Louisiana Luxury Tax token & Possible Trade Weight?

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Louisiana Luxury Tax token & Possible Trade Weight?

Well Folks, I finally finished up the last corner of the pasture I was gridding off. No darn coins, but I did find this token today. :thumbsup: What were these used for?
I also found a small square that I'm hoping is another apothecary / coin weight like the other one I found.
Here is my last one:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,149435.msg1072841.html#msg1072841

Also two informative links on these coin weights provided by PBK and Don in SJ:
http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/C/coinweights.htm

http://www.ourpasthistory.com/metal/trade-weights

What do you think? It is the same metal material as my last one too.

I did a first grid on all three pastures, and have pounded the yard pretty good now. My only option now is to venture out into the woods with the ticks, snakes, and poison ivy. :'( NOT my favorite type of MDing.

Here's my finds:

*Louisiana Luxury Tax token (aluminum)
Any idea of the age?

*3-ringer bullet

*Apothecary / Coin weight ? (hopefully)

*Round brass beveled piece. No markings on it. No idea what it is?

*Railroad sign reflector. My 2nd one.

*Asst's others.

Thanks for looking.
-MM-

Attachments

• MVC-060S.JPG
    MVC-060S.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 570
  • MVC-068S.JPG
    MVC-068S.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 549
  • MVC-067S.JPG
    MVC-067S.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 537
  • MVC-066S.JPG
    MVC-066S.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 539
  • MVC-065S.JPG
    MVC-065S.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 528
  • MVC-064S.JPG
    MVC-064S.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 525
  • MVC-063S.JPG
    MVC-063S.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 533
  • MVC-062S.JPG
    MVC-062S.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 535
  • MVC-061S.JPG
    MVC-061S.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 573
Upvote 0

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Louisiana Luxury Tax token & Possible Trade Weight?

When I think of luxury tax, I usually think of the New York Yankees....not small alluminum coins. :icon_pirat: Nice finds Doug. I'm not too fond of the ticks either. :P but if I was finding coppers they wouldnt bother me as much. :laughing7: :laughing7:

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Evolution said:
When I think of luxury tax, I usually think of the New York Yankees....not small alluminum coins. :icon_pirat: Nice finds Doug. I'm not too fond of the ticks either. :P but if I was finding coppers they wouldnt bother me as much. :laughing7: :laughing7:

That's just it. I'm NOT finding any coppers. Only ticks. :'( :'( :'( ;D ;D I wouldn't mind those easy to see large ticks like up North, but these tiny deer ticks are very tough to spot. Filthy buggers!
Thanks Ev.
-Doug-

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds, Doug. Here some info on the Luxury Tax Token..

The first tax tokens issued by the state of Louisiana were in conjunction with the Luxury Tax Act of 1936.

This was a tax of 2% on selected items. Public Welfare Revenue Act of 1938 replaced this Luxury Tax.

It was termed "Luxury Tax" because of the numerous exemptions. Although the law specifically exempted about seventy-five items from the tax, the state released an expanded list of exemptions.

This list included such items as alcoholic beverages, bottle openers, cigars, lawn mowers, maple syrup, and plum pudding. Merchants and consumers claimed it was confusing because it taxed articles as necessities while exempting some classed as luxuries.

Louisiana Luxury Tax Tokens
tax1.jpg
1 Mill and 5 Mills​

The tokens were released on October 1, 1936 and within ten days more than four million tokens were in circulation in the New Orleans area alone. No records are available concerning the total number of Luxury Tax tokens struck. The Luxury Tax Act of 1936 was repealed by the Public Welfare Revenue Act of 1938. All Luxury Tax tokens were to be withdrawn with a deadline for redemption of December 31, 1938.

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

very nice finds MM :thumbsup:

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Doug,
Tokens are cool. 8) 1937 is cool too. ;D

You will not believe this but the last time Nate and I were out in the woods - about an hour after I got home I felt something crawling up the back of my neck. Yes, it was a tick! No, it wasn't big and brown (like the ones in Virginia and MD) it was small and redish. In the woods I had followed a deer trail and came within 20 feet of a huge deer. Do you think it was from the deer? In my whole life I have never gotten a tick in Ohio so this is not good. It kind of makes you a little concern about going in the woods.....

Bob

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

River Rat said:
Great finds, Doug. Here some info on the Luxury Tax Token..

The first tax tokens issued by the state of Louisiana were in conjunction with the Luxury Tax Act of 1936.

This was a tax of 2% on selected items. Public Welfare Revenue Act of 1938 replaced this Luxury Tax.

It was termed "Luxury Tax" because of the numerous exemptions. Although the law specifically exempted about seventy-five items from the tax, the state released an expanded list of exemptions.

This list included such items as alcoholic beverages, bottle openers, cigars, lawn mowers, maple syrup, and plum pudding. Merchants and consumers claimed it was confusing because it taxed articles as necessities while exempting some classed as luxuries.

Louisiana Luxury Tax Tokens

1 Mill and 5 Mills​

The tokens were released on October 1, 1936 and within ten days more than four million tokens were in circulation in the New Orleans area alone. No records are available concerning the total number of Luxury Tax tokens struck. The Luxury Tax Act of 1936 was repealed by the Public Welfare Revenue Act of 1938. All Luxury Tax tokens were to be withdrawn with a deadline for redemption of December 31, 1938.

RR,
Thank you so much for the info, now I can put label it with a date. Very cool. I guess it's not going to make me rich, but I love finging tokens. :thumbsup:
Thank you,
MM

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Lish...
You always find the Good Stuff... :thumbsup:
Rock On with your bad North Carolina Hungry for Relics self... :headbang:
Luv the token - Got no clue on the trade weight thingy...
Nick

Nick,
You're a total nut. ;D (but we like that) :thumbsup:
Thanks Buddy. It looks like the only way I can win our bet now is either by hitting the woods or finding another old property to search. :icon_scratch:
Decisions, decisions. ;D :wink:
-Lish-

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Interesting relics, Doug!

I've actually found a couple of the luxury tax tokens myself, but they were from other states.

Speaking of ticks....one fell off my shirt into the car the other day after I was detecting some wooded areas. I burned it with the cigarette lighter before it could get away.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mirage said:
Doug,
Tokens are cool. 8) 1937 is cool too. ;D

You will not believe this but the last time Nate and I were out in the woods - about an hour after I got home I felt something crawling up the back of my neck. Yes, it was a tick! No, it wasn't big and brown (like the ones in Virginia and MD) it was small and redish. In the woods I had followed a deer trail and came within 20 feet of a huge deer. Do you think it was from the deer? In my whole life I have never gotten a tick in Ohio so this is not good. It kind of makes you a little concern about going in the woods.....

Bob

I hate those suckers!!! No pun intended. You know, all the years growing up in Indiana I never got one either. The dogs,yes, but me, no.
They were really bad down here last year. I can't wait until winter though. :'( Maybe I'll just dig up the pull tabs you left for me in the yard? ;D :wink:
Take care,
MM

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Captn_SE said:
Interesting relics, Doug!

I've actually found a couple of the luxury tax tokens myself, but they were from other states.
Speaking of ticks....one fell off my shirt into the car the other day after I was detecting some wooded areas. I burned it with the cigarette lighter before it could get away.HH,CAPTN SE
Dan

Dan,
Don't do that. It just p-sses them off worse. ;D ;D ;D I didn't even think they had ticks out there in Calif. :icon_scratch:
I never remember mosquitoes when I lived in San Jose either. LunaTICKS yes, but not ticks. ;D
Doug-

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Urghhhh! I had a tiny tick last weekend. I was not impressed! I'd be over it if you folks would stop bringing it up. Every time I stop itching, we have to bring it up again? I need to go use a door casing! :D

Identify your tick if you'd like, deer, hopefully size A. I did'nt bother to measure it, but it was tiny, thankfully!

http://www.oes.org/html/how_2_identify_different_ticks.html

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

COUNTRY GIRL said:
Urghhhh! I had a tiny tick last weekend. I was not impressed! I'd be over it if you folks would stop bringing it up. Every time I stop itching, we have to bring it up again? I need to go use a door casing! :D

Identify your tick if you'd like, deer, hopefully size A. I did'nt bother to measure it, but it was tiny, thankfully!

http://www.oes.org/html/how_2_identify_different_ticks.html

Thanks CG. Very good info. Here's the ones that ride home on me.
-MM-

Attachments

• My ticks.jpg
    My ticks.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 512

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neat stuff MM. Me and ticks don't mix well. I hate those things :violent1:

Karinus

Jan 5, 2008
Morrison Co. MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT

Its the little deer ticks that you really don't want stuck to you. Here's what we do- Tuck your pants into your boots or socks then soak everything up to your knees in deet. No more ticks.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

EWWW! I hate ticks! >:( But I sure do love that three ringer! :thumbsup: Makes ya wonder how those tax tokens got so far from home too. :D

Congrats on those finds, MM! 8) Nana

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice finds MM :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
What I hate about ticks is when I have to burn them with a match to get them off. ;D ;D

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Very cool finds! I love that token! Seems we all hate the ticks though! :tard: NASTY!! Have not had one on me in a few years thankfully but everytime you guys talk about them I can feel the lil suckers again! Nasty nasty nasty!!

Turborick

Nov 16, 2006
Central Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75

We are already into tick season here in central Missouri and a few days ago while I was looking online for the best tick repellent I ran across this site. I have not personally tested this yet but the article convinced me. Good luck avoiding the ticks.

BTW, cool token, I love finding tokens. HH.

Rick

http://www.wildernetwork.org/deet_vs_permethrin.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions