Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Re: Lots Of Great Talent On This Forum..."WHAT DO/DID YOU DO FOR A LIVING?????"

DigginThePast said:
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
Golf Course Superintendent for over 10 years. Not as fun as it sounds. Backbreaking, hot as hell, exposure to dangerous chemicals, and long hours. Only days you knew you were going to get off were Christmas and possibly Thanksgiving.

Laid off 1 week before Christmas in '08.

Currently back in school studying to be a history teacher. Working part time and operating a booth at the local antique mall.

Going by your avatar you've aged a bit. But can you autograph my picture? :laughing9:

LMAO! That da*n movie was one of the reasons I got into that stupid business.

Caddyshack it ain't - trust me.

Carl Spackler rules tho - he developed a hybrid bentgrass that you could both putt on and use to get high.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Right out of High School, went into the Navy. Spent the next 14 years in first the Navy, then the Army.

Moved back to New Orleans and ran a couple of night clubs in the French Quarter. Moved to California in 1995 for a girl Stayed here after we broke up. Been selling cars since 1996. Good money but very little time off.

Mike

ATPRoDon

Nov 26, 2007
Griffin, GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI, Whites V3i, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well I do two things....Been in the military fighter aircraft business for 36yrs and for 20yrs been peforming all over the USA as a Master Stage Hypnotist doing comedy shows!!

Me in the crowd on the F-16XL....

Attachments

• F16XLsmall.jpg
    F16XLsmall.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 798

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Currently ON STRIKE AGAIST VERIZON, Trying to fight Verizon and the corparate greed on the picket line.

Petrified

Aug 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter

Was a Taxidermist for 7 yrs then the economy got bad so had to look for another career. Now Im a professional artist.

Attachments

• r4q2erqwer.jpg
    r4q2erqwer.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 797

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Fascinated by all the careers I've seen here. Quite a few police officers. Wonder why?

As for me, started life as a lowly bank teller, then became a librarian, now I do claims work for an insurance company.

Given the state of things, I doubt I'll ever be able to retire. :-\

mudfoot

May 8, 2010
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350, Tesoro Vaquero, Silver uMax, Compadre

Database Administrator here. Been doing the IT developer thing since the early 70s and DBA for the last 5 yrs.

Also just got back into MDing 3 years ago; hadn't done it since about 80.

Hoping to retire soon too but my post-work income plan relies heavily on lottery tickets.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mudfoot said:
Hoping to retire soon too but my post-work income plan relies heavily on lottery tickets.

I'm thinking about getting into crack and heroin options trading. :icon_pirat:

Mike

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I've sold construction equipment for the past 24 years. I can't even imagine what retirement would be like for me. My wife talks about it more than I do, but she's the one that looks after our finances. :D I'm currently selling construction equipment for a company based in Maine and travel there twice a year, it's a beautiful state!

I got interested in metal detecting last year when I got laid off after being with the same company for 10+ years. This is one of the best hobbies I've ever had . . . next to golf of course! :laughing7:

naviegunner

May 26, 2011
Las Vegas, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

Teenager= gas station attendant (self serve), lumber mill, mcyd's fry cook, dishwasher and store clerk.
19= joined US Navy, 21 years later and ALOT of water/ships/stations under the keel= retired HYT=E-6. Hon. Discharged. 1981-2002
1st civilian job out= maint. mngr for a property mangmnt co w/700 properties. quit due to office desk stress.=2yrs.
Got job doing residential and commercial building maint (this is the real reason I quit prev. job) have been doing this job since and loving it even though things have slowed down w/the economy. just started detecting when I can.
been married same lady 25 yrs. this last aug. 2011. when I finally retire for the last time at 67-70 yrs. old I will do this (detecting)till I drop.
Jon.

Theakiki

Dec 28, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX550
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'm a banana salesman.

jjg70

Dec 12, 2010
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250. Garrett AT Pro

Firefighter and on the side do custom woodworking

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Started off pulling nails from used lumber for a non profit, was a janitor at a fabric store, After high school, spent 5 yrs in the Army as an MP. Civillian jobs included cook, bouncer, ran a private security company, a cabinet maker, and mechanic. I am 2 years shy of retirement, if I decide to, and am trying to stay busy. in the last 3 years, I have gone through chem, remodeled 2 houses, added a bedroom onto 1 house, and custom built displays for a sock monkey collection. lol I don't have much time to take the Ace out, but I have found blasting caps in the back yard, and various pieces of rusty metal in the pasture.

Best of luck to everyone, and happy hunting,
Bill

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

X-ray/CT scan technologist for the past 15 years.

chefrider

Feb 11, 2007
N ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
A T PRO

Started out in the Air Force as F4E crewchief during VietNam, then came home and worked for framing contractors, managed a paint factory, quality control for rug manufacturer, long haul truck driver for produce and oilfield equipment, drove trash truck, instrument man for survey crew. Then moved to north Alabama and married my best friend and went to school and graduated as a pastry chef. Became a master gardener and take care of my yard and my church. Been treasure hunting off and on since living in Fairfax Va. in the 60's. Civil war relics and history are my constant passion, and I've been known to collect bottles from time to time. Whew, sometimes I impress my self!

ScubaGold

Greenie
Oct 8, 2011
Tomball, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I oversee subsea installation safety in Angola Africa for a major oil company :thumbsup:

marco

Sep 22, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro

I take pictures of beautiful women.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Started out after college as a carpenter (couldn't wear a tie), did that for 20 years. Almost got killed in a construction accident, went back to college as an adult. Ugh! Loved half my professors and hated the other half. Harder to BS an adult than kids, I guess.

Bounced in a bar for fun.

Became a land surveyor, doing that for 16 years now. Coordinate Geometry in the woods! Following in the footsteps of earlier surveyors through research and skill; like a treasure hunt. Seem to have a knack for seeing back in time on the land. I love finding stuff that hasn't been seen for 160 years, especially if it's been missed by others. I love being physical, and really like the back country - birds, animals, plants, and above all, landscapes and vistas.

I collect books and old maps, and am interested in geology. I like math story problems.

I like helping people, and like most everyone I meet.

I've been MDing since the 80's, and enjoy it a lot.

fortunehunter

Aug 11, 2011
Lumberton, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

I was a 1st class machinist,then i was a first class lineman and crew leader for our electric department.The last 17 years i have owned a commercial pressure washing business.I am a professional real estate inspector mainly.I normally only have to work half a day.I love it!

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great topic!

Myself by trade I'm a pastry chef and my wife is an attorney. I guess you could say I'm the bread maker and she's the bread winner. But, people just aren't buying frilly cakes these days so I'm a lunch lady. And ya know what... I'm loving evey minute of it. The kids in my school eat really well. You wouldn't believe some of the things I can make out of chicken nuggets, pizza,and a bag of frozen peas. Plus I get all summer of to hit he beaches with my son.

Quick recipe I created at school

Sweet chile garden pasta

Pound of cold cooked pasta
1 cup La Choy sweet & sour sauce
1/2 cup Texas Pete hot sauce
1 pint grape tomatoes
2 large cukes diced
2 large green peppers diced

Mix all ingredients together and enjoy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread