Lotsa Mercs and Rosies...Found Two Key Date Wheats Today Too...

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello Everyone,

My finds had been piling up over the past few hunts, so with today's finds, I thought a group picture would be appropriate.

Today, I met up with my hunting buds, Leo, Mike(ratman), Jayson(staydetuned), and Val for a group hunt at the Barrio park in Los Angeles. Leo was filming for an episode of his metal detecting program called "Finders Keepers". This is my third episode I've done with Leo. I think Leo and his producer/cameraman, Jeff, will have lots of great footage to make an exciting show from today's finds at the park. Armed with my 8" sunray coil today, my first signal I dug out of the ground was an '02 Injun. My next find turned out to be my first of two key date wheaties dug today, an '11S. After a few more wheaties, I finally had my first wilver, a mint condition '45 merc. About 15 ft. away from the merc, I received an iffiy signal, but could hear something better underneath the trash. About 6" down, I pulled a piece of a rusty ringtab out of the ground. About an inch away from the ringtab was a slightly worn '18 merc. I then went back to the area I found the victorian brooch last week, and got a zinc'y signal at 4". I dug down, and found an '09 wheatie. No S or vdb was visible. Oh well, it's always exciting to find those 1st yeart lincolns. I finished the day with 2 mercs, 1 IH, and about 16 wheaties(incl. '09, '11s(2), '12d). Wheatie #2500 is just around the corner ::)...My last wheat of the day turned out to be my second '11S keydate. Never done that before. All in all, it was a very good day. The 8" sunray found wilver and wheaties from an area we pounded two weeks in a row prior.

Jay, Val, Mike, and Leo, it was a pleasure, as always, to hunt with all of you. When hunting together, it makes our finds more exciting and rewarding. Til next time..

The other 7 silver and wheats in my pic is from two hunts at a park that I found my seated half at. I'm amazed that I'm still pulling silver from that park. It's been very good to me too.

Thanks for looking,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_2061 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    IMG_2061 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 552
Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan,
Congrats on the keydates and wilver.
Will Angelina Jolie or Jessica Alba be starring in this film with you? They could carry your spare equipment for you. ;D
Any idea when this film will be finished and available?
Thanks,
MM

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Another great set of finds Dan, congrats on the nice silvers and those key date coins. Keep em coming, good luck!

Smiles!
BDoo

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
??? Dan in the movies? Let's hear all the details! Great Merc, it does look mint from what I can see. Its always a pleasure reading your post Dan. Here's hoping the Wilver Gods keep blessing you with their gifts! Congrats on the Key dates, too.

Desertfox

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow !!!!!!!!!! you made a haul at that sight. A lot of silver and the keydates are also awesome !!!!!

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Awesome recoveries, bud. You are frickin' great!

You and your friends make the hobby fun. The best part of the hunt is sharing in the finds with your friends. I wish you luck on getting to 600!

KirkPA aka Pee-wee Evans

P.S. A classic Pee-wee/Francis moment:

Francis: "Morning, Peeeee-weeeeee."
Pee-wee: "Hello, Francis."

After that dialogue, they start the hilarious, "I know YOU are, but what am I?" (back and forth about 5 times)

Pee-wee ends it by stating, "Infiniti." LMFAO

Attachments

• francis.jpg
    francis.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 436

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Silver comes first, but I also enjoy finding key date wheats; it just doesn't happen very often for me. Nice finds!

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Nice finds. Those semi-key dates are tough to find.

Key date wheat pennies are without a doubt 1909 SVDB, 1914D and 1922. Numismatists would put the 1911S as a semi-key date.

Bob

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KirkPA said:
Awesome recoveries, bud. You are frickin' great!

You and your friends make the hobby fun. The best part of the hunt is sharing in the finds with your friends. I wish you luck on getting to 600!

KirkPA aka Pee-wee Evans

P.S. A classic Pee-wee/Francis moment:

Francis: "Morning, Peeeee-weeeeee."
Pee-wee: "Hello, Francis."

After that dialogue, they start the hilarious, "I know YOU are, but what am I?" (back and forth about 5 times)

Pee-wee ends it by stating, "Infiniti." LMFAO
Great finds Capt. You are the silver king.

Kirk, my brother must have watched that movie 200 times in the 80's when it came out. I love the movie but 200 times kind of burned me out. Thanks for bringing me back. I like to do a little reminiscing every now and then. Lol
By the way didnt that dude (Paul Reubens..AKA Pee Wee) get picked up for doing an unmentionable thing in an adult movie theater?

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Way to go on another wilver kind of day, Captn! You and your Southern California buddies are probably the best Minelab users in the US! I can't wait to see what you find in Iowa and Nebraska.

staydetuned

Aug 27, 2007
San Francisco, California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Yeah, that was a great day Dan; I'm glad we got it on film :) I'll post mine in a sec...

Kirk: The best part...

http://www.angelfire.com/rock2/thesoundofmydrums/sounds/hose.wav

PW: I wanna see Francis
Doorman: Francis is busy
PW: Busy doing what?
Doorman: He's having a bath
PW: Oh really! Where are they hosing him down?

Attachments

• peeweedance2.gif
    peeweedance2.gif
    6.6 KB · Views: 248
OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hey, Thanks for all the replies everyone. Yesterday's hunt was great!

My hunt today was even better...I'll post soon.

Kirk, don't worry....I won't tell anyone where you went today....Hehehhheheee.....I know you'd rather have been datecting...Pee Wee, dude!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Had to come back for more. Lots of great treasures there Dan.
Man, you sure are proficiant on finding those silver dimes. Awesome buddy!

Smiles!
BDoo

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
All those wheats I've been meaning to ask about key dates?? Any 1909-S wheats yet?? Congrats on TWO 1911-S!!! Those totals get better and better!

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Jack(IN) said:
All those wheats I've been meaning to ask about key dates?? Any 1909-S wheats yet?? Congrats on TWO 1911-S!!! Those totals get better and better!

Hi Jack,

I have not found an '09 S this year. I've got 3 or 4 '09, and one '09 VDB, but no '09S VDB's yet. I did find an '08 S Injun this year.

HH,
Dan

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver. My previous detector was an EX and the very first coin I found with it was along the Owens River, (Bishop, CA.) and it was a 1909S in beautiful condition. Things have gone downhill from there. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread