later Spanish authorities.

There probably is lost places, villages and shrines in the wildernesses of SA, but they're not Incan in origin.

IPUK

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello TT if my memory serves me right La Ciudad Blanca was in Honduras or Guatemala. There has been many claims of it being found. None have stood up to professional scrutiny.

Crow

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Crow

No, not the White City - I presume you are referring to the one in Honduras?

The place I mean was/is in Colombia "Ciudad Perdida".

With regards to Costa Rica and Panama, I simply wanted to ask if you'd come across the ChiriquĂ­ areas, as much gold had been found in and around the rivers and burial sites there during the 1930s and onwards.

I know better than to ask a question and presume it hypothetically:laughing7:

IPUK

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
No TT, not an Inca city. The Incas hated the jungles and humid places. They were a mountainous people and considered the tribes of the lowlands and jungles as backwards and uncivilized. Any structures found in such places, were probably outposts and garrisons. I very much doubt that there really was, or is, any lost city of Paititi.

The fact of the matter is, when the former puppet Inca - Manco - fled with the remnants of the nobles from Cuzco, they went and founded Vilcabamba. That was about as far as they were willing to travel, and in way, shape or form, had or would set-up a city in the wilds of the rainforests. There was an offer for the Incas to go and live with the Chachapoyas in northern Peru, away from the Spanish, but they chose to stay close to their former capital of Cuzco and ancient homeland near Lake Titicaca. Even whilst in a rebellious state, many Inca leaders went and stayed periodically in Cuzco to try and come to an agreement with the Spanish. The famous "Punchao" which had mysteriously disappeared from the Sun Temple in Cuzco before the conquistadores get seize it, was eventually found in Vilcabamba and taken back by the later Spanish authorities.

There probably is lost places, villages and shrines in the wildernesses of SA, but they're not Incan in origin.

IPUK

Hello IPIU

Again we are in agreement. I may of mentioned somewhere before in two Inca Andean languages Aymara and Quechua and variations of these dialects. None have a word of Paititi. In the early Spanish texts about Patiti confuses it with Eldorado. In Rio Dios region some tribes associate Patiti as another version Pachamama the Earth Goddess.

Crow

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

IPUK

Thanks IPUK....What fueled among other things the legend of a lost inca city(paititi) is the fact that when the Spaniards arrived at Vilcabamba it was totally deserted with all the treasures it had. They did capture most of the heads of the Incas following them and fighting them around the area.But the vast majority of the Vilcabamba nobles and the common people had disappeared somewhere deep in the jungles. The Punchao was indeed siezed however the Inca golden sun disk( the most important item in the inca empire) disappeared from Cusco for good and has never been seen again.

tintin treasure

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Crow

Yes, Paititi was cobbled from misinterpretation, hope of finding something even more fabulous than what had been discovered and destroyed - the Inca empire - and a pure and utter desire to get rich and famous quick. If there was something as fabulous as a "Lost Inca City", it would have been mentioned pretty frequently and had a trail of sorts.

Before anyone says "Machu Picchu!", that was a citadel and wasn't lost, it was simply abandoned and used by locals for growing small amounts of crops and shelter. Hiram Bingham was looking for Vilcabamba when he chanced upon it and even then, evidence points to early explorers having reached it before him.

IPUK

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Crow

No, not the White City - I presume you are referring to the one in Honduras?

The place I mean was/is in Colombia "Ciudad Perdida".

With regards to Costa Rica and Panama, I simply wanted to ask if you'd come across the ChiriquĂ­ areas, as much gold had been found in and around the rivers and burial sites there during the 1930s and onwards.

I know better than to ask a question and presume it hypothetically:laughing7:

IPUK

IPUK I thought ya still taking about Honduras Panama Costa Rica region, La Ciudad Blanca ? There is okay ya all throwing so many places around old Crow cannot keep up.:laughing7:

Yes Ciudad Perdida is in Columbia I have good french friend of Mine know it well. Many people go there these days. I got offered to go there earlier this year when I was in Tahiti Would ya like to see some pictures? Or maybe I should post in new topic in Inca treasure legends section forum?

Crow

Last edited:

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only person who knows what, when and where should never advertise ones intentions even in the relative safety of a hypothetical question. Even on a public forum of course

I know the area quite well. Hardluck knows Costa Rica better. I know Panama fairly well. And many of the islands. Kanacki and I was given a job once.....enough said

The lost city you refer to is some times called the White City.

Crow
Crow thanks .... I recall a movie called the " taolior of Panama" .. it is a must see spy movie...very much full of intrigue ...

tintin treasure

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks IPUK....What fueled among other things the legend of a lost inca city(paititi) is the fact that when the Spaniards arrived at Vilcabamba it was totally deserted with all the treasures it had. They did capture most of the heads of the Incas following them and fighting them around the area.But the vast majority of the Vilcabamba nobles and the common people had disappeared somewhere deep in the jungles. The Punchao was indeed siezed however the Inca golden sun disk( the most important item in the inca empire) disappeared from Cusco for good and has never been seen again.

tintin treasure

Hi TT

As far as I am aware, Vilcabamba was not deserted when the Spanish arrived - there is much evidence and documentation to support this. Some priests were even given special dispensation by the Incas to live there and preach their religion. Manco Inca was actually murdered there by Spanish renegades. Anyone who fled in the jungles, only did so when surprised by Spanish soldiers, but soon made their way back.

Were not the Punchao and the golden sun disk one and the same?

IPUK

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Crow

Yes, Paititi was cobbled from misinterpretation, hope of finding something even more fabulous than what had been discovered and destroyed - the Inca empire - and a pure and utter desire to get rich and famous quick. If there was something as fabulous as a "Lost Inca City", it would have been mentioned pretty frequently and had a trail of sorts.

Before anyone says "Machu Picchu!", that was a citadel and wasn't lost, it was simply abandoned and used by locals for growing small amounts of crops and shelter. Hiram Bingham was looking for Vilcabamba when he chanced upon it and even then, evidence points to early explorers having reached it before him.

IPUK

IPIU

You know there is another city just as big and grand as Machu Picchu?

Crow

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IPUK I thought ya still taking about Honduras Panama Costa Rica region, La Ciudad Blanca ? There is okay ya all throwing so many places around old Crow cannot keep up.:laughing7:

Yes Ciudad Perdida is in Columbia I have good french of Mine know it well. Many people go there these days. I got offered to go there earlier this year when I was in Tahiti Would ya like to see some pictures? Or maybe I should post in new topic in Inca treasure legends section forum?

Crow

Apologies Sir.

Getting ahead of myself:notworthy:

That would be nice to see, if you can possibly post some pics:thumbsup:

You don't half get around!!

And who had the temerity to call themselves a "Treasure Researcher Only" sometime back??:dontknow:

IPUK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread