Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went over to Half-Moon Gulch and camped last night. The place has a history going back into the gold rush days and before, and alleged associations with Jesse and Frank James, among others. In one little area back up in the trees off a clearing, perhaps a hundred feet by a hundred, I found all kinds of bullets. A little up the slope, there were various larger rocks scattered around, and on the downslope side of these I found smashed bullets or bullet fragments, but nothing on the upslope side. I didn't dig them all up. There was no sign of a cabin or whatever in the area, but I did find this hinge device which has me thinking 'strongbox' until I bring it home and Maria says, 'Oh, cool, you found somebody's door latch'. In the first pic I've included 3 modern day .44 lead balls for reference. (the shiny ones) Does anybody know how to tell the old ball ammo from the modern day? I'm doing more research on this area, because so far all I have is some hearsay and coffeshop rumors. I plotted out all the finds and took notes, cause to me this says gunbattle or something. Any info y'all have specifically on Half-Moon Gulch near Leadville would be appreciated, too.

Attachments

• bulletsa.JPG
    bulletsa.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 298
  • bulletsc.JPG
    bulletsc.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 306
  • bulletsd.JPG
    bulletsd.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 286
Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to hunt somewere like that :notworthy: all that History :o I wouldn't even be bothered if I found nothing :P just being there :o

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread