Lots O Gold: 1830 United States Navy (Marines) Eagle Button

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots O' Gold: 1830 United States Navy (Marines) Eagle Button

Here is my near final result of the awesomely corroded button that I found on my last hunt. This button was about as bad as they come and required alot of attention and application to get this clean, ESPECIALLY, because of the amount of gilt still left on it which was certainly alot. The crud actually is what kept all the gilt on underneath that hard outer covering. This button took me about 6 days of cleaning to get to this point. The backmark is "Scovills ** Waterbury" which dates it to 1830. Many of these buttons in this area get this corrosion as you have probably seen with some of my other buttons including the U.S. Marines 1860 that I posted two months ago (which made American Digger Magazine for this month-thanks Steve S.:wink:) Hope y'all like as I put alot of elbow grease into this one, it really is phenominal how hard and tough this material is to remove from these buttons :P:

The button fresh out of the ground looked similar to this one however I didn't take a picture of this particular button before starting the cleaning process and I apologize for that...I must've got carried away trying to clean it...So, have a look at this one which was found not too far from this same site and imagine about twice as thick with corrosion:

My Pictures 052.jpg

Day 3: THIS IS it. Halfway through the cleaning process. You can still see that it has heavy buildup on it. This was about 3 days into vigorous cleaning:
MD Pics 325.jpg
MD Pics 324.jpg
MD Pics 323.jpg

Day 6: This is the near done product. Probably 5 to 6 mm of crud removed from the face! Very pretty button!

MD Pics 328.jpg

MD Pics 329.jpg

With a wee bit more soaking, I should be able to get that remaining hard-to-get clinger on corrosion out of the face of the Eagle :wink:

Upvote 0

Marc in VA

Jun 27, 2003
Stafford, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab Equinox 800, 3 Minelab XS Explorers
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Lots O' Gold: 1830 United States Navy Eagle Button

That is definately an early marine button!!!!! Notice the position of the head. It is bowed down with the rope/chain in its beak. There are a couple marine buttons that have 16 stars all the way around. Yours is a MC200A in Tices book. Backmark ***Scovills***Waterbury. This button was made in the early 1830s. Fantastic find bud!

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes, after finishing cleaning. I concur, the anchor is "offset" and it is indeed another Marines button for me. Thats what I was hoping...the Navies are nice but those Marines buttons are much harder to get :thumbsup:

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Lots O' Gold: 1830 United States Navy (Marines) Eagle Button

Thanks Sentinel! That information is a definite keeper!!

HH,
Ramapirate

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland

Great button, Josh!!!
You diggin in the water now? LOL

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fantastic button, A real beauty. :thumbsup:

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

PBK said:
Nice button! :thumbsup:

However, I believe it's U.S. Marine Corps, not Navy.

If you have Albert's button book, compare your find to #MC 5A on p. 109.

I was going to say... Marines... not Navy.. ahh hmm.. ;-) means it is a much better button!!

MonkeyBoy
USMC 1984-1989

whispers

Jan 1, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
dfx

Sentinal is one of my favorite, JP tunes AND that is one hellacious coin my friend.some day i hope will be my turn.unbeliebable??congratsx10

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350

wow fantastic job cleaning up a beauty of a button amazing all that gilt is still there congrats and hh

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That one cleaned up purdy, Senti!! :o Congrats on that find!

Nana :)

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MonkeyBoy said:
PBK said:
Nice button! :thumbsup:

However, I believe it's U.S. Marine Corps, not Navy.

If you have Albert's button book, compare your find to #MC 5A on p. 109.

I was going to say... Marines... not Navy.. ahh hmm.. ;-) means it is a much better button!!

MonkeyBoy
USMC 1984-1989

:D :wink: :wink: :wink: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tymcmurray said:
Great button, Josh!!!
You diggin in the water now? LOL

No, hunting old sites on saltwater ports/harbors where camps and forts once were found. :wink:

But I do hunt in the water sometimes during the summertime. Im bout to go and look at your post from this weekend as I just got back home from camping

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions